Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Write a Proposal
We have resources to help every step of the way—preparing to submit a proposal, designing your presentation, delivering or facilitating a session, and leveraging your hard work. See what the speaker concierge recommends for success!
Your Guide to Writing a Successful Conference Proposal
1. Read through the Call for Proposal (CFP). A PDF of the online form is provided for your convenience.
2. Examine the event itself. What are the major themes? Who attends this conference? Is there an online audience? Explore the event as you consider your own potential to make an impact. How will your experiences or institutional demographic add value to this event?
3. Review resources the Speaker Concierge recommends. Learn more about what constitutes a quality proposal. Identify creative strategies that will help set yours apart.
4. Spend some time brainstorming your session before you begin writing. What will be your key take-aways? How can you actively involve participants? Will you present face-to-face, online, or both? How does your audience impact your session plan?
5. Draft your proposal. Begin by copying from the CFP form and pasting into Word. Complete each section thoughtfully. Provide supporting materials and citations where appropriate. Spell check! Request feedback from a knowledgeable colleague or experienced presenter. Keep in mind that stated learning outcomes and session abstract will factor into both proposal reviewer evaluations and session evaluations.
6. Update your EDUCAUSE profile. Don’t underestimate the power in your profile. Be sure your title and contact information are correct. Include relevant professional experiences. Your expertise in this subject area is important to proposal reviewers as well as participants attending your session.
7. Copy and paste content from your document into the online CFP form. Double-check details and format. Click Submit. That’s it, for now!