Main Nav

Hi folks.  Now that Apple has decided to give away their OS updates, after we paid them tens of thousands of dollars for it under our AELP subscription six months ago, I'm trying to find out what's going on. 

So far, I've had no information from our Apple rep who said several days ago that he'd check into it.  One might be forgiven for expecting them to have figured this out before they announced they're giving away for free what we've paid for (there's a cow joke in there somewhere).

Has anyone subscribed to the AELP been given any info from Apple?

Janice



Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Comments

I will go ask. Good questions  Janice!

Sent from my iPad
Margaret (Marg) H. Knox
The University of Texas System

We've been told that we'll no longer need to renew our AELP, but no additional details have been provided (refunds, redemption codes, etc.)

Chris

Christopher Bues
Kent State University
330.672.3048 cbues@kent.edu

I just emailed with a colleague and they are expecting prorated  credits

Sent from my iPad
Margaret (Marg) H. Knox
The University of Texas System

I just talked to our rep (usually he calls me after 6 and just leaves voice mail) and he said nothing has been confirmed, but it is expected that Apple will reimburse its AELP clients.  I can't imagine our lawyers would accept "credits" for other products when they stop selling what we paid for. 

He said he expects Apple to come out with an announcement and contact subscribers in the next several days.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)



Thanks Janice. Can you give us an update next week? 

Sent from my iPad
Margaret (Marg) H. Knox
The University of Texas System

On Oct 29, 2013, at 2:44 PM, "Janice Tulloss" <Janice_Tulloss@UNCG.EDU> wrote:

I just talked to our rep (usually he calls me after 6 and just leaves voice mail) and he said nothing has been confirmed, but it is expected that Apple will reimburse its AELP clients.  I can't imagine our lawyers would accept "credits" for other products when they stop selling what we paid for. 

He said he expects Apple to come out with an announcement and contact subscribers in the next several days.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)



Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)




I just got word that helps...

I  have confirmed with my corporate Apple contact that  Apple will be issuing pro-rated refunds from the date of announcement (10/22/13) through the remainder of the term for all active AELP and AMP agreements.  Details will follow soon.

Regards, Marg


Sent from my iPad
Margaret (Marg) H. Knox
The University of Texas System

On Oct 29, 2013, at 2:55 PM, "Knox, Marg" <mknox@AUSTIN.UTEXAS.EDU> wrote:

Thanks Janice. Can you give us an update next week? 

Sent from my iPad
Margaret (Marg) H. Knox
The University of Texas System

On Oct 29, 2013, at 2:44 PM, "Janice Tulloss" <Janice_Tulloss@UNCG.EDU> wrote:

I just talked to our rep (usually he calls me after 6 and just leaves voice mail) and he said nothing has been confirmed, but it is expected that Apple will reimburse its AELP clients.  I can't imagine our lawyers would accept "credits" for other products when they stop selling what we paid for. 

He said he expects Apple to come out with an announcement and contact subscribers in the next several days.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)



Message from tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu

Thanks Janice..We are in the same boat!

 

Tracy Raatz

Procurement Coordinator Information Technology

Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point

900 Reserve St  LRC 026

Stevens Point WI 54481

715.346.3773 phone

tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu

 

 

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:08 PM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks

 

Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.

jkt

 

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM

Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)

 

Hi,

In response to repeated inquiries, yesterday I received the following information from Apple's Education Volume Licensing group:
        "The current status of AELP Mac Software Collection is now discontinued. Now that the software titles are free downloads on the Mac App Store the Education department are not processing orders for OS X or iLife. As for your current AELP MacSWCOL license Apple will be processing a prorated credit, for the remainder of the license, to your schools account. At this point I do not have an time when this will take place. However it will be sooner than later."

The Apple inside rep said it would probably be 30 days or more before the University of Notre Dame receives the credit.  Then I'll probably have to wrestle the campus workstation group to get the money back for central software.

As an FYI, our testing indicated that computers without iLife and iWork installed can't get the free downloads from the Mac App Store.  And everyone needs to have an Apple account to get the software. 

I've mentioned this change from institutional licensing to a "go get your own" approach to the contracts group,, and they were a little concerned about it. 

Of course, the Information Security group is also a little concerned because Mavericks doesn't pass security compliance testing yet and there's no way to stop people from getting it.  In the past, most people were willing to wait to get the official campus update (after it passed some initial ND testing) because it was free at that point.  Now, it's free right away without waiting for that pesky testing.

Well, I'm happy about saving tens of thousands of dollars a year!

         Thanks,  Mary


At 03:28 PM 10/29/2013, you wrote:
Thanks Janice..We are in the same boat!
 
Tracy Raatz
Procurement Coordinator Information Technology
Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
900 Reserve St  LRC 026
Stevens Point WI 54481
715.346.3773 phone
tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu
 
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:08 PM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.
jkt
 
Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)
 

Thank you Mary!

 

Yep, saving a few thousand dollars and what the heck on securityJ but similar to the smartphones and tablets, I suspect. When you say it has not passed yet, are you saying you have found a problem in security or that the full testing has not been completed. Just wanted to double check on that

 

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

 

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774   

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

      

 

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary Toll
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 9:56 AM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks

 

Hi,

In response to repeated inquiries, yesterday I received the following information from Apple's Education Volume Licensing group:
        "The current status of AELP Mac Software Collection is now discontinued. Now that the software titles are free downloads on the Mac App Store the Education department are not processing orders for OS X or iLife. As for your current AELP MacSWCOL license Apple will be processing a prorated credit, for the remainder of the license, to your schools account. At this point I do not have an time when this will take place. However it will be sooner than later."

The Apple inside rep said it would probably be 30 days or more before the University of Notre Dame receives the credit.  Then I'll probably have to wrestle the campus workstation group to get the money back for central software.

As an FYI, our testing indicated that computers without iLife and iWork installed can't get the free downloads from the Mac App Store.  And everyone needs to have an Apple account to get the software. 

I've mentioned this change from institutional licensing to a "go get your own" approach to the contracts group,, and they were a little concerned about it. 

Of course, the Information Security group is also a little concerned because Mavericks doesn't pass security compliance testing yet and there's no way to stop people from getting it.  In the past, most people were willing to wait to get the official campus update (after it passed some initial ND testing) because it was free at that point.  Now, it's free right away without waiting for that pesky testing.

Well, I'm happy about saving tens of thousands of dollars a year!

         Thanks,  Mary


At 03:28 PM 10/29/2013, you wrote:

Thanks Janice..We are in the same boat!
 
Tracy Raatz
Procurement Coordinator Information Technology
Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
900 Reserve St  LRC 026
Stevens Point WI 54481
715.346.3773 phone
tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu
 
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:08 PM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.
jkt
 
Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)
 

Hi Marg,

I'm not aware of any security problems so far, but Notre Dame uses a security testing tool that fails on two items in the new OS and that makes all the Mavericks computers look like they're out of compliance (even when they're not).

In addition, we have discovered some pretty serious file space issues in our environment (we're using NetFilers) because departmental shared space access may not work correctly (or at all).  Once those permissions are hosed, one of the storage administrator has to struggle to repair each of them.

         Thanks,  Mary


At 11:05 AM 11/15/2013, you wrote:
Thank you Mary!
 
Yep, saving a few thousand dollars and what the heck on securityJ but similar to the smartphones and tablets, I suspect. When you say it has not passed yet, are you saying you have found a problem in security or that the full testing has not been completed. Just wanted to double check on that
 
____________________________________________________
Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu
 
Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774   
The University of Texas System
CTJ 2.218 78701
      
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary Toll
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 9:56 AM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Hi,

In response to repeated inquiries, yesterday I received the following information from Apple's Education Volume Licensing group:
        "The current status of AELP Mac Software Collection is now discontinued. Now that the software titles are free downloads on the Mac App Store the Education department are not processing orders for OS X or iLife. As for your current AELP MacSWCOL license Apple will be processing a prorated credit, for the remainder of the license, to your schools account. At this point I do not have an time when this will take place. However it will be sooner than later."

The Apple inside rep said it would probably be 30 days or more before the University of Notre Dame receives the credit.  Then I'll probably have to wrestle the campus workstation group to get the money back for central software.

As an FYI, our testing indicated that computers without iLife and iWork installed can't get the free downloads from the Mac App Store.  And everyone needs to have an Apple account to get the software. 

I've mentioned this change from institutional licensing to a "go get your own" approach to the contracts group,, and they were a little concerned about it. 

Of course, the Information Security group is also a little concerned because Mavericks doesn't pass security compliance testing yet and there's no way to stop people from getting it.  In the past, most people were willing to wait to get the official campus update (after it passed some initial ND testing) because it was free at that point.  Now, it's free right away without waiting for that pesky testing.

Well, I'm happy about saving tens of thousands of dollars a year!

         Thanks,  Mary


At 03:28 PM 10/29/2013, you wrote:

Thanks Janice..We are in the same boat!
 
Tracy Raatz
Procurement Coordinator Information Technology
Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
900 Reserve St  LRC 026
Stevens Point WI 54481
715.346.3773 phone
tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu
 
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:08 PM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.
jkt
 
Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)
 

 

Thanks Mary

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

 

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774   

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

      

 

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary Toll
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 11:07 AM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks

 

Hi Marg,

I'm not aware of any security problems so far, but Notre Dame uses a security testing tool that fails on two items in the new OS and that makes all the Mavericks computers look like they're out of compliance (even when they're not).

In addition, we have discovered some pretty serious file space issues in our environment (we're using NetFilers) because departmental shared space access may not work correctly (or at all).  Once those permissions are hosed, one of the storage administrator has to struggle to repair each of them.

         Thanks,  Mary


At 11:05 AM 11/15/2013, you wrote:

Thank you Mary!
 
Yep, saving a few thousand dollars and what the heck on securityJ but similar to the smartphones and tablets, I suspect. When you say it has not passed yet, are you saying you have found a problem in security or that the full testing has not been completed. Just wanted to double check on that
 
____________________________________________________
Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu
 
Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774   
The University of Texas System
CTJ 2.218 78701
      
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary Toll
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 9:56 AM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Hi,

In response to repeated inquiries, yesterday I received the following information from Apple's Education Volume Licensing group:
        "The current status of AELP Mac Software Collection is now discontinued. Now that the software titles are free downloads on the Mac App Store the Education department are not processing orders for OS X or iLife. As for your current AELP MacSWCOL license Apple will be processing a prorated credit, for the remainder of the license, to your schools account. At this point I do not have an time when this will take place. However it will be sooner than later."

The Apple inside rep said it would probably be 30 days or more before the University of Notre Dame receives the credit.  Then I'll probably have to wrestle the campus workstation group to get the money back for central software.

As an FYI, our testing indicated that computers without iLife and iWork installed can't get the free downloads from the Mac App Store.  And everyone needs to have an Apple account to get the software. 

I've mentioned this change from institutional licensing to a "go get your own" approach to the contracts group,, and they were a little concerned about it. 

Of course, the Information Security group is also a little concerned because Mavericks doesn't pass security compliance testing yet and there's no way to stop people from getting it.  In the past, most people were willing to wait to get the official campus update (after it passed some initial ND testing) because it was free at that point.  Now, it's free right away without waiting for that pesky testing.

Well, I'm happy about saving tens of thousands of dollars a year!

         Thanks,  Mary


At 03:28 PM 10/29/2013, you wrote:

Thanks Janice..We are in the same boat!
 
Tracy Raatz
Procurement Coordinator Information Technology
Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
900 Reserve St  LRC 026
Stevens Point WI 54481
715.346.3773 phone
tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu
 
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:08 PM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.
jkt
 
Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)
 

All,

Just a quick clarification with respect to AELP Mac Software Collection which also pertains to the Apple Maintenance Program (AMP) product for the OS, iLife and Work products.  Those products are being discontinued because, as was pointed out, there is no reason to offer maintenance on products that are now free.

Again, as was mentioned, any customer with an active AELP Mac Software Collection or AMP agreement for the aforementioned apps as of the date of announcement (Oct. 22) will receive a pro-rated credit for the remaining term of their agreement as of that date.  It is important to note, however, that these agreements are not being terminated per se. The terms of the agreement are still in force through the remaining term of the agreement.  

I bring this up to call out the fact that the terms of those agreements explicitly permit the distribution of the covered software over the network or through a disk image, etc., i.e. they can be adopted once and pushed.

Hopefully, this will provide some relief for those of you who acquired the licenses through one of the volume purchase or maintenance programs and are contemplating how to deploy the new free apps within your institution.

For those who acquired the license through another means (i.e the purchase of Macs that came with licenses for the OS and iLife '11), I don't have anything to share at this time, but we have heard your request.


One other point of clarification brought up in Mary's email:  Any Mac purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013 is entitled to the free iLife and iWork apps as are any other Macs (regardless of date of purchase) with valid licenses to the iLife '11 or iWork '09 versions of those apps.  In most cases, once you update to Mavericks, these apps will automatically appear in the Mac App Store update section.  If they don't appear there, you can request them through the Up-to-Date program for new Mac purchases at www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/up-to-date/ (note that purchases between Oct 1 and Oct 22 must submit the UTD claim by Nov 21; customers purchasing after Oct 22 will have 30 days to submit their claim).

Thanks,
Bill

Director, Marketing Operations
WW Education Division
Apple, Inc.


On Nov 15, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Mary Toll <mtoll@ND.EDU> wrote:

Hi,

In response to repeated inquiries, yesterday I received the following information from Apple's Education Volume Licensing group:
        "The current status of AELP Mac Software Collection is now discontinued. Now that the software titles are free downloads on the Mac App Store the Education department are not processing orders for OS X or iLife. As for your current AELP MacSWCOL license Apple will be processing a prorated credit, for the remainder of the license, to your schools account. At this point I do not have an time when this will take place. However it will be sooner than later."

The Apple inside rep said it would probably be 30 days or more before the University of Notre Dame receives the credit.  Then I'll probably have to wrestle the campus workstation group to get the money back for central software.

As an FYI, our testing indicated that computers without iLife and iWork installed can't get the free downloads from the Mac App Store.  And everyone needs to have an Apple account to get the software. 

I've mentioned this change from institutional licensing to a "go get your own" approach to the contracts group,, and they were a little concerned about it. 

Of course, the Information Security group is also a little concerned because Mavericks doesn't pass security compliance testing yet and there's no way to stop people from getting it.  In the past, most people were willing to wait to get the official campus update (after it passed some initial ND testing) because it was free at that point.  Now, it's free right away without waiting for that pesky testing.

Well, I'm happy about saving tens of thousands of dollars a year!

         Thanks,  Mary


At 03:28 PM 10/29/2013, you wrote:
Thanks Janice..We are in the same boat!
 
Tracy Raatz
Procurement Coordinator Information Technology
Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
900 Reserve St  LRC 026
Stevens Point WI 54481
715.346.3773 phone
tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu
 
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:08 PM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.
jkt
 
Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)
 
Thanks for answering Bill

Sent from my iPad
Margaret (Marg) H. Knox
The University of Texas System

On Nov 15, 2013, at 4:21 PM, "Bill Sutherland" <sutherland@APPLE.COM> wrote:

All,

Just a quick clarification with respect to AELP Mac Software Collection which also pertains to the Apple Maintenance Program (AMP) product for the OS, iLife and Work products.  Those products are being discontinued because, as was pointed out, there is no reason to offer maintenance on products that are now free.

Again, as was mentioned, any customer with an active AELP Mac Software Collection or AMP agreement for the aforementioned apps as of the date of announcement (Oct. 22) will receive a pro-rated credit for the remaining term of their agreement as of that date.  It is important to note, however, that these agreements are not being terminated per se. The terms of the agreement are still in force through the remaining term of the agreement.  

I bring this up to call out the fact that the terms of those agreements explicitly permit the distribution of the covered software over the network or through a disk image, etc., i.e. they can be adopted once and pushed.

Hopefully, this will provide some relief for those of you who acquired the licenses through one of the volume purchase or maintenance programs and are contemplating how to deploy the new free apps within your institution.

For those who acquired the license through another means (i.e the purchase of Macs that came with licenses for the OS and iLife '11), I don't have anything to share at this time, but we have heard your request.


One other point of clarification brought up in Mary's email:  Any Mac purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013 is entitled to the free iLife and iWork apps as are any other Macs (regardless of date of purchase) with valid licenses to the iLife '11 or iWork '09 versions of those apps.  In most cases, once you update to Mavericks, these apps will automatically appear in the Mac App Store update section.  If they don't appear there, you can request them through the Up-to-Date program for new Mac purchases at www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/up-to-date/ (note that purchases between Oct 1 and Oct 22 must submit the UTD claim by Nov 21; customers purchasing after Oct 22 will have 30 days to submit their claim).

Thanks,
Bill

Director, Marketing Operations
WW Education Division
Apple, Inc.


On Nov 15, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Mary Toll <mtoll@ND.EDU> wrote:

Hi,

In response to repeated inquiries, yesterday I received the following information from Apple's Education Volume Licensing group:
        "The current status of AELP Mac Software Collection is now discontinued. Now that the software titles are free downloads on the Mac App Store the Education department are not processing orders for OS X or iLife. As for your current AELP MacSWCOL license Apple will be processing a prorated credit, for the remainder of the license, to your schools account. At this point I do not have an time when this will take place. However it will be sooner than later."

The Apple inside rep said it would probably be 30 days or more before the University of Notre Dame receives the credit.  Then I'll probably have to wrestle the campus workstation group to get the money back for central software.

As an FYI, our testing indicated that computers without iLife and iWork installed can't get the free downloads from the Mac App Store.  And everyone needs to have an Apple account to get the software. 

I've mentioned this change from institutional licensing to a "go get your own" approach to the contracts group,, and they were a little concerned about it. 

Of course, the Information Security group is also a little concerned because Mavericks doesn't pass security compliance testing yet and there's no way to stop people from getting it.  In the past, most people were willing to wait to get the official campus update (after it passed some initial ND testing) because it was free at that point.  Now, it's free right away without waiting for that pesky testing.

Well, I'm happy about saving tens of thousands of dollars a year!

         Thanks,  Mary


At 03:28 PM 10/29/2013, you wrote:
Thanks Janice..We are in the same boat!
 
Tracy Raatz
Procurement Coordinator Information Technology
Software & Licensing Manager

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
900 Reserve St  LRC 026
Stevens Point WI 54481
715.346.3773 phone
tracy.raatz@uwsp.edu
 
 
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [ mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Janice Tulloss
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:08 PM
To: LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Apple AELP and Mavericks
 
Absolutely.  Our rep said Apple would be contacting all AELP subscribers, so as soon as I hear something, I'll post.
jkt
 
Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Licensing Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412

336-542-2805 (Google Voice)
 
Close
Close


Annual Conference
September 29–October 2
Register Now!

Events for all Levels and Interests

Whether you're looking for a conference to attend face-to-face to connect with peers, or for an online event for team professional development, see what's upcoming.

Close

Digital Badges
Member recognition effort
Earn yours >

Career Center


Leadership and Management Programs

EDUCAUSE Institute
Project Management

 

 

Jump Start Your Career Growth

Explore EDUCAUSE professional development opportunities that match your career aspirations and desired level of time investment through our interactive online guide.

 

Close
EDUCAUSE organizes its efforts around three IT Focus Areas

 

 

Join These Programs If Your Focus Is

Close

Get on the Higher Ed IT Map

Employees of EDUCAUSE member institutions and organizations are invited to create individual profiles.
 

 

Close

2014 Strategic Priorities

  • Building the Profession
  • IT as a Game Changer
  • Foundations


Learn More >

Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™

EDUCAUSE is the foremost community of higher education IT leaders and professionals.