Main Nav

Here is a 2 minute simple audio/video presentation I created to teach students about passwords.

It is titled 5 things you need to know about passwords.  The goal was to do something short, and to the point. Things students could walk away with.
We did this during our week of welcome day on the quad, as they call it.  Over 200 outdoor booths from local vendors, and USU clubs, organizations and departments.    We have found that we can reach more students at this event than any other out there.

We draw them in by offering free Aggie Ice Cream (is is the best).   We Served 25 gallons of ice cream to about 950 students.
So students came to our large canopy where they watched this short 2 minute video on a 70 inch screen. We had amplified speakers.
After watching this they were given a ticket for a free aggie ice cream cone located in the back of the tent/canopy.  

We ran for 3 hours from 10:30 until 1:30 when we ran out of ice-cream. We had a non stop line.

Now the funny thing.  Our security team was the ones there showing the video, and interacting with the students. Towards the end, one of the security team members started asking students "  So what is your password"  85% would not tell him but the other 15% started too.

Only thing we would do different was to shorten the video to 90 seconds.  That would of been perfect for our ice cream scoop ability rate.  We had about 15 students watch the video at the same time.  



Kevin Reeve
Utah State University




********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Comments

Very nice video. Will you have an event like this for Cyber Security month, too?
Tiffany T. Yu
IT Communications
Information Technology  | Pepperdine University
24255 Pacific Coast Highway | Malibu, CA 90263-4173
tiffany.yu@pepperdine.edu | (310) 506-4139

From: Kevin Reeve <Kevin.Reeve@USU.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE IT Communications Constituent Group Listserv <ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:07 AM
To: "ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [ITCOMM] Password security training - our latest efforts

Here is a 2 minute simple audio/video presentation I created to teach students about passwords.

It is titled 5 things you need to know about passwords.  The goal was to do something short, and to the point. Things students could walk away with.
We did this during our week of welcome day on the quad, as they call it.  Over 200 outdoor booths from local vendors, and USU clubs, organizations and departments.    We have found that we can reach more students at this event than any other out there.

We draw them in by offering free Aggie Ice Cream (is is the best).   We Served 25 gallons of ice cream to about 950 students.
So students came to our large canopy where they watched this short 2 minute video on a 70 inch screen. We had amplified speakers.
After watching this they were given a ticket for a free aggie ice cream cone located in the back of the tent/canopy.  

We ran for 3 hours from 10:30 until 1:30 when we ran out of ice-cream. We had a non stop line.

Now the funny thing.  Our security team was the ones there showing the video, and interacting with the students. Towards the end, one of the security team members started asking students "  So what is your password"  85% would not tell him but the other 15% started too.

Only thing we would do different was to shorten the video to 90 seconds.  That would of been perfect for our ice cream scoop ability rate.  We had about 15 students watch the video at the same time.  



Kevin Reeve
Utah State University




********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Tiffany,

We have learned over the years that going to an event already planned for students by students is much more successful than trying to draw them in to our events.   So that is why we go to this event where there are already several thousands students around.  It has worked the best for us. 

We will do some digital signage stuff for cyber security week to get some things out across campus.  

Kevin


From: "Yu, Tiffany T" <Tiffany.Yu@PEPPERDINE.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE IT Communications Constituent Group Listserv <ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 09:09:01 -0700
To: <ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [ITCOMM] Password security training - our latest efforts

Very nice video. Will you have an event like this for Cyber Security month, too?
Tiffany T. Yu
IT Communications
Information Technology  | Pepperdine University
24255 Pacific Coast Highway | Malibu, CA 90263-4173
tiffany.yu@pepperdine.edu | (310) 506-4139

From: Kevin Reeve <Kevin.Reeve@USU.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE IT Communications Constituent Group Listserv <ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:07 AM
To: "ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [ITCOMM] Password security training - our latest efforts

Here is a 2 minute simple audio/video presentation I created to teach students about passwords.

It is titled 5 things you need to know about passwords.  The goal was to do something short, and to the point. Things students could walk away with.
We did this during our week of welcome day on the quad, as they call it.  Over 200 outdoor booths from local vendors, and USU clubs, organizations and departments.    We have found that we can reach more students at this event than any other out there.

We draw them in by offering free Aggie Ice Cream (is is the best).   We Served 25 gallons of ice cream to about 950 students.
So students came to our large canopy where they watched this short 2 minute video on a 70 inch screen. We had amplified speakers.
After watching this they were given a ticket for a free aggie ice cream cone located in the back of the tent/canopy.  

We ran for 3 hours from 10:30 until 1:30 when we ran out of ice-cream. We had a non stop line.

Now the funny thing.  Our security team was the ones there showing the video, and interacting with the students. Towards the end, one of the security team members started asking students "  So what is your password"  85% would not tell him but the other 15% started too.

Only thing we would do different was to shorten the video to 90 seconds.  That would of been perfect for our ice cream scoop ability rate.  We had about 15 students watch the video at the same time.  



Kevin Reeve
Utah State University




********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Hi Kevin,

Nice video! You’ve offered some great tips, as well, so I have added your latest training efforts to our National Cyber Security Awareness Month resource kit: https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/itsg2/NCSAM+Resource+Kit

 

We would love to display other campus efforts, whether you have a URL specifically for NCSAM 2012 activities or you just want to share plans via this list. (You’ll also find links to free resources and adaptable materials in the green box at the top of the resource kit page.)

 

Thank you!

Valerie

 

Valerie Vogel Program Manager

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | main: 202.872.4200 | educause.edu

 

Close
Close


Annual Conference
September 29–October 2
View Proceedings

Events for all Levels and Interests

Whether you're looking for a conference to attend face-to-face to connect with peers, or for an online event for team professional development, see what's upcoming.

Close

Digital Badges
Member recognition effort
Earn yours >

Career Center


Leadership and Management Programs

EDUCAUSE Institute
Project Management

 

 

Jump Start Your Career Growth

Explore EDUCAUSE professional development opportunities that match your career aspirations and desired level of time investment through our interactive online guide.

 

Close
EDUCAUSE organizes its efforts around three IT Focus Areas

 

 

Join These Programs If Your Focus Is

Close

Get on the Higher Ed IT Map

Employees of EDUCAUSE member institutions and organizations are invited to create individual profiles.
 

 

Close

2015 Strategic Priorities

  • Building the Profession
  • IT as a Game Changer
  • Foundations


Learn More >

Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™

EDUCAUSE is the foremost community of higher education IT leaders and professionals.