Main Nav

**ITANA Call 19-January-2012** **Attending** Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin-Madison (chair) Glenn Donaldson, Ohio State Andrew Gallo, George Washington U. Dave Donoho, George Washington U. Piet Niederhausen, Georgetown Scott Fullerton, University of Wisconsin-Madison Chris Eagle, U. Michigan Sharif Nijim, Notre Dame Leo Fernig, U. British Columbia Paul Hobson U. British Columbia Steve Olshansky, Internet2 (scribe) **New Action Items** [AI] (All) Think about topics for potential Educause session(s). **Carryover Action Items** [AI] (Jim, Kasia, and anyone interested) will draft a statement about what is different about EA in higher-ed. [AI] (All) interested in helping with the rebranding effort, contact Jim [AI] (Marina) will identify UC system people to present on their SOA initiative on a future ITANA call. [AI] (All) interested in participating in the rebranding effort - contact Jim off-list. [AI] (All who attended F2F) add your notes to the wiki [AI] (Jim Leous) send out the Penn State ARB review documents **Discussion** - SOA Working Group Progress Report This group has now met several times, and is working on defining terms initially, as well as the mission scope. Next step is to identify likely SOA information sources, and contacts who would be helpful. Standardized questions are being developed: Wordsmithing - SOA Implementation or Solutions? Paul H (UBC): I really like the HP model from a simplicity POV. There is also the Open Group Service Integration Maturity Model (OSIMM), which is available for download at (requires registration) SOA progress to date is fairly early among the campuses represented on the call, largely still in the discussion/design phases. Traction seems to be slow in coming. What is holding this back? SOA Reference Architecture document too that bridges back to TOGAF - Rebranding and Going forward Jim presented about ITANA at the recent CSG meeting. Referring to the capability map (which can be seen at it was proposed that a regular Google+ Hangout be setup for interested people new to this space. Jim will wrangle this on the list, stay tuned. Outreach and publications are another area that could be expanded. SOA group presenting at Educause is one possibility. A standard template for deliverables or work products as a charge to subteams was proposed, especially around outreach and knowledge transfer. Content management to date has been ad hoc, perhaps a more formalized team focused on this would be useful. New Wiki Layout (see the wiki page: ) In the library section, people interested in particular topic areas are encouraged to dive in and work to clean up and expand them. Overall, all interested in working on the wiki are encouraged to dive in and do so. Instruction - can we find people in our business schools to do brief sessions or tutorials on future calls? Suggestions are welcome. Social networking - Jim is working on linking these and creating a more seamless flow, and volunteers are welcome. ITANA book club - ad hoc peer group book groups would be great, if/as people are so inclined. See ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at
smime.p7s4.69 KB