Has anyone received this communication from Microsoft.  This is going to be a very big issue and they're not giving us a lot of time.

Stephanie Trowbridge

Academic Technology Portfolio Manager

Northeastern University

360 Huntington Ave.

Boston, MA  02115

Phone:  617.373.4581

Cell:  617.438.7108

Fax:  617.373.4354

Dear Northeastern U,

I wanted to inform you that Microsoft is rationalizing the range of offerings available to students, in order to reduce confusion in the marketplace and to focus efforts around key offers for Office and Windows® upgrade.

These changes will affect Student Select only, and relate to Microsoft® Office, Microsoft® Windows® 7 Upgrade and Expressions® Studio. All faculty offerings under Academic Select – including Microsoft Office Professional and Microsoft Windows® 7 Upgrade - will also remain unchanged. The details of the current changes are:

MicrosoftOffice:

·        Office Professional Plus 2010, and Office for Mac 2011  under Student Select will no longer be available for purchase through student select starting April 1, 2012

·        As of this date, these SKUs will not be on the price list or available to order

MicrosoftWindows® 7 Upgrade

·        The Windows® 7 Upgrade under Student Select will no longer be for purchase through student select starting April 1, 2012

·        As of this date, this SKU will not be on the price list or available to order

MicrosoftExpressions® Studio

·        Expressions® Studio under Student Select will no longer be for purchase through student select starting April 1, 2012

Microsoft is still evaluating the remaining products in student select and will send additional communications when details are available. In light of these changes there are important considerations how students can obtain licenses for Office and the Windows Upgrade in the future.

The first program to consider is an evaluation of Student Option available through our subscription licensing programs. In advance of the changes to Student Select Microsoft made it easier to provide the great benefits of Windows 7 upgrade and Office to your students by adding benefits to Student Option including:

·        New for Administrators: electronic download at no additional cost, no more managing discs!

·        New for Students: technical support included at no additional cost

·        New for Administrators: management of the Student Option program at no additional cost

Student Option is an easy way to license software for use by students on their personally owned device or institution-owned device that is assigned to an individual student. The Student Option offers these great benefits:

·        For the Administrator: Easy counting. Easy to administer with ESD (see sidebar).

·        For the Student: Upgrade rights, e-learning benefits

·        For the Student: Rights to perpetual license upon graduation

Contact your reseller to add Student Option to your exiting subscription agreement or to initiate a new subscription agreement for your school or university. It’s easy – count your students once per year and they are all covered throughout the subscription term.

If you already have Student Option, request a webstore through the EES Fulfillment Center by completing the request form at http://www.e-academy.com/StudentOption or by sending an email to studentoption@e-academy.com. An e-academy representative will contact you within 24-48 hours.

The second offering to consider for students wishing to purchase an individual copy of Office with a perpetual license will be one of the following:

Office University 2010 & Office for Mac University 2011 (Higher Education students faculty and staff only)

·        These are new verified Academic Product offerings for higher Education Students & faculty only, and will be introduced in February 2012 as a full packaged product and available for download.

·        Office University is intended for students enrolled in a higher education institution (or faculty of higher education institution)

·        Student status is verified by Microsoft using an Academic Verification Engine website.

·        The estimated retail price for Office University 2010 and Office for Mac University is $99 and these two products will replace Office Professional Academic 2010 and Office for Mac Academic 2011 SKUs.

Contact your reseller or distributor to get details on how to order Office University when it is available starting in February 2012.

Office Home & Student 2010 (K12 students)

Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student is the current offering for students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 wishing to purchase an individual perpetual license of Microsoft Office for their studies. Office Home and Student 2010 is available today at a variety of retail and online outlets including the Microsoft Store.

Microsoft continues to review existing Academic volume licensing offerings for students in advance of future product releases and changing customer needs. Please send your recommendations or feedback so they can be considered going forward. In addition please send specific questions regarding this transition in order to have them addressed in a timely manner.

If you prefer I not forward you these types of communications, just let me know. To learn how to manage your contact preferences for other parts of Microsoft, please read our Privacy Statement.

Thank you for being a valued Microsoft customer.

Rick Grady

MS Account Mgr

© 781-405-3060

Comments

There was an earlier thread on this, but it appears people are seeing different dates.  We received an earlier communication saying Select was going away after February, so I don't know what's up with that.  Perhaps they decided people need more time.  Since we don't buy Select licenses, but use a re-seller, it doesn't really affect us.  I did notice that Windows is currently being offered through their student store (which I guess will be rebranded after the change) for $65 and office for $99.

jkt

Janice K. Tulloss, PhD, ASM
Software Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
336-334-5401

Message from au8765@wayne.edu

After expressing my concerns about the abrupt changes to this program and the immediate adverse impact it will have on our support services to our students on campus to my Microsoft rep, I received this response:

"I wanted to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that I have escalated it to my management and to our  internal Student Select taskforce. At this time, we really don’t know if there is any chance that corporate will change its decision but customer feedbacks like the one you sent me is definitely going to be  taken into consideration.   In addition to that, next week I will have a chance to sit down with my peers and our licensing team and go over possible scenarios that can be applied to this situation from a licensing perspective that will not be as high in price as the Student Option."

While I don't know if our voices will be heard, I encourage anyone that is highly affected by these changes to voice concerns to your representatives as there may be a chance that more options will be offered to the Student Select community.

Mary

ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
336-334-5401

Message from mknox@austin.utexas.edu

Mary is making an excellent suggestion for those seriously  affected. Thanks Mary. And our colleagues in MS Licensing have also been seeing the comments/concerns

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary Ilene VanHevele
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:59 PM

Software Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
336-334-5401

Agreed.  UCLA has also been in contact with our Microsoft representative to share our concerns regarding these changes.

Thanks!

Tom

====================================

Thomas J. Trappler, ASM

Director, UCLA Software Licensing

Immediate Past Chair, University of California Technology Acquisition Support group

Email: trappler@oit.ucla.edu

Phone: 310-825-7516

Twitter: @ThomasTrappler

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Knox, Marg
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:17 PM

ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
336-334-5401

Message from mknox@austin.utexas.edu

I have been spot checking at UT and I think we may have been luckier than most. Our MS technical person alerted people early and some changes were done our renewal.

Regards, Marg

____________________________________________________

Margaret H. Knox                  mknox@utsystem.edu

Chief Information Officer (CIO)     (512)322-3774

The University of Texas System

CTJ 2.218 78701

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Trappler, Thomas
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:04 PM

ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
336-334-5401

Tom,

Would you have time today to discuss the changes that MS is making to the Select agreement?  The Ohio Software Licensing Consortium is discussing this change in about 10 minutes and I would like to see if you have made any progress and if you would be interested in helping put pressure on MS to retract this change.

Peggy Sander

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Trappler, Thomas
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:04 PM

ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
336-334-5401

Hi Peggy,

Unfortunately we haven’t made any progress with MS on this.  But would be happy to participate in collective efforts to work toward change.  My schedule today and tomorrow are booked, but I’m wide open Friday.  Would sometime Friday work for you?

Best wishes,

Tom

====================================

Thomas J. Trappler, ASM

Director, UCLA Software Licensing

Email: trappler@oit.ucla.edu

Phone: 310-825-7516

Twitter: @ThomasTrappler

From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Sander, Peggy
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:49 AM

Software Coordinator
ITS - Client Services
202 Forney Bldg.
UNC Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
336-334-5401

I would be very interested in hearing MS feedback on our concerns.

Stephanie Trowbridge

Academic Technology Portfolio Manager

Northeastern University

360 Huntington Ave.  MS 2 ELL

Boston, MA  02115

Phone:  617.373.4581

Cell:  617.438.7108

Fax:  617.373.4354

From: "Sander, Peggy" <sanderm@MUOHIO.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv <LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 09:49:00 -0500