Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Online Course Student verification
Our institution is in the early stages of putting courses and programs online. As we move forward I have been asked to solicit information on the question below (in bold) which is from our accrediting agency.
If you have online courses how do you verify the identity of the individual completing the coursework?
I have also been asked how we identify the student sitting in the classroom course as the correct person who is registered for the course. We do not have any way of doing that now other than relying on the honesty of the students and the vigilance of the instructor. Do you have any process to confirm the identity of the student in a course taught on you campus?
How should institutions establish that students who register for distance education courses are indeed the students who complete the course requirements and earn the academic credit?
· Institutions should have a systematic approach to verifying that the student who originally enrolled in the course is the same student submitting assignments, taking exams and receiving a final grade.
· At this time, institutions may use systems with secure logins and passwords or proctored exams to verify a student’s identity.
· Any identity verification process must protect student privacy.
· Students must be notified when they enroll or register of any additional fees associated with identity verification.
· Institutions should monitor the evolution of identity verification technologies.
Thanks for your assistance.
Chief Information Officer
St. John Fisher College
Rochester, NY 14618