Thanks, Anders- we have yet to deploy 3700s, but will be within a couple of weeks. Hence the desire to get ahead of this sort of thing. I’m waiting on the latest clarification, hopefully from deep inside the BU, but there is great value in knowing where others are on the same journey.

-Lee

Comments

Just talk to Javier Contreras who wrote the 7.6MR1 beta note.  He’s da man.  :)

/Anders

Från: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] För Lee H Badman
Skickat: den 24 februari 2014 16:06
Till: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Ämne: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] SV: 7.6.100 bugs- looking for input

-Lee

Name dropper!

Lee,
I've read the support-forums thread, and am in a similar situation. I've been running 7.6.100.0 since holiday break, and based on the bugs in the thread, I'm inclined to request access to the engr. build "just in case". My network is not as large as yours (~8500 simultaneous & 25K unique devices/day) but it's hard to read something like "Broadcom chipsets may have trouble associating or may experience traffic hangs..." and not assume I have users hitting this.
I have not heard complaints, but that doesn't mean much.

My need for 7.6 (more specifically 7.5+) is features. I don't anticipate having 3700's for about another 60 days.
In conclusion, I've given you no useful information but will update if I do ever get a direction on that MR code ( I'll actually be at the EBC tomorrow, so will try to corner someone into getting a sense of severity on these 7.6 bugs).

Mike Albano

Thanks for sharing, Mike. With so much riding on the WLAN these days, I hope this sort of thing becomes less of an occurrence. It's all about perception and grasping the gravity that code issues have on customer WLANs, and it has to get better. It just has to.

Good luck with yours...

Lee H. Badman
Network Architect/Wireless TME
ITS, Syracuse University
315.443.3003

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Mike Albano <mike.albano@UNLV.EDU>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:47 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] SV: [WIRELESS-LAN] SV: [WIRELESS-LAN] SV: 7.6.100 bugs- looking for input

Lee,
I have not heard complaints, but that doesn't mean much.

Mike Albano

Message from dannyeaton@rice.edu

We upgraded to WiSM-2’s and 7.6.100.0 over Christmas break as well – and many of my students (both Windows and Apple machines) are reporting intermittent connectivity, slow browsing, and just generally “poor” wireless connectivity.  It’s not in a building with the 3702’s (only have one building with those at this point), but we do have the 3502’s in the residence dorms/colleges, and 1142’s in academic buildings.  I’m hoping this is an issue with the code, because only that changed with the upgrade to the WiSM-2’s.

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Lee H Badman
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:03 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

Good luck with yours...

Lee H. Badman
Network Architect/Wireless TME
ITS, Syracuse University
315.443.3003

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:47 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

Lee,

I have not heard complaints, but that doesn't mean much.

Mike Albano

Hi All,

Just received a message from Javier :o)

we are publishing a short 7.6MR release soon, it addresses most of the critical AP issues on 3700.

I would recommend to load this version, or 7.6.100.7 escalation, either one, it would be supported.”

Kind regards,

Gertjan Scharloo

ICT Consultant

_____

Universiteit van Amsterdam | Hogeschool van Amsterdam

ICT Services

Leeuwenburg | kamer A9.36

Weesperzijde 190 | 1097 DZ Amsterdam

T:  +31 (0)20 525 4885

www.uva.nl

uva.nl/profile/g.scharloo

Beschikbaar : Ma | Di | Wo | Do | Vr |

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jithin Kesavan
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:44 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

Hi All,

We have been advised by Cisco to not go to 7.6.100.0 code as there are issues with it (see below for bug lists provided to us). According to the TAC engineer, the issues are affecting large wireless deployments. We are awaiting response from Cisco regarding the timeframe for the next release which will have the fixes for these issues.

We have 2,250 3702APs waiting for 7.6 deployment before they can be installed. Management not happy.

We previously had client connectivity issues on 7.5.102.0 which were supposed to be fixed by going to 7.6 code.

Regards

Network Architect/Wireless TME
ITS, Syracuse University
315.443.3003

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:47 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

Lee,

I have not heard complaints, but that doesn't mean much.

Mike Albano

Thanks, Gertjan. Hopefully "most of the critical issues" becomes "all of the critical issues" or we'll be right back to this same odd juncture before too long.

-Lee B.

Lee H. Badman
Network Architect/Wireless TME
ITS, Syracuse University
315.443.3003

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Scharloo, Gertjan <G.Scharloo@UVA.NL>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:28 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

Hi All,

Just received a message from Javier :o)

Kind regards,

Network Architect/Wireless TME
ITS, Syracuse University
315.443.3003

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:47 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

Lee,

I have not heard complaints, but that doesn't mean much.

Mike Albano

Well, the 7.6.100.10 (Engineering patch) is going in on my Infrastructure in about 5 minutes.
I suspect I've witnessed the Broadcom bug. I have a packet capture, but was unable to get one from TAC so not really sure how to prove I'm hitting the bug. Disabling QoS (WMM) on a test SSID did seem to fix the issue, so in goes the patch.

I'd be willing to share if anyone else wants to see it. Other than excessive RTS/CTS (not followed by QoS Data) I didn't see anything interesting. If you yourself have a capture of this issue I'd sure be interested.

Mike Albano