Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Community Leadership Award
About the Award
The EDUCAUSE Community Leadership Award recognizes members for their roles as community leaders and active volunteers in professional service to the broader higher education IT community. This leadership may be demonstrated in a variety of ways, through both formal and informal roles, including appointed, elected, or volunteer positions within EDUCAUSE along with other membership organizations, consortia, and associations representing the higher education information technology and resources community. Contributions are expected to be at a level beyond an institution, with broad reach across the professional community.
Awards will be made at the discretion of the EDUCAUSE Recognition Committee, which may choose to grant one award, no award, or multiple awards in any one year.
Anyone may submit a nomination for the Community Leadership Award with the nominee's permission. Self-nominations are also accepted. Nominations must clearly document why the candidate should be considered for this award. All nominations must contain sufficient information to inform the selection process without additional research. Each nomination submitted must adhere to the following outline and page counts.
The nomination must include:
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume (upload)
Include with the nomination the candidate's vitae or professional resume to provide the selection committee with a more comprehensive overview of the candidate’s accomplishments and experiences. Please note the CV or resume is not a substitute for any of the required information listed below.
- Description of how the candidate fulfills the criteria described under the "Guidelines and Eligibility" section for this award (upload). (750-1200 words/2-4 pages)
- References (3 uploads)
Include a minimum of three letters of reference for the candidate from current or former colleagues, employers, editors, or associates. The letters should focus on the candidate’s leadership ability, vision, professional skills, influence, and accomplishments that qualify the candidate for this award.
Guidelines and Eligibility
Nominees must be or have been contributing members of our professional community, directly associated with managing information technology and resources in higher education, and individuals who have made significant and demonstrable contributions to the field.
- Candidates may not be currently serving on the EDUCAUSE Board, staff, or Recognition Committee.
- Anyone within or outside of higher education may submit nominations for the award.
- Each candidate will be judged initially on the following primary factors:
- Substantive participation and leadership on EDUCAUSE committees, working groups, mentoring activities, etc.
- Evidence of impact on and engaging others in the profession.
- Contributions considered to have had an impact in the EDUCAUSE community and/or broader higher education IT community.
- Speaker and/or author advancing topics of interest, regardless of media to the broader higher education IT community.
- Leadership demonstrated in institutions currently or previously employed.
- In addition, the Recognition Committee will also look for evidence that supports:
- Breadth of the community engagement portfolio.
- Leadership in addressing issues, influencing change, or new directions from the perspective of higher education.
- Leadership in areas of professional development with technology organizations.
Nominations for the 2014 Leadership Award are now closed. Receipts will be announced fall 2014.
Award recipients are recognized at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference and receive complimentary registration, travel, and housing for the conference. Contributions are made to a scholarship fund of the recipient's choice in the amount of $3,000. A session at the Annual Conference is dedicated to the award and highlights of accomplishments added to the award gallery on the EDUCAUSE website.
Learn more about the Community Leadership Award recipients.