A quick question:

I just got a query from our HR department as to whether it would be beneficial to participate in the HEITS survey. Do you use their data? Do you find it more or less useful than CUPA?

Thanks for any opinions!

- Mark

Mark Berman, Chief Information Officer
Siena College
515 Loudon Road
Loudonville, NY  12211
(518)786-5000,  Fax: (518)783-2590

Siena College is a learning community advancing the ideals of a liberal arts education, rooted in its identity as a Franciscan and Catholic institution.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you received this e-mail and are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by e-mail reply and destroy all copies of the original message.

Comments

I do participate in HEITS, and I would appreciate more participants!  I find the job titles to be clearer for comparison purposes than CUPA, and the ability to slice data by size of university, location -both regional and urban - to be useful.  I've used the data to compliment CUPA and to provide a different view perspective, which has been very useful for benchmarking key technical positions.

For example, there are IT management salaries by level of institution, student headcount, institutional budget, institutional size, location - small town / urban, etc. Another set of
reports looks similarly at technical staff.

One down-side is the sample size, but that would improve with more participants.

Theresa

Theresa is dead on.
Because you can be so targeted in your comparisons, the small n becomes a problem.
Neil Fay
Hood College

Sent from my IBM 360.  Please excuse my brevity and typos.

On Jul 24, 2012, at 5:00 PM, "Theresa Rowe" <rowe@OAKLAND.EDU> wrote:

reports looks similarly at technical staff.

Theresa

I have found HEITS to be a far better tool in leveraging an argument with HR than CUPA.  Given the format of data and the ability to average by department size, IT budget, institutional budget, location, degrees offered, etc it gives a fairly accurate target to work with.

I would agree with Theresa that it would be greatly improved with more participants.

--------------------------------

Greg Flanik

Chief Information Officer

Baldwin Wallace University

10 Beech Street
Berea, Ohio 44017

v. 440.826.2700

www.bw.edu

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Fay, Cornelius R.
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:57 PM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Do you participate in HEITS?

Theresa is dead on.

Neil Fay

Hood College

Sent from my IBM 360.  Please excuse my brevity and typos.

On Jul 24, 2012, at 5:00 PM, "Theresa Rowe" <rowe@OAKLAND.EDU> wrote:

reports looks similarly at technical staff.

Theresa

We use HEITS as well.  Our HR department, however, relies mainly on CUPA data.  What we did here was us the HEITS titles and matched them to accurate description titles of the CUPA data.  This allowed HR to see accurate analysis of the job associated to the description.

Worked great.

joe

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Greg Flanik
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:52 AM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Do you participate in HEITS?

--------------------------------

Greg Flanik

Chief Information Officer

Baldwin Wallace University

10 Beech Street
Berea, Ohio 44017

v. 440.826.2700

www.bw.edu

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:57 PM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Do you participate in HEITS?

Theresa is dead on.

Neil Fay

Hood College

Sent from my IBM 360.  Please excuse my brevity and typos.

On Jul 24, 2012, at 5:00 PM, "Theresa Rowe" <rowe@OAKLAND.EDU> wrote:

reports looks similarly at technical staff.

Theresa