Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
NCSAM 2013 Highlights
NCSAM 2013 Highlights
As the 10th anniversary of National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) wraps up, we would like to thank the higher education community for another successful celebration. Colleges and universities continue to offer fun, creative activities and events for students, faculty, staff, and their local communities. Here are just a few highlights.
NCSAM Champions: 100 higher education institutions showed their support along with individuals, businesses, organizations, and government.
NCSAM Activities: Over 190 institutions shared their plans during the month of October. See what events took place by visiting the NCSAM Resource Kit.
Weekly Guest Blogs: Following NCSA's weekly themes, guest bloggers provided fresh content on a variety of security-related issues.
- Week 1: Ten Years, Five Weeks, One Theme: Cybersecurity is Our Shared Responsibility by Michael Kaiser, NCSA
- Week 2: TouchID: Net Benefit or Net Loss? by Joshua Wright, Counter Hack Challenges
- Week 3: Cybersecurity Education by Ron Pike, Cal Poly Pomona and Building Effective and Meaningful Cybersecurity Policies by Dr. Barbara Endicott-Popovsky, University of Washington
- Week 4: How to Protect Yourself from Cybercriminals by Martin Holste, Open-Source Security Tools
- Week 5: Cybersecurity and the Electric Grid
Webinar: A recording of the October 1 EDUCAUSE Live! webinar, "8 Mobile Device Security Steps" with Larry Pesce (Sans Certified Instructor and Senior Security Analyst), is available, along with the slides and chat transcript.
#NCSAM on Twitter: Colleges and universities joined the #NCSAM conversation by tweeting daily tips, resources, and more.
We hope that campuses will continue to educate and train students, staff, and faculty on the importance of security awareness throughout the year—not just in October. Be sure to check out the Cybersecurity Awareness Resource Library for new materials or inspiration as you continue planning over the next year.
Stay Tuned: Data Privacy Month 2014!
Please consider celebrating Data Privacy Month (DPM) on your campus in 2014. Data Privacy Day is January 28, 2014. The higher education community will promote data privacy-related resources, activities, and events January 28-February 28. EDUCAUSE will kick off DPM with a webinar on January 30, 2014. Please save the date!