Hi All, The deadline for EDUCAUSE 2012 conference proposals is rapidly approaching (Tuesday February 21). The past few years the IT Accessibility Constituent Group has served as a catalyst for organizing and promoting accessibility-related sessions. With this post I'm hoping to get that process started again this year. Here are a few questions to get the conversation started: 1. Who on this list is planning to attend EDUCAUSE 2012, and plans to submit a proposal on an accessibility-related topic? 2. If you don't have a specific plan yet, but would like to be part of a collaborative proposal, what sort of proposal would you be interested in, and on what topic? Here's the Call For Proposals: http://www.educause.edu/E2012/CFP Note that "Universal Design/Accessibility" is one of the conference themes, and that EDUCAUSE seems to be deliberately flexible regarding session format (choices include interactive presentations, panel discussions, point/counterpoint sessions, campus perspective showcases, and poster sessions). They also are promoting this new format: New for 2012! Compete for one of a dozen sessions that will be held in a professionally designed flexible learning space. Offering a rich alternative to the traditional “stand and deliver” conference presentation, this new space promotes small-group interaction for integration into large-group discussion and synthesis. To support team-based activities, the space utilizes tables and chairs to divide participants into groups, surfaces to support portable/mobile devices, and whiteboards to capture input. In the proposal form, you will be asked to check a box if you’re interested and justify your plan. Sessions selected for the flexible learning space will not be streamed for the online program. I'm personally interested in proposing one of these latter sessions, focusing on high-level administrative strategies for addressing IT accessibility on our campuses. Is anyone interested in collaborating with me on that? What other ideas do folks have? Thanks! Terrill -- Terrill Thompson Technology Accessibility Specialist DO-IT, Accessible Technology UW Information Technology University of Washington tft@uw.edu 206-221-4168 ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Comments

Hi I plan on attending and I think the idea of a high-level administrative strategies session for addressing IT accessibility on our campuses sounds good. Sue Sue Cullen Program Manager Universal Design Center California State University Northridge (CSUN) Campus Accessible Technology Initiative Coordinator Academic Affairs Part-Time Faculty Department of Special Education Oviatt 5 18111 Nordhoff Street Northridge California 91330-8201 Phone: (818) 677 - 2152 email: susan.cullen@csun.edu -----Original Message----- From: The EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:ITACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Christian Vinten-Johansen Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:38 AM To: ITACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU Subject: Re: [ITACCESS] Accessibility proposals for EDUCAUSE 2012 Terry, I'm planning to attend, and I am juggling ideas for a proposal. I'm also very open to join a panel. I'm neck deep in implementation of a university-wide audit and remediation initiative. Includes training, communication and consulting components. I'd be focusing on that in my proposal, should I follow through. I offer that as a panel idea, as well. Christian
Hello Terry,

Do we know whether or not the AHG conference is going to be keeping the same dates as the past?  It would be nice if the two conferences are going to be back to back to try and piggy back on one another.  That may help decide whether or not I'm attending and/or just putting in a proposal, etc.

I would be interested in putting something together with others in regard to policy/procedure or anything web accessibility related.  I think the Philadelphia event was a positive approach, even having a couple poster sessions was informative and nice.  It would be even better if we could get more presentations accepted to present during conference.  It would be great if accessibility related vendors would start considering this conference as well!

Kara Zirkle
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Assistive Technology Initiative
Aquia Building, RM 238
Mail Stop: 6A11
Fairfax Campus
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 703-993-9815
Main Office Phone: 703-993-4329
Fax: 703-993-4743

On 2/6/2012 12:27 PM, Terrill Thompson wrote:
Hi All, The deadline for EDUCAUSE 2012 conference proposals is rapidly approaching (Tuesday February 21). The past few years the IT Accessibility Constituent Group has served as a catalyst for organizing and promoting accessibility-related sessions. With this post I'm hoping to get that process started again this year. Here are a few questions to get the conversation started: 1. Who on this list is planning to attend EDUCAUSE 2012, and plans to submit a proposal on an accessibility-related topic? 2. If you don't have a specific plan yet, but would like to be part of a collaborative proposal, what sort of proposal would you be interested in, and on what topic? Here's the Call For Proposals: http://www.educause.edu/E2012/CFP Note that "Universal Design/Accessibility" is one of the conference themes, and that EDUCAUSE seems to be deliberately flexible regarding session format (choices include interactive presentations, panel discussions, point/counterpoint sessions, campus perspective showcases, and poster sessions). They also are promoting this new format: <quote> New for 2012! Compete for one of a dozen sessions that will be held in a professionally designed flexible learning space. Offering a rich alternative to the traditional “stand and deliver” conference presentation, this new space promotes small-group interaction for integration into large-group discussion and synthesis. To support team-based activities, the space utilizes tables and chairs to divide participants into groups, surfaces to support portable/mobile devices, and whiteboards to capture input. In the proposal form, you will be asked to check a box if you’re interested and justify your plan. Sessions selected for the flexible learning space will not be streamed for the online program. </quote> I'm personally interested in proposing one of these latter sessions, focusing on high-level administrative strategies for addressing IT accessibility on our campuses. Is anyone interested in collaborating with me on that? What other ideas do folks have? Thanks! Terrill

Many wishes for success and I will be in the wings to support, but for my part, having already played an advocate's role, I will not ask to be a part of any particular request in order to provide others with the opportunity.

I'm keeping the faith!

Tracy

Hi Kara, Accessing Higher Ground is indeed the week immediately following EDUCAUSE, and both conferences are in the Denver area. I have a question for the list about that, but I think I'll save it for another post. Terrill
Hi All,

Just thought I'd take a moment to summarize the responses to my query. If I've misinterpreted anyone's intentions here, please feel free to correct me. These are folks' intentions related to proposing accessibility-related sessions at EDUCAUSE 2012:

- Cyndi Rowland will be submitting a proposal or two related to her GOALS project.

- Christian Vinten-Johansen is considering a proposal focusing on Penn State's implementation of a university-wide audit and
remediation initiative that includes training, communication and consulting components.  He's interested in considering that as a panel idea if others are interested.

- I'm interested in proposing a session in the new "flexible learning space" format, focusing on high-level administrative strategies (e.g., policies, procedures) for addressing IT accessibility on our campuses. Sue Cullen, Kara Zirkle, and Sushil Oswal are also interested in this idea. I'll contact each of you off-list to see what we can pull them together.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Terrill

I will be submitting a proposal related to a survey of web accessibility in higher education.

I would be interested in a panel session with Christian.

Jon

From: The EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:ITACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Terrill Thompson
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:04 AM
To: ITACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [ITACCESS] Accessibility proposals for EDUCAUSE 2012

Hi All,

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Terrill

Hi,

Sorry to be late in responding. I would be interested in participating on the panel Christian is considering. I am also interested in participating in the panel on high level administrative policies.  I also am considering submitting a proposal to address the procurement processes for purchasing accessible EI&T products (this may also be a panel).

Sincerely,

To: ITACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [ITACCESS] Accessibility proposals for EDUCAUSE 2012

Hi All,

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Terrill

I am interested in having a group meeting/discussion/therapy session (or all three) at Educause 2012. Is anything planned? What can I do to help? I’d like to see Educause pay more attention to library issues.

Margaret (Meg) Brown-Sica

Auraria Library

Associate Director of Technology and Digital Initiatives

1100 Lawrence Street

Denver, Colorado 80204

Phone 303.556.6762|Fax 303.556.3528

Margaret.Brown-Sica@UCDenver.edu

Serving the University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan State College of Denver and the Community College of Denver

I’d be interested in helping (and participating) as well!

Jeff Bullington

Coordinator of College Liaisons

First Generation Faculty Member

Colorado State University

University Libraries

146 Morgan Library

Fort Collins, CO 80523-1019

p: 970-491-4107

e: jeff.bullington@colostate.edu

If participation via Skype is an option, I'm in. Thom W. Cox Manager of Library Information Technology Services Tisch Library Tufts University Medford, MA thomas.cox@tufts.edu "Every technology has a philosophy which is given expression in how the technology makes people use their minds, in how it codifies the world, and in which of our senses it amplifies…” - Neal Postman
Good morning. I am also interested.
Tyrone

Definitely interested in participating!

McFarlin Library:  TU’s Academic Town Square

**************************************************

Adrian W. Alexander

R. M. & Ida McFarlin Dean of the Library

University of Tulsa

800 South Tucker Drive

Tulsa, Oklahoma  74104

Phone:  918-631-2356

Fax:  918-631-2150

Cell:  918-231-9385

Email:  adrian-alexander@utulsa.edu

**************************************************

Last year Nikki Reynolds, Hamilton,  organized an informal gathering and discussion at Educause.  She may be able to provide information on how she secured a room and a time.

Terri Fishel
Macalester

The Library/IT constituency group has had a regular meeting at the EDUCAUSE annual conference for many years and I assume it will continue.
See you there!
Joan
----------
Joan K. Lippincott, Ph.D.
Associate Executive Director
Coalition for Networked Information
21 Dupont Circle, Suite 800
Washington, DC  20036
202-296-5098
202-872-0884 (Fax)

On Apr 24, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Terri Fishel wrote:

Terri Fishel
Macalester

I see several of us are interested in getting together at Educause 2012. I'm on the program committee for Educause 2013, so perhaps we can gather some ideas to influence the program in Anaheim? I would appreciate your input.

We could wait until Denver (with some virtual participation), or we could arrange a conference call in advance. Julie Little has kindly offered to help with the logistics.
Maureen

Maureen McCreadie, Ph.D.
Dean, Learning Resources
Administrator, Integration of Knowledge
Bucks County Community College
Newtown, PA 18940
work  215-968-8004

Dear Margaret, Jeff, Adrian, Joan, Maureen, and other LIBIT Colleagues:

No need to worry about getting a room scheduled -- all Constituent Groups hold discussion sessions at the EDUCAUSE annual conference, and Nikki and I will take care of it for the Library/IT group.  As I recall from last year, EDUCAUSE sends the scheduling info to CG leaders during the summer, and the times get confirmed in August or September.

In the meantime, let’s start collecting ideas and getting some discussion underway online. This will be a good way to identify hot topics and help create a richer experience in Denver (and beyond).

To kick things off, here are a few things close to the top of my current list:

1. Digital Scholarship Centers: We have a group working on an initiative called “Envisioning a Digital Scholarship Center.” In this phase, they are focused on requirements gathering (faculty/grad student interviews) and planning for a center (physical and/or virtual) that could build capacity and improve support for activities such as

• Creation and processing of digital scholarly research and instructional content

• Digitization and increased access to unique library collections

• Creation of a collaborative space for new media production and showcasing projects

•  Exploration of potential interdisciplinary curriculum in areas such as new media studies, information technology, and digital literacies

One of the outcomes for the planning phase is to “identify high-priority collaborations with campus partners,” a group likely to include central IT, school/college IT groups, research institutes, and various VPs and deans.

Our group is well-connected in the digital humanities/digital scholarship community and has surveyed some of the major centers, studied the new ARL SPEC Kit  http://www.arl.org/news/pr/spec326-6dec11.shtml, etc. There are many models for services of this type. Have you implemented something like this on your campus? If so, who are the key partners? What works well and what would you change?

2. Organizational Development and Succession Planning: as individuals retire or move on, to what extent are librarians and technologists working together to re-shape organization(s) and design successor positions? This might be easier for those of you in blended Lib+IT environments.

As always, many thanks for your interest and commitment to EDUCAUSE and the LIB-IT group. Best for now,

ARB

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Andrew Bonamici

Associate University Librarian, Media and Instructional Services

University of Oregon Libraries

bonamici@uoregon.edu

T   (541) 346-2682

M (541) 206-9840

From: The EDUCAUSE Library/IT Partnerships Constituent Group Listsev [mailto:LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Terri Fishel
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:40 AM
To: LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Terri Fishel

Macalester

I noticed this thread sort of died off after this posting. Now we know what has been on Andrew's mind, but not the most interesting topics to the people who indicated they were interested in a meeting/discussion/therapy session. It would be helpful to have a little more information. Was that proposal prompted by a frustration? Certainly one person indicated that EDUCAUSE is not paying enough attention to library issues. Perhaps the people willing to help organize would like to partner with Andrew and I to develop this year's LibIT meeting?

Nikki

M (541) 206-9840

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:40 AM

To: LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Terri Fishel

Macalester

We started a group to discuss digital project support on our campus composed of our IT AIAs (Academic Information Associates) and librarians, so this topic would be of interest to me.  I see this as a great growth area for collaboration for librarians and IT folks.  I realize that larger institutions may have different issues/concerns that smaller institutions, but a discussion of the challenges and opportunities would still be worthwile, at least to me.  Anyone else have other thoughts?

Terri Fishel

2. Organ

Nikki Reynolds, Ph.D.
Director, Instructional Technology Services
Information Technology Services
Hamilton College

_____________________________

ACRL Value of Academic Libraries - please join the conversation by sharing your comments!

Teresa A. Fishel

Dean, Learning Resources
Administrator, Integration of Knowledge
Bucks County Community College
Newtown, PA 18940
work  215-968-8004

From: Nikki Reynolds <nreynold@HAMILTON.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE Library/IT Partnerships Constituent Group Listserv <LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
To: "LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [LIBIT] Fwd: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Nikki

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Bonamici <bonamici@uoregon.edu>
Date: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Educause 2012
To: LIBIT@listserv.educause.edu

Dear Margaret, Jeff, Adrian, Joan, Maureen, and other LIBIT Colleagues:

To kick things off, here are a few things close to the top of my current list:

• Digitization and increased access to unique library collections

Our group is well-connected in the digital humanities/digital scholarship community and has surveyed some of the major centers, studied the new ARL SPEC Kit http://www.arl.org/news/pr/spec326-6dec11.shtml, etc. There are many models for services of this type. Have you implemented something like this on your campus? If so, who are the key partners? What works well and what would you change?

ARB

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Andrew Bonamici

Associate University Librarian, Media and Instructional Services

University of Oregon Libraries

bonamici@uoregon.edu

T   (541) 346-2682

M (541) 206-9840

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:40 AM

To: LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Terri Fishel

Macalester

I'm happy to help. While I am a little disappointed with the library sessions at Educause I'm not frustrated with this group. I just think it would be nice to have more of an opportunity  make connections and network. Sorry for the slow response. I was on vacation and at ALA.

Margaret (Meg) Brown-Sica

Associate Director of Technology and Digital Initiatives

Auraria Library

1100 Lawrence Street

Denver, CO. 80204

Phone:(303) 556-3525

Serving the University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan State University of Denver, and the Community College of Denver

From: Nikki Reynolds <nreynold@HAMILTON.EDU>

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:40 AM

To: LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Terri Fishel

Macalester

Hi Margaret,

Good to hear you aren't frustrated with this group right now. Technically, I'm not "Library", I'm "IT", but I can still see where the library sessions at EDUCAUSE are somewhat disappointing. I've had to opportunity to participate with colleagues in last year's national ACRL and a couple of regional meetings, and my sense was there is a real disconnect between the perceptions of Library & IT collaboration between these two organizations. (I can't count the number of times ACRL participants asked me "How do I get my IT department to talk to me? - a very sobering question.) I think it would be great if this group could come together to provide the EDUCAUSE staff and program committees with some concrete examples of what Librarians are looking for in these conferences. If the programming is disappointing now, let's work to get it improved.

Perhaps our EDUCAUSE 2012 Lib-IT meeting should include a discussion of what is missing in the program for Librarians and their collaborators, and begin a draft of suggestions for improving the offerings?

Regards,
Nikki

Sounds great!

From: Nikki Reynolds <nreynold@HAMILTON.EDU>
To: "LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Fwd: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Hi Margaret,

Regards,
Nikki

Ditto – I’m certainly interested in digging deeper into this question.

Jeff

From: The EDUCAUSE Library/IT Partnerships Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Brown-Sica, Margaret
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:51 AM
To: LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Fwd: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Sounds great!

From: Nikki Reynolds <nreynold@HAMILTON.EDU>
To: "LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Fwd: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Hi Margaret,

Regards,

Nikki

Regarding topics, one that I am interested in perpetually is organizational models that work.  An influence in this area seems to be the campus-wide, generally administratively focused, consulting contracts that institutions are letting and which generally favor centralization.  I've heard of some interesting hybrid models emerging for support that could certainly include areas like digital humanities, instructional delivery and so forth … but I don't have my finger on the pulse.

Food for thought as a possible topic.

Deborah Ludwig

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:40 AM

To: LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Terri Fishel

Macalester

Hi,

This is an interesting question – what makes (or would make) Educause more relevant to Librarians?  I come from an IT heritage and have been somewhat involved in Educause for years, but am now working with the Library (different university) to try to support research data preservation.  It’s been an interesting experience finding myself in the library world (long story) – there’s so much connection between the two orgs, in that there is a high need/utilization of technology, and they both are essentially in service organizations.

At the same time, at least in my observations, despite the parallels, there’s more of a sense of competition than cooperation – and they have distinctly different mindsets (this was something brought up in a session I attended in Philly.)

I know I’m just throwing out questions, and not sure I have answers.  But it was interesting last year when I proposed going to Educause.  Fortunately, it was just 80 miles down the road in Philly, but the reaction was something like “why would you want to go there?”

At the same time, I believe that the opportunity exists to showcase case studies of cooperation between IT / Library orgs – in many cases there’s a lot of duplication of effort & budget without that cooperation.  But are library IT folks limiting their sights to ARL/Library-specific meetings & organizations?

Just thinking, trying to figure how I could manage to get all the way to Denver….

Cheers,

Aletia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aletia Morgan
Research Data Management Specialist
Rutgers University
408 Alexander Library - 169 College Avenue
New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901

aletia.morgan@rutgers.edu
848-932-6099

From: The EDUCAUSE Library/IT Partnerships Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Nikki Reynolds
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:45 AM
To: LIBIT@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LIBIT] Fwd: [LIBIT] Educause 2012

Hi Margaret,

Regards,

Nikki

I like this suggestion from Nikki.

Adrian