Comments

Message from markp@together.net

Joe, do you still have Mohannad Maswady's email address? I believe he wrote you while I was still in Jordan. He handled our integration with live@EDU. King's Academy moves graduates there every year.  I'm sure he would be glad to give you some info.

Mark

All:

We’ve decided to move our email from our internal Microsoft Exchange 2007 server to the Microsoft Live@EDU (soon to be office 365 for Education).

Has anyone:

Moved to Live@EDU?

Migrated their internal exchange server to Live@EDU?

If so, please contact me as I would like to discuss the migration process.

J

Message from breslinj@rosemontschool.org

Hope all goes well with this for you. Looking forward to hearing about it.   Jim

Message from marc@princetonfriendsschool.org

In the process of testing it out. I will keep all posted on our progress.

On Jun 26, 2012, at 11:48 AM, "Jim Breslin" <breslinj@ROSEMONTSCHOOL.ORG> wrote:

Message from ryan.young@mastersny.org

Can we put together documentation on this process?

I feel a number of us will go this route in the future

Dan Pereira
The Masters School

-----Original message-----
From: Marc Liebowitz <marc@PRINCETONFRIENDSSCHOOL.ORG>
To:
"ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Sent:
Tue, Jun 26, 2012 11:50:26 EDT
Subject:
Re: [ACCESS] Live@EDU migration

In the process of testing it out. I will keep all posted on our progress.

Skidmore migrated from in house Exchange 2003 to Live at EDU. Students completed January 2011, and faculty and staff across the next year. Due to tools not yet available in Microsoft (the Exchange Migration utility was part of the February 2011 release which was rolled out after February) we migrated students using a third party tool (very painful and slow). Once the Microsoft tool was available we switched to it, and migrations were much easier for faculty and staff.

We operated in a "shared" address space model, with both our in-house and Live at EDU domain sharing the @skidmore.edu namespace. We used secondary email addresses for each domain (@exchange.skidmore.edu for in-house and @live.skidmore.edu for Live at EDU) and mailusers/contacts to ensure correct mail routing during the migration.

Glad to discuss or expound on any aspect of the migration.

Jeff Clark
Jeffrey A. Clark, Director, Enterprise Systems-IT
Skidmore College
815 North Broadway
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866-1632
Phone: 518-580-5929
E-mail: jclark@skidmore.edu

From: <Young>, Ryan <Ryan.Young@MASTERSNY.ORG>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE ACCESS Constituent Group Listserv <ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:06 PM
To: "ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [ACCESS] Live@EDU migration

Can we put together documentation on this process?

I feel a number of us will go this route in the future

Dan Pereira
The Masters School

-----Original message-----
From: Marc Liebowitz <marc@PRINCETONFRIENDSSCHOOL.ORG>
To:
"ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Sent:
Tue, Jun 26, 2012 11:50:26 EDT
Subject:
Re: [ACCESS] Live@EDU migration

In the process of testing it out. I will keep all posted on our progress.

This is very helpful!

Thanks Jeff!

Here’s what we’ve done so far (and I welcome questions/comments from anyone regarding it)

1.       I built a Microsoft ILM server to synch our AD to Live@EDU.  Doing this created “mail-enabled users” on Live@EDU, but not mailboxes.

2.       I’ve done some preliminary migration utility testing and everything is working fine.  NOTE: if you run a migration process, the accounts listed in the migration batch will no longer be able to receive email from the on-premise exchange server.

3.       In order to create mailboxes once users are uploaded via ILM, I have to use the migration utility – however, I might be able to use the Mailbox .csv creation utility (I will be testing this soon to see if I can).

4.       I’ve created a shared domain/address space setup, but have not changed the MX record to point to Live@EDU (email is still delivered locally).  I will not be relying on this and will be telling users once the cutover has been made, the on-premise system is no longer useable, just accessible for viewing.  If users attempt to send email through their on-premise account it is at their own risk and peril!

5.       I’ve reconfigured DNS to point everything BUT the MX record to Live@EDU and tested client connectivity; everything works fine.

6.       I’m trying to figure out how I will be dealing with the following situations:

a.       Mailbox delegates

b.      Creating Distribution groups (they currently are in Live@EDU as “mail enabled users”)

c.       Managing existing Microsoft live users (which I think I’ve figured out today)

What is scaring me is that throughout this process everything has been exactly as Microsoft states it would be, and has been pretty smooth so far. (of course, I’ve probably jinxed myself!!)

J

Joseph Lorenzatti

Technology Director

The Williston Northampton School

From: The EDUCAUSE ACCESS Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Clark
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:33 PM
To: ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: Live@EDU migration

Glad to discuss or expound on any aspect of the migration.

Jeff Clark

Jeffrey A. Clark, Director, Enterprise Systems-IT
Skidmore College
815 North Broadway
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866-1632
Phone: 518-580-5929
E-mail: jclark@skidmore.edu

From: <Young>, Ryan <Ryan.Young@MASTERSNY.ORG>
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:06 PM
To: "ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [ACCESS] Live@EDU migration

Can we put together documentation on this process?

I feel a number of us will go this route in the future

Dan Pereira

The Masters School

-----Original message-----

From: Marc Liebowitz <marc@PRINCETONFRIENDSSCHOOL.ORG>
To:
"ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <ACCESS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Sent:
Tue, Jun 26, 2012 11:50:26 EDT
Subject:
Re: [ACCESS] Live@EDU migration

In the process of testing it out. I will keep all posted on our progress.

View Proceedings