This is just unbelievably shocking and sad news; am just learning of it now. I always enjoyed interactions with Dewitt and know he was very excited about the opportunity at Montana.

Rest in peace, Dewitt,

Chris

Christine E. Haile

Chief Information Officer

University at Albany

518-956-8080

chaile@albany.edu

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Ana Hunsinger
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:06 PM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Sad News

As someone pointed out, it's so hard to write when one can be at such a loss of words, but I will try.

First, on behalf of Internet2, we'd like to express our most sincere condolences to the Latimer family, friends and Dewitt's colleagues. Dewitt will be sorely missed by our community,  and we are thankful for the time we had with him. At our recent annual meeting, it was great to see Dewitt who was a vibrant voice to the larger set of important conversations with the Internet2 community, including those with the CIOs.  We all grieve for his untimely departure and will miss his contributions to innovative thinking for the higher ed community.   We will fondly remember, as so many of you have expressed, the many good times where Dewitt enriched our lives.

On a personal note, I will miss  a dear friend. From our chats about family and his always checking on mine to having a great supporter who lent constructive input into my career with wisdom and encouragement. It does not surprise me when I see how many of you Dewitt touched through out the years. The memories (our memories) echo in some way the contributions Dewitt made as a wonderful spirit,  good friend and colleague to our lives.

Ana Hunsinger

Community Engagement

Internet2

Comments

I only knew Dewitt through postings over many years and one brief meeting.  But there is no doubt that Dewitt made a difference, and isn't that what we all hope to do?

My condolences to his family and to all fortunate enough to have known him well.

-----------------------------------
Jim Bostick
Division Director, User Services
VCU Technology Services
Virginia Commonwealth University

On May 8, 2013 1:15 PM, "Ana Hunsinger" <ana@internet2.edu> wrote:

Ana Hunsinger
Community Engagement
Internet2

I worked only briefly with Dewitt but was greatly impressed and am sad at the news of his passing.  I hope that Dewitt's teammates at Montana State will call upon me if there is something that I can do to assist them in this difficult time.

- Dan

Community Engagement

Internet2

Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer
Oakland University

Message from jj014747@pomona.edu

Having had the privilege of working with Dewitt, if only for a little time, I think our community has taken a loss and I echo my condolences to his family.

Julianne Journitz
Director, Client Services
Information Technology Services
Pomona College
Claremont, California

From: Theresa Rowe <rowe@OAKLAND.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv <CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:54:18 -0400
To: <CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [CIO] Sad News

Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer
Oakland University

------------------------------------------------------------- This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software. ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones.

Best,

Jonathan See
Chief Information Officer
Pepperdine University
310.506.6256

@SeeJonathan

Message from jmorales@purduecal.edu

I had the opportunity of working with Dewitt while he was at ND.  A great loss and I also echo my condolences to his family.

Joe Morales

Director of Technological Infrastructure Services

219.989.2356

jmorales@purduecal.edu

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.  He always contributed so much to the discussions which I know helped me see things more clearly.  RIP.

Deborah Ludford
District Director, Information Services
North Orange County Community College District
Office: (714) 808-4866
Fax: (714) 808-4845

CISOA President

Protect your data and your identity! NEVER respond to e-mail requesting "personal data" (i.e. passwords, social security numbers, etc.). <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

>>> Theresa Rowe <rowe@OAKLAND.EDU> 5/6/2013 11:54 AM >>>

Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer
Oakland University

This is absolutely devastating news.  He was with some of us just last week in a meeting.  He was an incredible leader always ready to share ideas.  He will be absolutely missed.  Life is too short and unpredictable.  Our thoughts and prayers with his family.

Ravi

Ravi Pendse Ph.D.

Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer

Executive Director, Advanced Networking Research Institute

Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Wichita State Cisco Fellow

Senior NIAR Fellow

Wichita State University

ravi.pendse@wichita.edu

316-978-4878

How terrible!  I knew and respected Dewitt.  He will be sorely missed in this community and many others.

Brian Miller
V.P. Information Technology Services & CIO
Davenport University
6191 Kraft Ave. SE / Broadmoor Suite 270
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
p. 616.732.1195 | c. 616-821-2618
brian.miller@davenport.edu

Follow us on Twitterhttps://twitter.com/DavenportU
Rate my Customer Service: http://great.davenport.edu/

I am very sorry to hear of DeWitt's death.  I came to know him at the Frye Institute in 2001, and he certainly earned both respect and affection from all of us who had a chance to work with him.  If you didn't get that opportunity, trust me, you would be saddened by this news.  He'll be missed.

David
_________________________________________________________________________
David W. Sisk, PhD   Associate Director for Administration, Information Technology Services
Macalester College      /      1600 Grand Avenue      /       Saint Paul, Minnesota  55105-1899
http://its-notices-alerts.blogspot.com/                  Voice (651) 696-6745,  FAX (651) 696-6778

I am shocked and greatly saddened to hear this.

John

Montana has just posted this memorial web site:

Condolences, not only to his wife and family, but to all who knew him, worked with him, or benefited from his leadership and insight. Our community is better for his having been a part of it, and his legacy will continue even in spite of our tremendous sense of loss. Mike -- J. Michael Yohe Executive Director of Electronic Information Services, Retired Valparaiso University E-mail: Mike Yohe@valpo.edu Postal Address, Phone: Send e-mail request for information -- On Mon, 6 May 2013, Theresa Rowe wrote: > Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:54:18 -0400 > From: Theresa Rowe > Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv > > To: CIO@listserv.educause.edu > Subject: [CIO] Sad News > > Marty Ringle and I are very sorry to share that our colleague Dewitt > Latimer was killed in a motorcycle accident. > > http://www.kpax.com/news/msu-chief-information-officer-killed-in-motorcy... > > We will remember Dewitt as a friend who was always ready to share his deep > technical knowledge, whether in a formal presentation or over a drink as > friends at the end of a long conference day. Our condolences to his wife, > children, and sister, who was kind enough to reach out during this time of > shock and sorrow. He will be missed. > > > -- > Theresa Rowe > Chief Information Officer > Oakland University > > ********** > Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/. > > ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
On behalf of the IT division here at Wiley College, we share our condolences. Rest in peace, colleague! Nathaniel E. Hewitt, III Vice President for Information Systems and Technology Wiley College 711 Wiley Avenue Marshall, Texas 75670 903-923-2404 (office) 903-263-9630 (cell) 903-927-2672 (fax) nhewitt@wileyc.edu Visit us on the web at www.wileyc.edu Wiley College: Home of The Great Debaters

Some of the most lively conversations that I’ve had with anyone were with Dewitt… What a loss… His family was still in South Bend - he was commuting back and forth to Montana…..

I remember being at an Educause conference and I was embroiled in a very lively “discussion” about something with a few friends. Dewitt was walking by and I called over to him and said, “Hey, Dewitt, I was wondering if you have an opinion about….. oh heck, you have an opinion about everything! Come on over and join in!” And the discussion get so much better….

******************************************
Charlie Moran
Sr. Partner & CEO

1215 Hamilton Lane, Suite 200
Naperville, IL  60540
Toll-Free (877) 212-6379 (Voice & Fax)
Website:
www.MoranTechnology.com
******************************************
P Please consider the environment before printing this email...

When we meet at EDUCAUSE next fall, we need to lift a glass in his honor.

Dr. Robert Paterson

Vice President – Information Technology, Planning and Research

Molloy College

Rockville Centre, NY

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Theresa Rowe
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 3:36 PM
To: CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [CIO] Sad News

Montana has just posted this memorial web site:

Very sad news indeed. I was also with Dewitt last week in San Diego and got to know him before leaving the NWACC group this year.

My prayers are with his family and friends.

Greg Smith

Chief Information Officer

Missouri University of Science and Technology - www.mst.edu

Message from mzywoo@gmail.com

I met Dewitt when I was still at Illinois (two institutions ago). He's been a great pal over the years, through friendly competition for the same jobs, through co-presenting at conferences, and through much cussing and discussing about the challenges facing higher education IT. I was always able to point to Dewitt (semi-seriously, of course) as one in higher ed IT who was mouthier than me. :-)

This is not only a huge loss for the higher ed CIO community, but a great personal loss to me as well.

I'm going to miss you, Dewitt... ya big loudmouth. I hope you're giving 'em heck where you are now.

Melissa Woo
University of Oregon

I spent more time with Dewitt last weekend than ever before—so I am both very sad, and yet lucky to have had that opportunity. What a huge spirit, and what a loss. I am so sorry for his family and the many others who knew and loved him.

Ethan

——

Ethan Benatan, Ph.D.
Vice President,
Chief Information Officer, and
Chief Strategy Officer
503.699.6325 (o)  /
503.528.6713 (m)

MARYLHURST UNIVERSITY
You. Unlimited.

Truly shocking news. My prayers are with his family and my friends at MSU and NWACC.

Dr. Sharon E. Blanton

Date: Monday, May 6, 2013 8:54 AM
To: "CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [CIO] Sad News

Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer
Oakland University

It was an incredibly sad day at Notre Dame today. Dewitt was a great friend and colleague for so many people here. Some from Notre Dame lit candles at the Grotto and others said prayers at the Basilica or at one of the numerous campus chapels. Many talked with friends and shared memories concerning Dewitt and expressed hope and best wishes for his family. Others simply walked around wondering why things like this happen. Dewitt made an extraordinary difference at Notre Dame and throughout our community. Words cannot adequately express the loss felt by so many here. **************** **************** Ron Kraemer Vice President of Information Technologies and CIO University of Notre Dame ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

DeWitt was a great friend and a joy to be around.  My prayers to his dear family.   He touched so many of us in so many ways.  Pat

Patricia H. Todus

Thank you all for the kind condolences although I know they weren't meant solely for me. Dewitt was my boss at Montana State for the last 11 months. I have lost a role model, mentor, supporter, protector, teacher, guide and friend. He was the joy in my job that can never be replaced. He was impatient for results but always patient with people. He could laugh at anything, throw caution to the winds, take any criticism to heart and learn from it. He accepted people for who they were and was a friend to all. He always lived life the way he wanted to live it, he was always the person he wanted to be. I have been blessed to know him these 11 months and have learned from him more than I even yet know. There is a hole in my heart that can never be filled. --Anne Anne Milkovich, MBA PMP SPHR Director of IT Administration, Planning and Programs MSU IT Center, Planning and Program Management Office 51a Renne Library, Montana State University P.O. Box 173240 Bozeman MT 59717-3240 406.994.5715 anne.milkovich@montana.edu ________________________________________
Amazing to see the comments and impact that Dewitt had with this group. I really had just met Dewitt, finding him both a character (I am sure all who knew him agree) and a real leader with deep technical knowledge and a collaborative spirit that was set up for us to work together for a great Montana system future in IT. All I can really say is that in the short time I knew Dewitt, he presented a challenge, earned my respect, showed a soft side beyond that technical drive and ultimately made an impression that I will not forget. Montana State, and the State of Montana, will miss Dewitt. -Matt Matt Riley Chief Information Officer University of Montana (406) 243-6100 From: Theresa Rowe > Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv > Date: Monday, May 6, 2013 12:54 PM To: "CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" > Subject: [CIO] Sad News Marty Ringle and I are very sorry to share that our colleague Dewitt Latimer was killed in a motorcycle accident. http://www.kpax.com/news/msu-chief-information-officer-killed-in-motorcy... We will remember Dewitt as a friend who was always ready to share his deep technical knowledge, whether in a formal presentation or over a drink as friends at the end of a long conference day. Our condolences to his wife, children, and sister, who was kind enough to reach out during this time of shock and sorrow. He will be missed. -- Theresa Rowe Chief Information Officer Oakland University ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/. ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

EDUCAUSE Connect