Message from payneb@svcc.edu

We are looking into VDI for all our computer labs. VMware View to be exact with WYSE P20 Zero Clients. Roughly about 300 or more vm's for all the labs.

From a virtual standpoint - do you see the need for Faronics Deepfreeze on all computer lab vm's? Currently we are using Deepfreeze on our desktops in all labs and has worked out great. For this situation, I'm not interested in the security implications of why Deepfreeze is bad, just if its recommended in a virtual environment.

What are you doing in situations if a user profile gets hosed up with malware in this vm enviroment?

Brandon Payne
Technical Support Specialist
Information Services
Sauk Valley Community College

Comments

Message from mike.lococo@nyu.edu

On 12/06/2011 06:00 PM, Brandon Payne wrote: > We are looking into VDI for all our computer labs. VMware View to be exact > with WYSE P20 Zero Clients. Roughly about 300 or more vm's for all the labs. > > From a virtual standpoint - do you see the need for Faronics Deepfreeze on > all computer lab vm's? Currently we are using Deepfreeze on our desktops in > all labs and has worked out great. For this situation, I'm not interested > in the security implications of why Deepfreeze is bad, just if its > recommended in a virtual environment. > > What are you doing in situations if a user profile gets hosed up with > malware in this vm enviroment? Why wouldn't you use the native snapshotting facilities that VMWare provides? The main feature that deepfreeze delivers in the physical world is snapshotting and rollback, and that's a feature that VMWare delivers out of the box. Cheers, Mike Lococo
Agreed.......or, couldn't you just reprovision a new image on the fly?

This is likely one of those situations where I should just continue to shut my mouth until we are already to act but here goes:

My company Valt.X Technologies owns the patents in this area and we intend to enforce our patents in 2012.

Here’s my advice – if you are using Deep Freeze or any VDI - include in your contract that they cover you for Patent Infringement.

Valt.X has just won its first public tender in Canada – we own this area and intend to enforce our intellectual property rights.

Our position is that Deep Freeze is a blatant copy of Valt.X issued patents and that VDI also infringes our patents – we intend to sue all infringers.

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622

Email: dennis@valtx.com

Web: www.valtx.com

You had it right in your first paragraph. Whatever the merits of your patent case (and you will have to forgive my skepticism) you have no business interjecting it into this discussion.

Bad form…..scare tactics…..bad publicity stunt…..how do we get the Educause moderator involved??

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Walter Moore
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:54 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

I will follow-up with Dennis off-list. Thank you for your patience.

Best,

Valerie

_______________

Valerie M. Vogel

Program Manager, EDUCAUSE

office: (202) 331-5374

e-mail: vvogel@educause.edu

_______________

Follow us on Twitter! @HEISCouncil

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of SCHALIP, MICHAEL
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:34 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:54 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Message from payneb@svcc.edu

Yes, I understand its as easy as deleting the problematic VM and a few minutes later the replica master starts provisioning a new VM; Getting it back up and running in a matter of minutes.

However, Student/Faculty users will likely be Local Administrators (allowing the use of installing student book resource cd's, old legacy software that requires admin to run, etc.), therefore the use of Deepfreeze has helped tremendously. The idea of having Deepfreeze on the VM and having the VM reboot on logoff gives a calming feeling.

Brandon Payne
Technical Support Specialist
Information Services
Sauk Valley Community College

Message from christopher.webber@ucr.edu

I was under the impression that there was a way to essentially destroy the vm on log off so that every time you logged on you got a fresh vm.

-- cwebber

On Dec 7, 2011, at 12:15, "Brandon Payne" <payneb@SVCC.EDU> wrote:

Brandon Payne
Technical Support Specialist
Information Services
Sauk Valley Community College

Not a publicity stunt.

I’m simply saying protect yourself in your purchase agreements.

I would expect by March 2012 all of the infringement notices will be out.

In fact I’ll send your University the first infringement notice right now Michael and I’ll give you 30 days to stop infringing – this way you can be convinced this is not a publicity stunt.

I find your attitude repulsive – I’m giving good advice – alerting you to a problem and you would like to get the moderator involved?

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622

Email: dennis@valtx.com

Web: www.valtx.com

Sent: December 7, 2011 9:34 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [Possible Spam] Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:54 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Message from mclaugkl@ucmail.uc.edu

Dennis:
You really need to stand down. You are definitely not building strong customer relationships with your recent emails.
- Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin
AVP, Information Security & Special Projects
University of Cincinnati

On Dec 7, 2011, at 4:13 PM, "Dennis Meharchand" <dennis@VALTX.COM> wrote:

Not a publicity stunt.

I’m simply saying protect yourself in your purchase agreements.

I would expect by March 2012 all of the infringement notices will be out.

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622

Email: dennis@valtx.com

Web: www.valtx.com

Sent: December 7, 2011 9:34 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [Possible Spam] Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:54 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Kevin,

Standing down is good advice – I’ll take it.

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622

Email: dennis@valtx.com

Web: www.valtx.com

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)
Sent: December 7, 2011 4:58 PM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [Possible Spam] Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Dennis:

- Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin

AVP, Information Security & Special Projects

University of Cincinnati

On Dec 7, 2011, at 4:13 PM, "Dennis Meharchand" <dennis@VALTX.COM> wrote:

Not a publicity stunt.

I’m simply saying protect yourself in your purchase agreements.

I would expect by March 2012 all of the infringement notices will be out.

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622

Email: dennis@valtx.com

Web: www.valtx.com

Sent: December 7, 2011 9:34 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [Possible Spam] Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:54 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Message from mclaugkl@ucmail.uc.edu

No problem. Thanks for the heads up though.

Kevin L. McLaughlin
AVP, Information Security & Special Projects
University of Cincinnati

On Dec 7, 2011, at 5:33 PM, "Dennis Meharchand" <dennis@VALTX.COM> wrote:

Kevin,

Standing down is good advice – I’ll take it.

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622

Email: dennis@valtx.com

Web: www.valtx.com

Sent: December 7, 2011 4:58 PM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [Possible Spam] Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Dennis:

- Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin

AVP, Information Security & Special Projects

University of Cincinnati

On Dec 7, 2011, at 4:13 PM, "Dennis Meharchand" <dennis@VALTX.COM> wrote:

Not a publicity stunt.

I’m simply saying protect yourself in your purchase agreements.

I would expect by March 2012 all of the infringement notices will be out.

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622

Email: dennis@valtx.com

Web: www.valtx.com

Sent: December 7, 2011 9:34 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [Possible Spam] Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:54 AM
To: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Deepfreeze on vm's?

Message from valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 07:34:26 MST, "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" said: > My company Valt.X Technologies owns the patents in this area and we intend > to enforce our patents in 2012. > Here's my advice - if you are using Deep Freeze or any VDI - include in your > contract that they cover you for Patent Infringement. /me goes to make some popcorn. This should be good....
Message from brandon.j.payne@svcc.edu

I'd like to jumpstart my thread again now the vendor has been removed. If anyone else has a similar scenario in production, please share your experiences. Thanks!

-Brandon