Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Did you participate in the Screen2Screen today? If so, what struck you from Laura's talk.
I thought that Laura's presentation and the follow-on discussion was excellent. I'm now really looking forward to hearing more from her at the Face2Face 2012. It would be great to share our take-aways with the list while they are fresh. I'll start:
- The importance of the two simple graphics - the Wedding Cake and the Heat Map - in convincing campus partners of the need for change and in selling her vision. Simple pictures do carry a lot of impact.
- The fact that they were very explicit that change started with culture and governance even though they were talking about changing IT investment and spend. It wasn't the other way around - fix the IT Infrastructure first.
- The way they made it apparent to the departments that they were using their resources on commodity services and efforts, not on the high-value next-generation IT services that would drive innovation in Teaching and Learning and Research.
- The close tie to Project/Program Management (Project Portfolio Management) in rationalizing and executing the complex change they are going through.
- How huge the NextGen initiative really is at U-Mich. It touches on so many aspects and changes so many things at once. It is really an amazing transformation they are attempting.
What struck you?
ps. I'm sorry we didn't have the pieces in place to record this event. I'll look into that going forward. It would have been great to have in the archive.
********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.