Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Credentialing: request for information
I'm doing some research regarding the credentialing possibilities that exist for individuals who wish to receive credit for learning they achieve using OpenCourseWare. (For those who are not familiar with OpenCourseWare, here is a link to the OpenCourseWare Consortium http://www.ocwconsortium.org/. ) I would really appreciate it if you would take just a minute or so to answer the following questions regarding potential credentialing offered at your institution.
Please imagine that an individual is studying the courses/subjects offered though the OpenCourseWare Consortium, and as they are going through their studies they are building an ePortfolio of their work, which includes artifacts of learning, blog postings and reflections on their work, etc. Please imagine that they are completing all of the recommended assignments as outlined in the OpenCourse.
1. Is it possible for a student to earn credit for studies done in this manner?
2. Does this individual need to be matriculated (enrolled) in your college in order to receive credit for their studies?
3. If your answer to question #2 was "No": can they earn credit on a course by course basis? And if so, what is the cost, and can they receive a transcript for transfer of credit?
4. If your answer to question #2 is "Yes": Is the credit given through an Assessment of Prior Learning, and is that credit transferrable to other institutions or must they use it to complete a degree at your institution? Also, what is the cost?
5. If your institution accepts credits via Assessment of Prior Learning and/or Credit by Evaluation, what are total number of credits a student can receive (have accepted) towards a degree program?
6. Can a student at your institution go through OpenCourseWare courses as Independent Studies, and if so is that study treated any differently than a typical course at your institution?
Thanks in advance,
********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.