Main Nav

Participate in this Group

Search This Group

August 26, 2013 | James Phelps
Hi All, If you were interested in the SOA API discussion, you should have just received (or should receive shortly) an email for the listserv. We will cross post to ITANA so you don't need to be on the list if you just want to track events and outcomes. This is just for those who wanted to be involved in the initial discussion. If you replied that you wanted to be involved in the initial discussion and did not get the listserv announcement email, let me know. Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
August 26, 2013 | James Phelps
I had twice as many respondents and I thought I would when I put out the call for interested parties to discuss SOA  and API Management.   

We will hold the discussion during the normal ITANA call time this week.  It will be the sole topic for the call.  We will use the ITANA Adobe Connect Session and Phone Bridge (details below).

Agenda:  

- Review who is doing what, case studies kinds of discussion
- See what next steps we would like to take
- Discuss a series of Googel+ Hangouts to share our case studies (recorded)

Talk with you on Thursday.

Jim




To Join The Call:

Adobe Connect URL:...
August 20, 2013 | James Phelps
I just sent an email to everyone who replied who said they wanted to participate in the SOA API discussion. If you didn't get this email (don't get it in the next little while) and you think you should have gotten it, please let me know. Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
August 14, 2013 | Joel Banez
I'm on the ground floor of a similar effort here at Westmont.  Initial comparisons have led me to think that WSO2 has all the components allowing flexibility on where we land.

I also came across the Kurogo Platform and since we have a very small software development staff am thinking how small institution like us can realistically support, maintain, and deploy an ESB effort and structure inexpensively.

Joel Banez
Director of College Software
Westmont College

July 31, 2013 | James Phelps
You all get one hour back in your week. I'll put a call out for agenda items again prior to the next call. Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
July 30, 2013 | James Phelps
Do you have something to discuss this Thursday? Something to share? A question for the group? If so, let me know. If not, we will cancel this week's call. Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
July 30, 2013 | James Phelps
Hi all, We have rolled up the email notes, conference call minutes and various resources re: Solution Architecture. You can find the roll-up on the wiki here: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/Solution+Architects+and+EA+Ju... Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
July 30, 2013 | Emily Eisbruch
Draft Minutes, ITANA call of 18-July-2013

Attending
Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin - Madison (chair)  
Brenda Reeb, University of Rochester  
Mojgan Amini, UCSD   
Rich Stevenson, University of Maryland University College  
Michael Janke, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Arin Komins, University of Chicago   
Scott Fullerton, University of Wisconsin-Madison  
Andrew Gianni , University of Buffalo  
Joe Tarter, UW-Madison  
Marina Arseniev, UC Irvine 
Glenn Donaldson, The Ohio State University
Chris Eagle, U. Michigan

DISCUSSION

What is a Solution Architect?

Resources discussed on the call are linked from:...
July 10, 2013 | David Huth
Here at the University of Utah we are refreshing how we think about reference data.  Many data concepts (Location, Organization, Person, etc.)  are basically unchanged in the way they were implemented many years ago, people have learned to live with legacy data constraints and we have a tendency rather than to address data issues we apply situational fixes.  So, we are systematically picking data objects and building to-be conceptual models with the intent of taking these to physical when the opportunity presents itself.  This will be a long slow process.

Attached is an example of where we are at with the location concept.   This is only a part of the picture because there are representations of processes that need to be worked on to fix reporting issues tied to location (space utilization, F&A calculations, classroom utilization, etc.), as well as links to absolute location information in GIS systems.
...
July 9, 2013 | James Phelps
Have a look at our Brick Diagrams.  We didn't get broad traction for using them as an on-going planning tool though they pop back up periodically.


Each link in the Taxonomy list is to a brick diagram.  Some are more mature than others.  The format worked well for our discussions.  We didn't have a mature framework to actually use them for governance.  Creation of the diagrams was pretty easy.   Our CFO and COO are still interested in following-up with the brick diagram practice.

Here is the higher lever jump-off page that talks a bit more about the Brick Diagram practice:  

June 18, 2013 | Brian Savage
Here's a Solutions Architect PD from a non-profit. http://www.slideshare.net/Billy82/solutions-architect-job-descriptiondoc Cheers, Brian On 06/18/2013 04:37 PM, Jim Phelps wrote: > Hi All, > > The Application Development and Integration ( ADI ) group within UW-Madison's Division of Information Technology is researching a potential new role for a "Solutions Architect" and is seeking contacts or other informational resources from institutions with a similar functional role already in practice. More specifically, we'd like to collect information on exactly how the role is being used in practice, along with any lessons learned. And, of course, sharing of actual PDs would be a plus. > > At a very high level, the role concept would be rooted in R&D and the discovery of options/solutions...
June 10, 2013 | Honora Hogan

We are thinking about it, in fact I had a meeting this morning where it was discussed.  We’ve done a few on-off projects in the past that provide enterprise data to services managed outside of central IT.  We have a couple of applications that query data through our LDAP proxy service and one that we wrote a specific web services interface for but we want to look at the possibility of a more standard and scalable approach.   Besides determining a suitable technical solution, we know we will need to work out a request and approval process that includes the data owners and some sort of application review to verify accurate use of the data and that appropriate access controls are being used in the consuming application. We also want to make sure application owners are informed about existing record policies.

 

We are in the early stages of thinking through...

June 5, 2013 | James Phelps
Under 3 - I want to discuss the Learning Architecture Face2Face and the work so far. 
Under 3 - Also - Registration is open for the Face2Face.  Working on a time for the (un)Conference.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Phelps <jamesphelps@WISC.EDU>
Subject: [ITANA] Next Call Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 2PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4)
Date: June 5, 2013 8:44:59 AM CDT
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE ITANA Constituent Group Listserv <ITANA@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

Next...
May 30, 2013 | James Phelps
Hi Shane and welcome. I just updated the wiki with the next call day and time - June 6th at 2PM EDT. The calls are every 2 weeks on Thursday at that time. I send out the final agenda and dial in instructions prior to the call (usually Tuesday before but sometimes Wednesday). There is also a calendar of events that you can subscribe to that should be up-to-date. You can see the calendar here and then go to the Google Calendar to subscribe. https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/ITANA+Calendar Jim Phelps, Chair
May 9, 2013 | Leo Richard Fernig

Hi All:

The Learning WG status has been added here: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/Conference+Calls

---

Leo Fernig

Enterprise Architect
Information Technology | Engage:Envision:Enable

The University of British Columbia

Tel:  604 822-9225

 

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

May 9, 2013 | James Phelps
Next Conference Call
Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 2PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4)

Agenda for next call

  1. Roll Call
  2. Agenda Bash
  3. Current Activities Check-In - see below
  4. Capability Mapping - Jim
    1. The ITANA Capability Map http://itana.org/capability-map/
    2. Outcomes from the DEM Capability Map exercise
  5. Service Portfolio / Taxonomy Management - Paul Erickson
  6. Summer
Working Group / Activities Updates:
Learning Reference Architecture - Leo Fernig
  1. No update...? 
...
May 3, 2013 | Emily Eisbruch
Minutes: ITANA Call 23-April-2013

Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Brenda Reeb, University of Rochester
Eden Davis, Michigan State
Glenn Donaldson, Ohio State
Dan Brint, SUNY
Leo Furnig, UBC
Michael Janke, MnSCU
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

Action Items

[AI] (Dan and Michael) brainstorm how resources should be presented on the the ITANA wiki.
[AI] (Jim) will facilitate this

DISCUSSION

Updates from Working Groups and Activities

Learning Reference Architecture - Leo Fernig

April 11, 2013 | James Phelps
Next Conference Call
Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 2PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4)

Agenda for next call

  1. Roll Call
  2. Agenda Bash
  3. Current Activities Check-In - see below
  4. Case Studies:  EA Delivering Value via Business Effectiveness, Fiscal Efficiency and/or Enhanced Agility (Face2Face2013)
  5. Tools for managing EA Artifacts - Mojgan Amini
  6. Service Portfolio / Taxonomy Management - Paul Erickson
Working Group / Activities Updates:
Learning Reference Architecture - Leo Fernig

Starting EA...
March 27, 2013 | James Phelps
Next Conference Call
The next call will be Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 2PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4)

Agenda for next call

  1. Roll Call
  2. Agenda Bash
  3. Current Activities Check-In
    1. Learning Reference Architecture - Leo Fernig 
    2. Starting EA Solution Path / Maturity Model  - Colleen Nagy 
    3. Face2Face 2013 & (un)Conference 2013 - Jim Phelps
    4. Screen2Screen - EA Helps Shine a Light on IT Spend - Two Case Studies - Joint Screen2Screen with the CIO CG
    5. Still looking for help with content management
  4. Report out on the Troux Worldwide Conference (http://troux.com)
  5. The CIO CG List's 55 Questions re: MOOCs - organize them into a Solution Path Document?
    1. ...
March 26, 2013 | James Phelps
The recording and presentations from the joint EDUCAUSE CIO CG and ITANA Screen2Screen “EA – Shining a Light on IT Spend” have been posted to the ITANA Wiki Screen2Screen page. 


Thank you to all the participants and Theresa Rowe for making this a great event.

Jim
********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

February 13, 2014 | Richmond Stevenson
I apologize for the last minute notice but I will need to cancel today’s call.  It seems like the entire Webex account is unavailable right now for both computer and voice connections.



Thanks,
Rich

--
Richmond Stevenson
Associate Vice President, Enterprise Architecture and Strategy
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Blvd East
Administration Building Room 1146
Adelphi, MD 20783
(301) 985-7045
rich.stevenson@umuc.edu




********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at...
January 30, 2014 | Richmond Stevenson
Jim,

Thanks for teeing off the discussion on the need for some modifications to the ITANA charter.  We used the body of today’s call to discuss the proposed changes to the ITANA charter, operating procedures, the concept and structure of a steering committee, and the need for two additional ITANA officers: a Vice-Chair and a Secretary.

The changes to the charter were ratified by the participants on the call, and there was an agreement that the ‘bootstrapping’ procedures we’ve outlined are sufficient and appropriate for you to name the initial Steering Committee members and nominate the first set of additional officers.  There was also consensus that you would continue in the role of Chair of ITANA.

As such, you have the action items of naming members to the Steering Committee and nominating the officers by our next call, either on the list or on our next call.
...
January 17, 2014 | James Phelps
Since I switched institutions, I’ve been trying to sort out my ITANA list posting privileges. Just seeing if this is sorted out yet. Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
January 9, 2014 | Listserv Anonymous User
Message from fmiller.furman@gmail.com

Good afternoon. I'm not a regular contributor to this list, but. I appreciate reading the perspectives shared here. That said, I would like to remind you that Monday is the deadline for the call for proposals for EDUCAUSE 2014. http://www.educause.edu/annual-conference/2014 EDUCAUSE 2014 will be from September 29 - October 2. We tailored the Enterprise/Administrative IT track especially for ITANA: "A robust enterprise architecture determines an IT organization's ability to respond to strategic innovations with agility. Enterprise architecture is most relevant to those who are involved with designing, implementing, maintaining, integrating, and supporting enterprise solutions, which includes secure, scalable, physical and virtual infrastructure and enterprise systems." The EDUCAUSE annual...
January 9, 2014 | Richmond Stevenson
Any architects from ITANA playing a role in this?  I would love to contact off-list, and it could be an interesting topic for an ITANA call.



Thanks,
Rich

--
Richmond Stevenson
Associate Vice President, Enterprise Architecture and Strategy
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Blvd East
Administration Building Room 1146
Adelphi, MD 20783
(301) 985-7045
rich.stevenson@umuc.edu



...
December 19, 2013 | Listserv Anonymous User
Message from niederhp@gmail.com

Draft Mintues: ITANA call of 19-Dec-2013

Attending

Rich Stevenson, University of Maryland University College (host)
Mojgan Amini, UC San Diego
Marina Arsiniev, UC Irvine
Joel Banez, Westmont College
Dong Chen, Bowling Green State
Leo Fernig, University of British Columbia
Scott Fullerton, University of Wisconsin - Madison
Andrew Gianni, University at Buffalo
Piet Niederhausen
Ashish Pandit, UC San Diego
Brenda Reeb, University of Rochester
Brian Savage, Boston College

*********
Links:
ITANA Website: http://itana.org/
ITANA Wiki: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/Home
*********

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Mojgan announced a survey on IT architecture...

October 21, 2013 | James Phelps
We will have our regularly scheduled ITANA call this Thursday. Topic: Report out from ITANA F2F 2013 and (un)Conference 2013. Other agenda items you want to cover? Let me know. Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
October 7, 2013 | Emily Eisbruch
Draft Mintues: ITANA call 26-Sept-2013 

Attending

Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin - Madison (chair)
Glenn Donaldson, The Ohio State University  
Chris Eagle, U. Michigan  
Dave Perhne, U. Michigan  
Mike Fary, U. Chicago  
Michael Janke, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities  
Arin Komins, U. Chicago 
Bob Goldstein, Pitzer College
Brandon Rich, Notre Dame
Dan Brint, SUNY 
David Soleno, UC San Diego
Karen Hanson, University of Wisconsin - Madison 
Kasia Azzara, Columbia U.

*********
Links:
ITANA Website: http://itana.org/
...
June 5, 2013 | James Phelps
Under 3 - I want to discuss the Learning Architecture Face2Face and the work so far. 
Under 3 - Also - Registration is open for the Face2Face.  Working on a time for the (un)Conference.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Phelps <jamesphelps@WISC.EDU>
Subject: [ITANA] Next Call Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 2PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4)
Date: June 5, 2013 8:44:59 AM CDT
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE ITANA Constituent Group Listserv <ITANA@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

Next...
May 9, 2013 | Leo Richard Fernig

Hi All:

The Learning WG status has been added here: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/Conference+Calls

---

Leo Fernig

Enterprise Architect
Information Technology | Engage:Envision:Enable

The University of British Columbia

Tel:  604 822-9225

 

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

March 14, 2013 | James Phelps
Paul Erickson won't be able to join us today so we will hold off on the Service Portfolio / Taxonomy Management discussion.  If you have a topic you want to cover, let me know or bring it to the Agenda Bash portion.  Otherwise, we will do a "what's happening on your campus" check-in.  It has been a while since we did that.

Talk with you later on today.



Next Conference Call
The next call will be Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 2PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4)

Agenda for next call

  1. Roll Call
  2. Agenda Bash
  3. Current Activities Check-In
    1. Learning Reference Architecture - Leo Fernig 
    2. Starting EA Solution Path / Maturity Model  - Colleen Nagy 
    3. Face2Face 2013 & (un)Conference...
March 4, 2013 | James Phelps

ITANA and CIO CG Joint Screen2Screen:  EA - Shining a Light on IT Spend, March 15, 2013

Join us for a joint ITANA and CIO CG ScreenScreen:  Enterprise Architecture - Shining a Light on IT Spend, March 15, 2013 2:00PM to 3:00PM EST (GMT -5)

Three case studies and a panel discussion will highlight how Enterprise Architecture (EA) helps IT leadership shine a light on IT spend for their business partners on campus.   At UBC, EA blueprint activities help the business side of the enterprise recognize redundancies in the IT portfolio and help them link acquisitions to campus strategy. UMUC is using Capability Mapping to plan and manage expenditures and to help business partners to invest strategically.  UW-Madison has an Architecture Review Board that bring the business side into the discussion and educates them on the complexities of IT projects, IT landscape and IT strategic planning.  

Join us for three case studies and a panel...

January 15, 2013 | Listserv Anonymous User
Message from phelps@doit.wisc.edu

Next Conference Call
The next call will be Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 2PM Eastern STANDARD Time.

Agenda for next call

  1. Roll Call
  2. Agenda Bash
  3. Current Activities Check-In
    1. Box.net Hangout or Screen2Screen
    2. Learning Reference Architecture
    3. Starting EA Solution Path / Maturity Model
    4. Face2Face 2013 & (un)Conference 2013
    5. Joint Review of the Top 10 Issues with CIO CG
    6. Still looking for help with content management
  4. Other Collaboration Spaces, how to engage with ITANA discussion
    1. Google+ Community picking up steam.
    2. Google+ Page
    3. Facebook and LinkedIn
    4. Twitter

Topics of Interest:

These have been moved...

December 21, 2012 | Emily Eisbruch
Draft Minutes ITANA call of 20-Dec-2012

Attending:

James Phelps, U-W Madison (Chair)
Bob Winding, Notre Dame
Jim Leous, PSU
Paul Hobson, University of British Columbia
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

DISCUSSION

The call focused on recent developments on the various campuses.

Bob has been involved with obtaining connectivity for a building being renovated for the Notre Dame architecture program in Rome, Italy.  Much lead time is needed. Implementation is scheduled for July 2013.

Box.Net 

JimL has been looking into adoption of Internet2 Net+ Box.net. He is interested in the approaches being used for Shib integration.  Box.net is not an InCommon member at...
December 7, 2012 | James Phelps
Hi All, I have packaged up the "What the Heck Is EA?" game and posted it to the wiki. https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/What+the+Heck+is+EA+Game You can download a zip file of the PDFs so you can print and play on your campus. If you do play, please post your experience to this email list. Enjoy. Jim ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
November 14, 2012 | James Phelps
Below is a reminder of the EDUCAUSE guidelines for commercial participation.

Promotional Messages and Advertising
EDUCAUSE Constituent and Discussion Groups are educational in nature and not intended for promotional announcements, advertising, product-related press releases, or other commercial use. Please note that unsolicited commercial communications to constituent group participants as a result of postings to a Constituent or Discussion list violate the promotional messages and advertising provisions of these guidelines and may result in the loss of access to the listserv in question.
 
It's fine if a member of our community were to come forward and say they'd found a great document to assist in the discussion of an appropriate topic and it happened to be from a corp.   It's fine if a community member wants to discuss a specific vendor-related product/topic.  It's actually fine...
September 27, 2012 | Paul H. Erickson
Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with completely outsourcing printing in general purpose computer labs? I'd be especially interested in getting the best pricing for students – also in whether anyone provides a revenue-share back to the institution? SLA's or other agreements would be great to look at as well.
Thanks,
-p

-- 
Paul Erickson
Enterprise Architect
Information Services
University of Nebraska–Lincoln

tel:402 472 1657
http://is.unl.edu/        mailto:phe@unl.edu

Together, making the vision of UNL come alive through technology leadership
********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at...
September 26, 2012 | Listserv Anonymous User
Message from colleen.nagy@case.edu

Hello,

I am not sure where to ask this question and thought I would try this group first.  

We are looking for best practices in higher education for IT disaster/recovery.

I would like to know:

- What is your RTO and RPO for your ERP, in particular your financials systems?
- Do you have a secondary site in another region for disaster/recovery?
- How often do you do a table top exercise for your IT disaster/recovery?
- Do you do a cold start test with your financials at your location or at another location like SunGard?
- How is your financial system backed up?  mirrored in another data center, off-site tape?

Thanks for your help!

Colleen

--
Colleen Nagy
Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives,...
September 25, 2012 | Christopher Eagle
I've had a great response for today's hangout and I want to make sure everyone who wants to attend is on the invite list.  Here the list I have - if you're not on it and want to participate in the Hangout, please let me know.

Brenda Reeb
Russel Connacher
Mark Poepping
Caleb Racy
Kasia Azzara
Wayde Nie
Colleen Nagy
Bruce Alexander
Vinay Varughese

Chris
********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

September 20, 2012 | Emily Eisbruch
Draft Minutes: ITANA Call 13-Sept-2012

This call featured a Screen2Screen with Laura Patterson, CIO of U. Mich 
"Why EA is Important"

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Jim) will write up his thoughts on the Gartner EA Summit and post to the wiki.
[AI] (Jim) will send a link to the SOA survey to the list.
[AI] (Colleen) will send a link to the Case Western architecture diagram to the list.
[AI] (All interested) in the higher-ed peer group, contact Chris Eagle.
[AI] (All) Think about topics for potential Educause session(s).

Announcements


- Peer group Google hangouts, biweekly phone calls, and working group meetings will resume soon. 
- See ITANA Calendar of Events.   
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/ITANA+Calendar

- ITANA at EDUCAUSE 2012, Denver CO...

Group Leaders

University of Washington

Related to this Group...

Close
Close


EDUCAUSE Connect
View dates and locations

Events for all Levels and Interests

Whether you're looking for a conference to attend face-to-face to connect with peers, or for an online event for team professional development, see what's upcoming.

Close

EDUCAUSE Institute
Leadership/Management Programs
Explore More

Career Center


Leadership and Management Programs

EDUCAUSE Institute
Project Management

 

 

Jump Start Your Career Growth

Explore EDUCAUSE professional development opportunities that match your career aspirations and desired level of time investment through our interactive online guide.

 

Close
EDUCAUSE organizes its efforts around three IT Focus Areas

 

 

Join These Programs If Your Focus Is

Close

Get on the Higher Ed IT Map

Employees of EDUCAUSE member institutions and organizations are invited to create individual profiles.
 

 

Close

2014 Strategic Priorities

  • Building the Profession
  • IT as a Game Changer
  • Foundations


Learn More >

Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™

EDUCAUSE is the foremost community of higher education IT leaders and professionals.