Main Nav

Message from shess@wheatonma.edu

Hypothetical:
Would you (do you) share Network/Telephone closet space (with all the attendant electronic equipment housed in such a room) with non-IT owned/operated server equipment? 

If yes to above, would you also say yes:
In a scenario where those servers are co-maintained by faculty and department-employed students? 
In a space that also housed door-access and video-camera surveillance equipment?


Comments and best practices welcome


Thanks,

Steve

-- ----------------------------- Steve Hess Network Administrator Wheaton College Phone: 508-286-3404 Fax: 508-286-8270 ----------------------------- ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Comments

Message from m.carr@auckland.ac.nz

We used to. But we were primarily Faculty based, so supporting teaching and research activities prioritized such things. Physical access was normally supervised, and remote management the norm.
Our data centre was organized into a number of subnets and we had firewalls around those areas inhabited by teaching and research.

Moving into virtualization has changed the nature of this sort of hosting. We still maintain the subnets, but everyone is essentially living on the same hardware.

We require the ability for our sysadmins to be able to "get root", and the owners are supposed to plan maintenance, etc.

We charge nothing for the service as it is part of our normal workload.

A restructuring at the University level will probably see the demise of this "craft" industry approach in favour of a more formal provisioning process.

This may shock some of our academic staff, as the new service descriptions being developed by the central group have charging/costing clauses.



We are hoping to supplement this with a Virtual Computer Lab implementation (a cloud service used by a number of institutions).


Mat.
From me on my iPhone....
x60209



On 30/11/2011, at 6:07, "Steve Hess" <shess@WHEATONMA.EDU> wrote:

Hypothetical:
Would you (do you) share Network/Telephone closet space (with all the attendant electronic equipment housed in such a room) with non-IT owned/operated server equipment? 

If yes to above, would you also say yes:
In a scenario where those servers are co-maintained by faculty and department-employed students? 
In a space that also housed door-access and video-camera surveillance equipment?


Comments and best practices welcome


Thanks,

Steve

-- ----------------------------- Steve Hess Network Administrator Wheaton College Phone: 508-286-3404 Fax: 508-286-8270 ----------------------------- ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Yes, but only in rare occasions, and only if the IT equipment is fully enclosed, and there is video surveillance of IT equipment and power connections feeding our gear.
Dan Jones
sent from a phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Steve Hess" <shess@WHEATONMA.EDU>
Date: Tue, Nov 29, 2011 12:07
Subject: [NETMAN] Sharing IT closet space with non-IT department servers
To: "NETMAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <NETMAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

Hypothetical:
Would you (do you) share Network/Telephone closet space (with all the attendant electronic equipment housed in such a room) with non-IT owned/operated server equipment? 

If yes to above, would you also say yes:
In a scenario where those servers are co-maintained by faculty and department-employed students? 
In a space that also housed door-access and video-camera surveillance equipment?


Comments and best practices welcome


Thanks,

Steve

-- ----------------------------- Steve Hess Network Administrator Wheaton College Phone: 508-286-3404 Fax: 508-286-8270 ----------------------------- ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

We avoid it wherever possible. Sometimes it's the only feasible solution, so we require the non-IT department head to sign an agreement stating what they are putting there, and noting the security practices that we require.

Randy

-- Randy D. Anderson Director, Network Engineering & Technology George Mason University 4400 University Drive Fairfax, VA 22030
On 11/29/2011 11:57 AM, Steve Hess wrote:
Hypothetical:
Would you (do you) share Network/Telephone closet space (with all the attendant electronic equipment housed in such a room) with non-IT owned/operated server equipment? 

If yes to above, would you also say yes:
In a scenario where those servers are co-maintained by faculty and department-employed students? 
In a space that also housed door-access and video-camera surveillance equipment?


Comments and best practices welcome


Thanks,

Steve

-- ----------------------------- Steve Hess Network Administrator Wheaton College Phone: 508-286-3404 Fax: 508-286-8270 ----------------------------- ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.



********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

I agree with Randy, space is at a premium and sharing might be the only option.

-Scott

 

 

We have a few locations like that, mostly environmental controls though. I'm not aware of any policies, but I don't really mind if stuff is colocated. I'd like to think that most people will leave stuff that doesn't belong to them alone and if they do something adverse to the network, its on them.

Heath

On 11/29/2011 10:57 AM, Steve Hess wrote:
Hypothetical:
Would you (do you) share Network/Telephone closet space (with all the attendant electronic equipment housed in such a room) with non-IT owned/operated server equipment? 

If yes to above, would you also say yes:
In a scenario where those servers are co-maintained by faculty and department-employed students? 
In a space that also housed door-access and video-camera surveillance equipment?


Comments and best practices welcome


Thanks,

Steve

-- ----------------------------- Steve Hess Network Administrator Wheaton College Phone: 508-286-3404 Fax: 508-286-8270 ----------------------------- ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.



-- <b>Heath Barnhart, CCNA</b> Network Administrator Information Systems Services Washburn University Topeka, KS ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Electronic access control with surveillance cameras also helps with this concept of playing nice with each other. :) Tristan -- -- Tristan Rhodes Network Engineer Weber State University (801) 626-8549 >>> On 11/29/2011 at 11:20 AM, in message <4ED52284.1050800@washburn.edu>, Heath Barnhart wrote: > We have a few locations like that, mostly environmental controls though. > I'm not aware of any policies, but I don't really mind if stuff is > colocated. I'd like to think that most people will leave stuff that > doesn't belong to them alone and if they do something adverse to the > network, its on them. > > Heath > > On 11/29/2011 10:57 AM, Steve Hess wrote: >> Hypothetical: >> Would you (do you) share Network/Telephone closet space (with all the >> attendant electronic equipment housed in such a room) with non-IT >> owned/operated server equipment? >> >> If yes to above, would you also say yes: >> In a scenario where those servers are co-maintained by faculty and >> department-employed students? >> In a space that also housed door-access and video-camera surveillance >> equipment? >> >> >> Comments and best practices welcome >> >> >> Thanks, >> >> Steve >> >> -- >> ----------------------------- >> Steve Hess >> Network Administrator >> Wheaton College >> Phone: 508-286-3404 >> Fax: 508-286-8270 >> ----------------------------- >> ********** Participation and subscription information for this >> EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at >> http://www.educause.edu/groups/. >> ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
Yes, we do, with the idea being it's much better to have important systems in our data center where we can keep an eye on them (and root access) than running under a desk somewhere. We also have plenty of rack space. Specifically we have a couple of dept webservers for projects and a small beowulf cluster. They are co-maintained by faculty. We do not grant them physical access to the data center, they need to be escorted (and we do have cameras). So far it's been very easy and the server owners are perfectly fine with remote-only access.

I can see how this would be difficult to maintain at a larger scale, but as long as the numbers stay low it is working out just fine.

--Adam

Message from shess@wheatonma.edu

Thanks for the responses and insight.  It's nice to have company with others in the same boat as you, even if you still get seasick from the ride. 


Steve



Adam Nave wrote:
Yes, we do, with the idea being it's much better to have important systems in our data center where we can keep an eye on them (and root access) than running under a desk somewhere. We also have plenty of rack space. Specifically we have a couple of dept webservers for projects and a small beowulf cluster. They are co-maintained by faculty. We do not grant them physical access to the data center, they need to be escorted (and we do have cameras). So far it's been very easy and the server owners are perfectly fine with remote-only access.

I can see how this would be difficult to maintain at a larger scale, but as long as the numbers stay low it is working out just fine.

--Adam

On 11/29/2011 1:23 PM, Tristan Rhodes wrote: > Electronic access control with surveillance cameras also helps with this concept of playing nice with each other. :) > Unforunately the most problems we have had in the past have been from contractors installing said cameras.... Jeff ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
Close
Close


Connect: San Antonio
April 22–24
Register Now

Events for all Levels and Interests

Whether you're looking for a conference to attend face-to-face to connect with peers, or for an online event for team professional development, see what's upcoming.

Close

Digital Badges
Member recognition effort
Earn yours >

Career Center


Leadership and Management Programs

EDUCAUSE Institute
Project Management

 

 

Jump Start Your Career Growth

Explore EDUCAUSE professional development opportunities that match your career aspirations and desired level of time investment through our interactive online guide.

 

Close
EDUCAUSE organizes its efforts around three IT Focus Areas

 

 

Join These Programs If Your Focus Is

Close

Get on the Higher Ed IT Map

Employees of EDUCAUSE member institutions and organizations are invited to create individual profiles.
 

 

Close

2015 Strategic Priorities

  • Building the Profession
  • IT as a Game Changer
  • Foundations


Learn More >

Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™

EDUCAUSE is the foremost community of higher education IT leaders and professionals.