I'd like to follow-up on that book club idea.  There's a lot of reading on our reading list from Lisa's post:   link to The CIO Bookshelf wiki

Perhaps there's a book you really want to read and would benefit from the motivation and discussion of a group.

Maybe you've already read a book and would like to lead a discussion.

Could we try to create a book club?
For starters, maybe we get one volunteer from the list to pick a book and offer a discussion.  The volunteer leader could post:
"Starting Dec. 1 and for the month of December, I'll lead the E-CIO book club in the reading of "Book Title."  Those interested should contact me.  The group will be limited to the first xx number of responses."

The leader could also pick the tool of choice for their discussion, including conference call, Google +, whatever.

What do you think?
Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer
Oakland University

Comments

I would be glad to participate.  Nice idea. Kim

It's definitely worth trying. It might help for discussion leaders to also indicate when when and how discussion(s) would happen when starting a group. For example, if they are synchronous people signing up would know they are committing to use a particular technology at a particular time(s) (e.g., conference calls on January 6 and 13 at 2:30 p.m. EST). If they are asynchronous, they will know how discussions will be managed (e.g., Google Group discussions around four questions, with one question being introduced each Monday beginning January 2. All participants are expected to engage with each question. First question, will be...)  That way people signing up would also be committing to participate in the discussion in a particular fashion.

Any volunteer leaders out there?

Rick

Every year I ask my management staff to read a book and we work on the items in that book. They books are generally small but packed with information. The last three books I've ask them to read are: 1. Five Dysfunction of a Team -- this is a must read for any one in management. 2. Cirque du Soleil: The Spark - Igniting the Creative Fire that Lives within Us All -- this is a very fun read that identified critical elements of creating a innovative environment. 3. The Seven Arts of Change -- for people that are looking change management, this book gives you a simple read map. God Bless, Sam Young CIO Point Loma Nazarene University Sent from my iPhone
I'm obviously in. :) Sent from my iPhone
Oops. Sorry about all the grammatical errors. Fat fingers on iPhone... Sent from my iPhone
I'm in too, but why limit to 12?  If we're having online discussions, the more CIO readers providing thoughts and input, the better!

~Mike

Michael Dieckmann * Chief Information Officer * University of West Florida * 11000 University Parkway, Pensacola, FL  32514 *   Office 850.474.2558 * FAX 850.474.2634 * MichaelDieckmann@uwf.edu * uwf.edu

I will volunteer to lead the first time and pick a book. Would someone suggest a platform for discussion?

On Nov 17, 2011, at 10:28 AM, "Michael Dieckmann" <MichaelDieckmann@UWF.EDU> wrote:

~Mike

This is a great idea – I’m in too!

Rae

***********

Raechelle Clemmons

CIO, Menlo College

Direct: 650-543-3889

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael Dieckmann
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:29 AM

Charlestown Navy Yard

36 1st Avenue

Boston, MA 02129

Office: (617) 724-6340

Fax: (617) 643-0890

www.mghihp.edu

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Kim M Bethea
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:07 AM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea

I would be glad to participate.  Nice idea. Kim

This sounds interesting.  I'm in.

Pat

P.O. Box 2800

Annapolis, MD 21404-2800

410-626-2508

Anita.Brown@sjca.edu

Annapolis Help Desk email:      helpdesk@sjca.edu

Annapolis Help Desk phone:   410-626-2892

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Pat Sine
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:41 AM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea

This sounds interesting.  I'm in.

Pat

-----------
Pat Sine
IT – Client Support & Services
029 Smith Hall, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
www.udel.edu/sine

I am interested too -

I have two suggestions on platforms – if synchronous I could host on WebEx (nice because you can join on iphone, ipod, or android app even if not near an office) if asynchronous we could do on tumblr – I could set this up (nice part of tumblr you can post from email or web or text message and can easily add disqus for discussion list) - could also use an educause wiki as was done for the booklist or can do both (synchronous and asynchronous) – have a discussion online for those who can't make it and a synchronous one for those who can.

Best

Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812-856-4834
Email: robert@indiana.edu
Skype/GTalk: rhmcdonald
AIM/MSN: rhmcdonald1

From: Kim M Bethea <KBethea@MATCMADISON.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv <CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:32:35 -0600
To: <CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea

~Mike

Great idea.  I’d be interested.

Anne

I would be interested in participating as well.

Cathy

Cathy Bates

University Information Security Officer

Information Security Office | CC207

University of Arizona

(520) 626-2399

cbates@email.arizona.edu

Pls sign me up.

Best regards,

Patricia Ainsworth, CISSP
CIO/CISO
Salem State University

978-542-6446

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:55 AM, "McDonald, Robert H." <rhmcdona@INDIANA.EDU> wrote:

I am interested too -

AIM/MSN: rhmcdonald1

From: Kim M Bethea <KBethea@MATCMADISON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:32:35 -0600
To: <CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea

~Mike

I’m also interested in participating.

Dana

Dana German

Chief Technology Officer

Information Technology Services

Albright College

610.921.7225

I’m in

Mohamed A. Elhindi, PhD

Assistant Vice Chancellor- Chief Information Officer

University of  Wisconsin-La Crosse

1725 State street

La Crosse, WI 54601, USA

Phone:  608-785-8662|  Fax: 608-785-8306

Please note the University will NEVER ask you to send your password via an email message. If you received these kind of messages please delete it immediately without any reply.

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Stratford, Denis G.
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:37 AM

Betsy Tippens

Assistant Vice Chancellor for

Information Technologies

University of Washington Bothell

Bothell, WA  98011

Phone: 425-352-5239

If this is still open for more participants - I'm in too.

John McCarragher
Interim Chief Information Officer
University Information Technology Services
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Office: 414-229-3713
Cell:   414-750-4784
Email:  johnm@uwm.edu

From: "Theresa Rowe" <rowe@OAKLAND.EDU>
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:04:53 AM
Subject: [CIO] Book Club idea

Maybe you've already read a book and would like to lead a discussion.

Could we try to create a book club?

What do you think?
Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer
Oakland University

Sign me up as well...Nick : ) Dr. Nicholas Konrad Langlie Director of Planning & Policy Longwood University 201 High Street Farmville, VA 23909 [voice] 434.395.2034 [fax] 434.395.2035 langlienk@longwood.edu http://mynerdalert.blogspot.com/ ________________________________________
If you have room let me know ___________________________________ Charles Keeler Mitchell College Office of Information Technology Chief Technology Officer (860) 701-5254 On 11/17/11 2:44 PM, "Langlie, Nicholas" wrote: >Sign me up as well...Nick : ) > >Dr. Nicholas Konrad Langlie >Director of Planning & Policy >Longwood University >201 High Street >Farmville, VA 23909 > >[voice] 434.395.2034 >[fax] 434.395.2035 > >langlienk@longwood.edu >http://mynerdalert.blogspot.com/ >________________________________________ >

And same here, if still open (looks like this is getting very popular).

-e

Emory M. Craig

Director of eLearning and Instructional Technologies

The College of New Rochelle

New Rochelle, NY   10805

Hi, everyone,
We certainly appreciate everyone's interest.  Please avoid sending any more "me too" responses to the full list while we assess how we might proceed.
Thanks so much for jumping on a good idea!

Theresa Rowe

Librarian
Central Library
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Chennai-600 036, India
Personal URL :www.harishchandra.com
Institute URL: www.iitm.ac.in
Phone +01 044 22574951 (Work) +01 044 22576951(Home)
Fax: +91 044 22570509

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mohamed Elhindi [melhindi@UWLAX.EDU]
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 12:19 AM

Fax: (617) 643-0890

www.mghihp.edu

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:07 AM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea

I would be glad to participate.  Nice idea. Kim

I would be interested as well.

Regards,

Tim Carroll

Timothy D. Carroll

Message from bauer.rick@gmail.com

count me in.....great idea......

Rick Bauer

Director of Research & Development
Skills Certification Division, CompTIA

e-mail: rbauer@comptia.org
telephone: (719) 302-2273

mobile: (719) 359-2901

Skype ID:  rick.bauerco

Was that webinar captured and available somewhere? Andrew C. Lawlor, Ph.D. Associate Vice President Technology and Communications Edinboro University lawlor@edinboro.edu Submit a Tech Help Ticket Have you had your My.Edinboro.edu today? ________________________________________ From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] on behalf of Randy Stiles [rstiles@COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU] Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 8:52 AM To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea Theresa, FYI, during the recent EDU Live webinar on analytics, there was a lot of interest in books or other background reading on this topic. So, analytics (or data science) may be one worthy book club theme. Thanks for the stimulating idea! Randy Randall J. Stiles, Ph.D. Special Advisor for the President - Business Analytics Colorado College 719-489-6347 rstiled@coloradocollege.rdu Sent from my iPhone
I am interested, too.

Ted Wilder
Senior Director of Technology
Luther Seminary

Going off of Teds previous email on organizing the books, maybe groups can be divided by area of specialization, industry and/or interest.  Something to consider.

Bill Liddick
Associate Director, Enterprise Application Development
Ithaca College

On 11/18/2011 9:53 AM, Ted Wilder wrote:
I am interested, too.

Ted Wilder
Senior Director of Technology
Luther Seminary

Hi all, just a thought, but perhaps we can do the first round with the whole group with one of the CIO books first mentioned? I fear that all of this interest to break the groups into distinct categories is a bit much. I would hate to see the interest, particularly in the titles first mentioned get lost in over attention to compartmentalization before we have begun. Someone pick a first leader to start us off (maybe one of our EDUCAUSE friends can pick) and let him or her pick a book and lets just roll with it . . . Nick : ) Dr. Nicholas Konrad Langlie Director of Planning & Policy Longwood University 201 High Street Farmville, VA 23909 [voice] 434.395.2034 [fax] 434.395.2035 langlienk@longwood.edu http://mynerdalert.blogspot.com/ ________________________________________ From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Bill Liddick [wliddick@ITHACA.EDU] Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 10:07 AM To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea Going off of Teds previous email on organizing the books, maybe groups can be divided by area of specialization, industry and/or interest. Something to consider. Bill Liddick Associate Director, Enterprise Application Development Ithaca College On 11/18/2011 9:53 AM, Ted Wilder wrote: I am interested, too. Given the high response rate, may I suggest multiple groups to keep individual group size down and some form of discussion summary available to all groups? Ted Wilder Senior Director of Technology Luther Seminary
Message from luke.fernandez@gmail.com

Also how bout a hashtag that could be used across all the book discussions?  Maybe #CIObooks?

On Friday, November 18, 2011, Langlie, Nicholas <langlienk@longwood.edu> wrote:
> Hi all, just a thought, but perhaps we can do the first round with the whole group with one of the CIO books first mentioned?  I fear that all of this interest to break the groups into distinct categories is a bit much.  I would hate to see the interest, particularly in the titles first mentioned get lost in over attention to compartmentalization before we have begun.
> Dr. Nicholas Konrad Langlie
> Director of Planning & Policy
> Longwood University
> 201 High Street
> Farmville, VA 23909
> [voice] 434.395.2034
> [fax]   434.395.2035
> langlienk@longwood.edu
> http://mynerdalert.blogspot.com/
> ________________________________________
> Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 10:07 AM
> To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
> Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea
> Going off of Teds previous email on organizing the books, maybe groups can be divided by area of specialization, industry and/or interest.  Something to consider.
> Bill Liddick
> Associate Director, Enterprise Application Development
> Ithaca College
> On 11/18/2011 9:53 AM, Ted Wilder wrote:
> I am interested, too.
> Ted Wilder
> Senior Director of Technology
> Luther Seminary
Message from luke.fernandez@gmail.com

> "The leader could set a limit, but for a good discussion the group would be limited to 12 or less, I would think.". As an adjunct I limit my online classes to 10 students or less so I appreciate the virtues of a virtual seminar. But this is a forward thinking group isn't it? Shouldn't we be exploring the potential of a MOOC? -Luke Sent from my iPad On Nov 18, 2011, at 8:21 AM, "Langlie, Nicholas" wrote: > Hi all, just a thought, but perhaps we can do the first round with the whole group with one of the CIO books first mentioned? I fear that all of this interest to break the groups into distinct categories is a bit much. I would hate to see the interest, particularly in the titles first mentioned get lost in over attention to compartmentalization before we have begun. > > Someone pick a first leader to start us off (maybe one of our EDUCAUSE friends can pick) and let him or her pick a book and lets just roll with it . . . Nick : ) > > Dr. Nicholas Konrad Langlie > Director of Planning & Policy > Longwood University > 201 High Street > Farmville, VA 23909 > > [voice] 434.395.2034 > [fax] 434.395.2035 > > langlienk@longwood.edu > http://mynerdalert.blogspot.com/ > ________________________________________ > From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Bill Liddick [wliddick@ITHACA.EDU] > Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 10:07 AM > To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU > Subject: Re: [CIO] Book Club idea > > Going off of Teds previous email on organizing the books, maybe groups can be divided by area of specialization, industry and/or interest. Something to consider. > > Bill Liddick > Associate Director, Enterprise Application Development > Ithaca College > > On 11/18/2011 9:53 AM, Ted Wilder wrote: > I am interested, too. > > Given the high response rate, may I suggest multiple groups to keep individual group size down and some form of discussion summary available to all groups? > > Ted Wilder > Senior Director of Technology > Luther Seminary > > > >

EDUCAUSE Connect