In the last several months I have gotten a number of emails from Adobe sales representatives asking us who has ordered certain licenses, and can I please track down who at the university (or apparently in the entire UNC system) has made the purchase.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with someone, who was referred to me by our perplexed continual learning divsion, who said they are the regional e-Learning representative, trying to explain that different departments make their own purchases and that the different UNC campuses do their own ordering independently of one another.  And that no, I did not know where a specific person they referred to works, or if he is still at the "purchasing location" - although it turns out that could have been anywhere in the state.  And by the way, if we purchase an Enterprise Term Licensing agreement, we can save SO much money on our Adobe purchases.  And can I please alert him any time anyone makes an Adobe purchase so he's kept in the loop?

Not long ago I received one of these, addressed to people at all different schools, saying "hey team!" and asking who bought those 11 licenses for Captivate because we should upgrade them.  The sender seemed unfazed by the sarcastic responses he got as he never answered anyone's questions about what the heck was going on.

Am I alone in receiving these emails, or has Adobe gone entirely mad?

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)

Comments

Janice, I have not been getting them but in our case they may be going to the purchasing offices (16 of them if not 17)  that issued them. Of course if it is a credit card…

Certainly, I have experience with vendors who do send out such notes when they have lost the contact information (or never collected it)  and I go “who” and “what UT institution” and “no, that Texas school is not part of UT” and “good luck” a lot…

Off to ask a colleague if they are seeing these.

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

Janice writes: “Am I alone in receiving these emails, or has Adobe gone entirely mad?”

I can’t help but respond, with apologies to Lewis Carroll:

-----------------------

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Adobe rep: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Adobe rep, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”

-----------------------

J

- Rick

.- / -.-. .-.. ..- . / ..-. --- .-. / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-.. .-..

Rick Engelhardt    http://staff.buffalostate.edu/engelhrb/

- .... . / .-- .- .-.. .-. ..- ... / .-- .- ... / .--. .- ..- .-..

And there are TWO forms of madJ

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

I thought the first couple may have been spam or malware, since the purported representative never responded to several emails I sent in reply, trying to figure out where the confusion was or what they were actually asking us to do.  But after speaking with the latest sender, he seemed mostly to be having trouble with the concept of decentralized purchasing, and not knowing how to track down the license owners.  Just prior to the latest one the office admin in my own office got a similar email with her own name listed as the purchaser, although she never made the purchase.  And again, it was accompanied by a request for us to figure out who the license owner was.

But then Adobe has never been accused of an excessive understanding the educational market.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)

Janice,

I received a couple six months or so ago, but I haven't received any since.  As to who is mad, I'll leave that unanswered.

Bill

Bill Coker,  ASM
Manager, Software Licensing
Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

I was recently called by an Adobe Sr. Account Development Manager about Captivate and eLearning Suite upgrades. He did not seem to be aware of our Adobe account manager. I, too, was puzzled.

Susan

Susan Brown

Software Services Manager

Academic Technology & User Services

Western Washington University

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Bill Coker
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:03 PM

Janice,

Bill

Bill Coker,  ASM
Manager, Software Licensing
Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

That was my experience as well!  It was all about Captivate and eLearning, and he seemed oblivious to everything else, I gave him our account rep's info too.  It must be some sort of initiative Adobe is pushing.  And not terribly artfully.  They seem to have seized on anyone who has purchased Captivate licenses as marketing targets.  Perhaps it is, indeed, not so much about ignorance and incompetence as it is about strategy.   Throw it all at the wall, and maybe something will stick.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)

Same thing here.  Don't recall the title, but it was an Adobe Person who wanted to talk to be about Connect and possibilities for education.  I said, I have an Adobe Rep, and that's really the person that should be talking to me??  After recently getting the opportunity to spend some time with Adobe Connect, Captivate, and Presenter, I feel that Adobe is missing the boat in what products they should be pushing to Educators however.  Most of my faculty would be / should be / much more interested in Captivate, than Photoshop for creating content for their courses !!

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>
To:        LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Date:        01/21/2014 01:29 PM
Subject:        Re: [LICENSING] Adobe license randomness
Sent by:        The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv <LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

Susan

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Given the recent data breach at Adobe ... um, are we sure these contacts are actually from real Adobe reps?

Ruth Ginzberg, CISSP, CTPS
Sr. I.T. Procurement Specialist
University of Wisconsin System

rginzberg@uwsa.edu
608-890-3961

From: "Darrell Lutey" <darrell.lutey@UNLV.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:56:04 PM

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu

Message from tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu

My thoughts exactly.  Seems like they are fishing for information.

Tracy Raatz

Procurement Coordinator Information Technology

Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point

900 Reserve St  LRC 026

Stevens Point WI 54481

715.346.3773 phone

tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Ruth Ginzberg
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:00 PM

Ruth Ginzberg, CISSP, CTPS

Sr. I.T. Procurement Specialist
University of Wisconsin System

rginzberg@uwsa.edu
608-890-3961

From: "Darrell Lutey" <darrell.lutey@UNLV.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:56:04 PM

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

That is a disturbing thought. And certainly target customers are getting emails/calls that are not target but claim to be…

____________________________________________________

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

This seems like an appropriate matter to ask a real live Adobe contact to weigh in on...

Ruth Ginzberg, CISSP, CTPS

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Thanks Ruth, I had already sent a note to Tim and Trevor, and am copying here.

____________________________________________________

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

I too have received the same inquiry for renewal of expiring Captivate licenses.  The caller was also unaware of our current Adobe rep.  I agree with Janice.

Angela O'Neal

Software License Coordinator - Information Services

Oregon State University - Corvallis, OR 97331

software.coordinator@oregonstate.edu

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:37 PM

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM

Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)

I got a call from Adobe and they hope to get a formal answer to us (he was at an airport). He told me it is an Adobe group calling so it is not realted to the breach. Whew! But they will also answer the question about the cold calling as he understood the concerns.

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Knox, Marg
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:02 PM

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu

Hello Janice,

I know the answer to your question.  Adobe’s account team structure is for one outside rep and one inside rep per territory.   However, they sometimes recruit specialists who deal with specific products or solutions such as Captivate or E-Learning or Acrobat Distiller.  These “specialists” aren’t connected to the education team.  (except for the ETLA specialists)

Sometimes these specialists are salespeople but not always.  These specialists may be trying to learn about how their products fit into the education market.  That is why they are seeking the end user…they realize the license administrator may not know how the software is used in the environment.

I hope this helps.

Timothy Lilly | President

www.JourneyEd.com | www.AcademicSuperstore.com

Office: 800.876.3507 x12515 | Mobile: 469.263.7627 | Fax: 972.481.2100

JourneyEd.com | 5212 Tennyson Pkwy. Ste. 130, Plano, TX 75024 | USA

IMPORTANT NOTICES:

Confidential Information. The information contained in or attached to this e-mail may be confidential information subject to protection by law or terms of applicable confidentiality agreements, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you should destroy this message and notify the sender by reply email

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Adobe license randomness

Thanks Ruth, I had already sent a note to Tim and Trevor, and am copying here.

____________________________________________________

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>

Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Phone:  919-515-5419
Fax: 919-515-3694
email:  bill_coker@ncsu.edu
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Thanks Tim.  The whole thing reeks of disingenuousness, and I was extremely irritated to be called by someone who wants me to track down specific order numbers or people, with a vague report of purchases, asks me to explain the UNC system, explain our purchasing systems, and then keeps me on the phone for 20 minutes while trying to convince me of the wonders of an enterprise license agreement.

I told him if we was trying to convince me about the benefits of an agreement it was a questionable strategy to randomly send emails to different departments across campus (who end up calling me) and ask them to clean up Adobe's ordering information.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)

Excellent!  We have that same conversation, both with Adobe and SPSS. Must go to the same sales rep training school.

Theresa

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014, Engelhardt, Richard <ENGELHRB@buffalostate.edu> wrote:

I can’t help but respond, with apologies to Lewis Carroll:

-----------------------

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Adobe rep, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”

-----------------------

J

- Rick

.- / -.-. .-.. ..- . / ..-. --- .-. / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-.. .-..

Rick Engelhardt    http://staff.buffalostate.edu/engelhrb/

- .... . / .-- .- .-.. .-. ..- ... / .-- .- ... / .--. .- ..- .-..

Please see note from Trevor of Adobe...

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Trevor Bailey <tbailey@adobe.com>
Date: January 21, 2014 at 6:46:43 PM CST
To: "Knox, Marg" <mknox@austin.utexas.edu>, Timothy Schulenburg <tschulen@adobe.com>
Subject: RE: [LICENSING] Adobe license randomness

Hi Marg,

Thank you for reaching out. Feel free to convey the information below to the listserv.

First and foremost – apologies for any problems or confusion that a few individuals seem to have caused. As you can imagine, Adobe is a large distributed organization and occasionally these types of issues arise. I have personally reached out to the individuals responsible for the product lines that are mentioned (Captivate / E-learning/ Connect) to get more information on what these folks are trying to accomplish.  Regardless of the “why”, all such calls should be coordinated with a Universities account manager. I would encourage any customer that felt that they might be receiving rogue or deceitful calls from Adobe to contact their established Adobe account manager immediately. If they cannot be reached, then their managers would be the next person to contact. Of course, Tim and I are always available to help.

With this particular issue, I’ll let you know what I find from the relevant product groups. They do occasionally have calling campaigns to existing customers and it is possible that they did not exclude the education customers. This is most likely the cause of the issue. I can assure you that this is not related to the data breach that occurred several months ago.

Regards,

Trevor

From: Knox, Marg [mailto:mknox@austin.utexas.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:03 PM
To: Trevor Bailey; Timothy Schulenburg
Subject: FW: [LICENSING] Adobe license randomness

Oh dear, a disturbing thought!

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Raatz, Tracy
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Adobe license randomness

My thoughts exactly.  Seems like they are fishing for information.

Tracy Raatz

Darrell Lutey
Assistant Director, 702-895-0763
Office of Information Technology, UNLV
CBC B129 / Mail Stop 7040
http://oit.unlv.edu  |  Twitter@unlv_oit
IT Help Desk: 702-895-0777

http://labman.unlv.edu (like us on facebook)

From:        Susan Brown <Susan.Brown@WWU.EDU>