Colleagues:  I've asked my Customer and Training Services Manager to develop an ongoing list of the best Mobile Apps that our faculty, staff and students might use here at the University.   We're gathering information from within, but I was hoping that collectively we could all share (or point toward resources, articles that already have this information).   Obviously we're looking for Mobile Apps that improve productivity or add value to academics (classroom), administrative functions, student success, etc.    We're asking them to provide the NAME, COST (if any), DEVICE THEY USE (iOS, Android), and a BRIEF DESCRIPTION.   When the list is compiled, I will definitely share with everyone via this ListServ.   Any input that each of you can provide is appreciated!

Carmen A. Rahm
Asst. VP for Info. Technology
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926
Direct Phone:          (509) 963-2925
Mobile Phone:         (360) 271-2992
ITS Office Phone:   (509) 963-2333
ITS Homepage:       www.cwu.edu/~its
GO GREEN! This email uses 100% recycled electrons.
No electrons were harmed while composing this message.

Comments

Can you share what you’ve come up with internally?

Dr. Robert Paterson

Vice President, Information Technology, Planning & Research

Molloy College

Rockville Centre, NY 11571

516-678-5000 ex 6443

I will when we have something.  We just started this "task" this week.  I'm happy to share our completed list which will include everything we get from this Listserv, everything we learn about internally, etc.

Carmen

>>> Robert Paterson <rpaterson@MOLLOY.EDU> 1/6/2012 11:53 AM >>>

Can you share what you've come up with internally?

Dr. Robert Paterson

Vice President, Information Technology, Planning & Research

Molloy College

Rockville Centre, NY 11571

516-678-5000 ex 6443

Hi Carmen,

This EDUCAUSE Quarterly article might be of help to you, Creating a Mobile Community of App Developers, 2011. There are some links to the University of Michigan’s Mobile resources, including their apps catalog. http://mobileapps.its.umich.edu/mobile-apps and their Mobile Apps Center http://mobileapps.its.umich.edu/.

Please let me know if you have any questions, thank you.

Colleen Keller
Electronic Resources Librarian
EDUCAUSE - Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good

4772 Walnut Street, Suite 206
Boulder, CO 80301-2538
Phone (303) 939-0309

We have Bb Mobile and are looking at Grey Sparling. My inquiry was more regarding just "off the App Store" apps that might be used in an Anatomy class, Math class, improve office productivity, etc. An app an instructor or a one that a Financial Aid worker might find useful for free, or for $9.99, or for$29.99. The enterprise type apps are quite well known. I hope that clarifies our interest. Thanks >>> "Czarapata, Paul (KCTCS)" 01/06/12 21:14 PM >>> We're a PeopleSoft/Blackboard shop and looking around for similar things. To date, these are the four apps that keep coming up in conversations I have with other higher ed institutions (as of yet, I don't know costs): DubLabs - AT&T Campus Guide http://www.dublabs.com/campusguide/ Has hooks into ERP, LMS, maps, etc. Kurogo (from an MIT open source app) - http://kurogo.org/home/ Blackboard Mobile Central http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Mobile/Products/Mobile-Central/Featu... Grey Sparling (pretty much PeopleSoft specific) - http://www.greysparling.com/Blog/tcu-discusses-grey-sparling-mobile-solu... ________________________________ From: Carmen Rahm [RahmC@CWU.EDU] Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 1:54 PM Subject: Best Mobile Apps for Higher Education Colleagues: I've asked my Customer and Training Services Manager to develop an ongoing list of the best Mobile Apps that our faculty, staff and students might use here at the University. We're gathering information from within, but I was hoping that collectively we could all share (or point toward resources, articles that already have this information). Obviously we're looking for Mobile Apps that improve productivity or add value to academics (classroom), administrative functions, student success, etc. We're asking them to provide the NAME, COST (if any), DEVICE THEY USE (iOS, Android), and a BRIEF DESCRIPTION. When the list is compiled, I will definitely share with everyone via this ListServ. Any input that each of you can provide is appreciated! Thanks, Carmen A. Rahm Asst. VP for Info. Technology Central Washington University 400 East University Way Ellensburg, WA 98926 Direct Phone: (509) 963-2925[X] Mobile Phone: (360) 271-2992[X] ITS Office Phone: (509) 963-2333[X] ITS Homepage: www.cwu.edu/~its GO GREEN! This email uses 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were harmed while composing this message. ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/. ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/. ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
I frequently hear the question about what are the "must have apps" (especially after the Christmas holiday).  The trouble with this question is that it is a very broad question which needs to be highly specific based on the user role and their interests.  Thus I would love to see 1) a list of apps developed by use case for higher ed and/or 2) a model for quick video tutorials on "how I use my fill in the blank (iPad, iPhone, Android, etc.) to fill in the bland (study, learn anatomy, organize my mobile files, get caught up on my reading, etc.).  If anyone has come across either of these types of tools, then please share.

In the meantime, we put together some notes from an iPad Lunch and Learn session that we held last week.  For what it is worth,  the iPad Apps notes are found here and they are publicly available via a google doc for anyone to add to and improve.

- Bryan

Bryan Krusniak
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences

Message from shelf@westernu.edu

Bryan,

Bingo! Your points are very well taken!

An interesting question is what is the role of the CIO and or CTO in providing the leadership for  whole department, college, or university initiatives?

What is the feedback cycle for continuous improvement re. the above? Who derives and drives it? Or, do we just roll out what’s “cool” and, in the end, don’t look so cool (like a potato chip company saying, “Find us on Facebook!” Really?!)

Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause.

Scott Helf, DO, MSIT

CTO-COMP

WesternU

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:32 AM

- Bryan

Bryan Krusniak

A.T. Still University of Health Sciences

I agree this is a particularly good question with respect to mobile applications.  It may be that we as CITOs frame the issue of mobile apps for our institutions within the context of online convenience and pedagogical experimentation, illuminate the primary considerations for adoption by asking the "right" questions, and then provide guidance to fulfill what I'm referring to as our (de facto) "mobile obligation".  See http://laughran.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/mobile-obligation/ for what I mean...

-P

Patrick Laughran

Associate Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer

508/626-4048 w 508/626-4947 (fax)

plaughran@framingham.edu

Framingham State University

100 State Street w PO Box 9101 w Framingham, MA  01701-9101

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Bryan,

Bingo! Your points are very well taken!

Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause.

Scott Helf, DO, MSIT

CTO-COMP

WesternU

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:32 AM

- Bryan

Bryan Krusniak

A.T. Still University of Health Sciences

Are we confusing "enterprise level mobile apps" with "individual" apps.   We have a strategic plan for our deployment of enterprise level mobile applications ... supported by the ITS Department.  As per a previous post on this thread, I mentioned that we're a customer of Bb Mobile Central and are evaluating Enterprise Apps (such as Grey Sparling) that would interface with our PeopleSoft.  All of this is managed and overseen by ITS (as it should be).  ITS can't control what "unique apps" they download from the App Store and pay $10.99 for!

My original post was just to provide a "service" to our customers who often ask us what mobile apps we've heard of that might be of interest to them.   Most likely for their individual usage, or use in a class, for taking notes, or for them to recommend to students to help with learning in a particular class.   If we try to CONTROL every app they want to use ... that's a battle I'll never even attempt to fight, let alone win.   I'm just hoping to have recommendations, things I've learned about from peers or reading, etc.   We want to compile a "living list" that we can share.   The sharing isn't going horizontal, so if my office can foster this communication/sharing at CWU ... I'll fill that void.

Carmen Rahm

>>> Patrick Laughran <plaughran@FRAMINGHAM.EDU> 1/9/2012 12:51 PM >>>

-P

Patrick Laughran

Associate Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer

508/626-4048 w 508/626-4947 (fax)

plaughran@framingham.edu

Framingham State University

100 State Street w PO Box 9101 w Framingham, MA  01701-9101

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Bryan,

Bingo! Your points are very well taken!

Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause.

Scott Helf, DO, MSIT

CTO-COMP

WesternU

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:32 AM

- Bryan

Bryan Krusniak

A.T. Still University of Health Sciences

When I was at the Campus Technology conference in Boston this past July, many of the sessions had lists of resources, including interesting sites and low cost or free 'apps' they used effectively in their teaching practice. This is what Carmen is talking about, I think. We are currently trying to encourage this type of discussion and sharing amongst our faculty, and it would be awesome to have a group as big as ours contribute to some kind of resource list. Maybe similar to the 'good books to read' list.. 'good apps to check out'? You often see the 'Top 10 apps you have to have' lists around this time of year, as mentioned earlier. Ian McLeod Camosun College Victoria, BC Canada ________________________________ From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Carmen Rahm Sent: Mon 1/9/2012 1:01 PM To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU Subject: Re: [CIO] Best Mobile Apps for Higher Education Are we confusing "enterprise level mobile apps" with "individual" apps. We have a strategic plan for our deployment of enterprise level mobile applications ... supported by the ITS Department. As per a previous post on this thread, I mentioned that we're a customer of Bb Mobile Central and are evaluating Enterprise Apps (such as Grey Sparling) that would interface with our PeopleSoft. All of this is managed and overseen by ITS (as it should be). ITS can't control what "unique apps" they download from the App Store and pay $10.99 for! My original post was just to provide a "service" to our customers who often ask us what mobile apps we've heard of that might be of interest to them. Most likely for their individual usage, or use in a class, for taking notes, or for them to recommend to students to help with learning in a particular class. If we try to CONTROL every app they want to use ... that's a battle I'll never even attempt to fight, let alone win. I'm just hoping to have recommendations, things I've learned about from peers or reading, etc. We want to compile a "living list" that we can share. The sharing isn't going horizontal, so if my office can foster this communication/sharing at CWU ... I'll fill that void. Carmen Rahm >>> Patrick Laughran 1/9/2012 12:51 PM >>> I agree this is a particularly good question with respect to mobile applications. It may be that we as CITOs frame the issue of mobile apps for our institutions within the context of online convenience and pedagogical experimentation, illuminate the primary considerations for adoption by asking the "right" questions, and then provide guidance to fulfill what I'm referring to as our (de facto) "mobile obligation". See http://laughran.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/mobile-obligation/ for what I mean... -P Patrick Laughran Associate Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer 508/626-4048 w 508/626-4947 (fax) plaughran@framingham.edu Framingham State University 100 State Street w PO Box 9101 w Framingham, MA 01701-9101 ________________________________ From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Scott Helf [shelf@WESTERNU.EDU] Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU Subject: Re: [CIO] Best Mobile Apps for Higher Education Bryan, Bingo! Your points are very well taken! An interesting question is what is the role of the CIO and or CTO in providing the leadership for whole department, college, or university initiatives? Do we take orders, and from whom, or, are we strategic, and true leaders, in our own right? I.e., what is the value proposition, ROI, etc., of said technologies? Lest the vendors push us, and / or we go off half-cocked. What is the feedback cycle for continuous improvement re. the above? Who derives and drives it? Or, do we just roll out what's "cool" and, in the end, don't look so cool (like a potato chip company saying, "Find us on Facebook!" Really?!) Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause. Enough musings here: Does anyone with a process for this sort of strategic viewpoint and thinking? THAT is what I, and I imagine many in my position, really need, and would sincerely, deeply, appreciate. Scott Helf, DO, MSIT CTO-COMP WesternU From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Bryan Krusniak Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:32 AM To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU Subject: Re: [CIO] Best Mobile Apps for Higher Education I frequently hear the question about what are the "must have apps" (especially after the Christmas holiday). The trouble with this question is that it is a very broad question which needs to be highly specific based on the user role and their interests. Thus I would love to see 1) a list of apps developed by use case for higher ed and/or 2) a model for quick video tutorials on "how I use my fill in the blank (iPad, iPhone, Android, etc.) to fill in the bland (study, learn anatomy, organize my mobile files, get caught up on my reading, etc.). If anyone has come across either of these types of tools, then please share. In the meantime, we put together some notes from an iPad Lunch and Learn session that we held last week. For what it is worth, the iPad Apps notes are found here and they are publicly available via a google doc for anyone to add to and improve. - Bryan Bryan Krusniak A.T. Still University of Health Sciences
Bullseye!   Perhaps Educause could take this on!  We'll share whatever we find ... but so far the recommendations for "good apps to check out" are few and far between! :-)

Carmen

>>> Ian McLeod <McLeodI@CAMOSUN.BC.CA> 1/9/2012 2:07 PM >>>
We are currently trying to encourage this type of discussion and sharing amongst our faculty, and it would be awesome to have a group as big as ours contribute to some kind of resource list.  Maybe similar to the 'good books to read' list.. 'good apps to check out'?  You often see the 'Top 10 apps you have to have' lists around this time of year, as mentioned earlier.

Ian McLeod
Camosun College
Victoria, BC Canada

________________________________

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Carmen Rahm
Sent: Mon 1/9/2012 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [CIO] Best Mobile Apps for Higher Education

My original post was just to provide a "service" to our customers who often ask us what mobile apps we've heard of that might be of interest to them.   Most likely for their individual usage, or use in a class, for taking notes, or for them to recommend to students to help with learning in a particular class.   If we try to CONTROL every app they want to use ... that's a battle I'll never even attempt to fight, let alone win.   I'm just hoping to have recommendations, things I've learned about from peers or reading, etc.   We want to compile a "living list" that we can share.   The sharing isn't going horizontal, so if my office can foster this communication/sharing at CWU ... I'll fill that void.

Carmen Rahm

>>> Patrick Laughran <plaughran@FRAMINGHAM.EDU> 1/9/2012 12:51 PM >>>

I agree this is a particularly good question with respect to mobile applications.  It may be that we as CITOs frame the issue of mobile apps for our institutions within the context of online convenience and pedagogical experimentation, illuminate the primary considerations for adoption by asking the "right" questions, and then provide guidance to fulfill what I'm referring to as our (de facto) "mobile obligation".  See http://laughran.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/mobile-obligation/ for what I mean...

-P

Patrick Laughran

Associate Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer

508/626-4048 w 508/626-4947 (fax)

plaughran@framingham.edu

Framingham State University

100 State Street w PO Box 9101 w Framingham, MA  01701-9101

________________________________

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Bryan,

Bingo! Your points are very well taken!

An interesting question is what is the role of the CIO and or CTO in providing the leadership for  whole department, college, or university initiatives?

Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause.

Scott Helf, DO, MSIT

CTO-COMP

WesternU

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [CIO] Best Mobile Apps for Higher Education

I frequently hear the question about what are the "must have apps" (especially after the Christmas holiday).  The trouble with this question is that it is a very broad question which needs to be highly specific based on the user role and their interests.  Thus I would love to see 1) a list of apps developed by use case for higher ed and/or 2) a model for quick video tutorials on "how I use my fill in the blank (iPad, iPhone, Android, etc.) to fill in the bland (study, learn anatomy, organize my mobile files, get caught up on my reading, etc.).  If anyone has come across either of these types of tools, then please share.

In the meantime, we put together some notes from an iPad Lunch and Learn session that we held last week.  For what it is worth,  the iPad Apps notes are found here <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pjkq-lAcnAKDfR7FU1kh1w3NxszkMaV-AIZC4Ulqdtc/edit>  and they are publicly available via a google doc for anyone to add to and improve.

- Bryan

Bryan Krusniak

A.T. Still University of Health Sciences

Message from shelf@westernu.edu

Ah, got it.

And, like Yelp!, or Amazon, (or dare I say “like” in FB), some sort of weight to the people’s choice, w/ number of votes, and a scale, say 1-5 “stars”, etc.?

Does Educause have such an engine for us to use?

-Scott

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Carmen Rahm
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Carmen

>>> Ian McLeod <McLeodI@CAMOSUN.BC.CA> 1/9/2012 2:07 PM >>>

Ian McLeod
Camosun College
Victoria, BC Canada

________________________________

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Carmen Rahm
Sent: Mon 1/9/2012 1:01 PM

Carmen Rahm

>>> Patrick Laughran <plaughran@FRAMINGHAM.EDU> 1/9/2012 12:51 PM >>>

-P

Patrick Laughran

Associate Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer

508/626-4048 w 508/626-4947 (fax)

plaughran@framingham.edu

Framingham State University

100 State Street w PO Box 9101 w Framingham, MA  01701-9101

________________________________

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Bryan,

Bingo! Your points are very well taken!

Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause.

Scott Helf, DO, MSIT

CTO-COMP

WesternU

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:32 AM

- Bryan

Bryan Krusniak

A.T. Still University of Health Sciences

Several of us within EDUCAUSE have been following the conversation on mobile apps and the desire to aggregate “good apps to check out” for the community. Colleen Keller, EDUCAUSE Electronic Resources Librarian, has created a very basic wiki so those of you interested in and knowledgeable on the topic can at least begin to create a repository of information (the top 10 apps idea, articles, and other resources). Colleen will be adding more resources to the wiki this week, as well.

Looking ahead, there’s an ACTI group where issues like this might be productively engaged, the Mobile Web Frameworks (MWF) Working Group. This week is the joint ACTI/CSG meeting in Palo Alto, which may provide an opportunity for the question to be posed to the group.

For now, please do visit the wiki to add relevant information and resources so the community can begin to see what’s needed, or, as Carmen has noted, what gaps exist that we might collaboratively fill going forward.

Thanks, everyone,

Lisa

Lisa Gesner

Market Manager

303-544-5661

EDUCAUSE

Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good

www.educause.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Ian McLeod
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Ian McLeod

Camosun College

Victoria, BC Canada

________________________________

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Carmen Rahm

Sent: Mon 1/9/2012 1:01 PM

Carmen Rahm

>>> Patrick Laughran <plaughran@FRAMINGHAM.EDU> 1/9/2012 12:51 PM >>>

-P

Patrick Laughran

Associate Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer

508/626-4048 w 508/626-4947 (fax)

plaughran@framingham.edu

Framingham State University

100 State Street w PO Box 9101 w Framingham, MA  01701-9101

________________________________

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Bryan,

Bingo! Your points are very well taken!

Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause.

Scott Helf, DO, MSIT

CTO-COMP

WesternU

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:32 AM

- Bryan

Bryan Krusniak

A.T. Still University of Health Sciences

There is indeed an EDUCAUSE effort going on within the ACTI Mobile Web Framework (ACTI-MWF) working group relevant to reviewing and cataloging existing mobile frameworks and tools to meet the overall campus mobile strategy. Although the focus is not an all-encompassing cataloging and rating of higher-ed mobile apps (as the original posting asked), it will be a valuable resource for getting an overview of mobile frameworks and recommended strategies. The mission of the ACTI-MWF is as follows

The mission of the ACTI Mobile Web Frameworks (ACTI-MWF) Working Group is to promote strategic mobile cooperation across higher education institutions by:

• Developing a methodology for evaluating mobile frameworks.
  • Identifying commonalities in mobile-consumable web services (e.g., SIS, LMS, collaboration tools, etc.) to meet the device-agnostic requirements of higher education.
  • Sharing strategies on how to mobile-enable a campus environment.
  • Finding ways to leverage mobile environments to support faculty, students, and researchers.
  • Exploring ways to effectively share community-developed mobile tools for learning, research, and productivity.
In addition, the working group intends to collaboratively monitor the fast-paced evolution of mobile technologies as part of its efforts.

Here is a link to a recent presentation delivered at the ACTI/CSG joint meeting highlighting current ACTI-MWF activities the goals for 2012:

As Lisa pointed out, here is the link to the ACTI-Mobile Web Frameworks (MWF) Working Group

The ACTI-MWF welcomes both new ACTI participants along with general feedback from the EDUCAUSE community.

Best Regards,

ACTI-MWF Co-Chairs:

Mojgan Amini, UC San Diego, mojgan@ucsd.edu

Rose Rocchio, UCLA, rrocchio@oit.ucla.edu

From: Lisa Gesner <lgesner@EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv <CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:36:41 +0000

Sent: Mon 1/9/2012 1:01 PM

Carmen Rahm

>>> Patrick Laughran <plaughran@FRAMINGHAM.EDU> 1/9/2012 12:51 PM >>>

-P

Patrick Laughran

Associate Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer

508/626-4048 w 508/626-4947 (fax)

plaughran@framingham.edu

Framingham State University

100 State Street w PO Box 9101 w Framingham, MA  01701-9101

________________________________

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 3:07 PM

Bryan,

Bingo! Your points are very well taken!

Reminds me of the plumber vs. strategist banter a few years back at Educause.

Scott Helf, DO, MSIT