Message from neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics things to request from Apple, but here is a first pass):

Whereas, we the undersigned academic and research institutions are receiving numerous requests from our faculty, staff, and students for the ability to utilize Airplay technology in classrooms, conference rooms, and other locations, hereby solemnly request that Apple provide support for Airplay technology in enterprise wireless networks.

Specifically, we request the following (in order of priority):

• That Apple establish a way for the Apple TV (and other Airplay enabled devices) to be discoverable across multiple IPv4 and IPv6 subnets or lacking that:
  • That the Apple TV support Enterprise Wireless Encryption and Authentication (WPA2-Enterprise)
  • That authentication to the Apple TV be able to utilize enterprise authentication services (LDAP and/or AD)

Failure to provide this support severely limits the usefulness (and desirability) of Apple products in our institutions.

At your earliest convenience please provide us with a roadmap for support of Airplay and related technologies in enterprise wireless environments.

E-Mail: neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

From: <Watters>, John <john.watters@UA.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:23 PM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] You knew it was coming...Airplay/Apple TV support for instructors.

Whereas, we the undersigned academic and research institutions are

receiving numerous requests from our faculty, staff, and students for the

ability to utilize Airplay technology in classrooms, conference rooms, and

other locations, here by solemnly request that Apple provide support or

Airplay technology in enterprise wireless networks.

Failure to provide this support severely limits the usefulness (and

desirability) of Apple products in our institutions.

At your earliest convenience please provide us with a roadmap for support

of Airplay and related technologies in enterprise wireless environments.

Comments

Lee H. Badman
Wireless/Network Engineer, ITS
Adjunct Instructor, iSchool
Syracuse University
315.443.3003

So, how do we now get it passed around like a petition where everyone can “sign” it?

It would be nice to do it like a standard written petition so schools could see who had signed and who had not. Hopefully, they would then contact those who had not signed and encourage them to do so.

I guess we could convert to a Word document and pass it around for schools to append a “signature” to the end. But, how does a receiver know who to pass it along to next? And, how do we retrieve it if the receiver just sits on it?

Does anyone have the time to publish it as a Web page that schools can look at to see who has signed & who has not, as well as being able to add their “signature” to the document?

-jcw

-------------------------------------
John Watters    UA: OIT  205-348-3992

Message from curtis.k.larsen@utah.edu

You should add fast-roaming to the list. No Mac or iOS device supports fast roaming with Opportunistic Key Caching. They can do PMK "Sticky", but it is not the same as OKC. With Sticky, it is only "fast" when you roam back to an AP you've been on, and the client can only cache up to 8 AP's. Curtis Larsen Wireless Network Engineer University of Utah 801-587-1313 On 07/05/2012 02:46 PM, Lee H Badman wrote: > Pretty much what I was thinking (ballpark) with all Educause schools individually signed on. May not amount to anything, but would in itself be media fodder. > > Lee H. Badman > Wireless/Network Engineer, ITS > Adjunct Instructor, iSchool > Syracuse University > 315.443.3003 > ________________________________ >
So... two thoughts. Perhaps give it another week for people to chime in with their gripes and let the list discuss them? Then perhaps digital signatures- DocuSign is free and elegant. I guess also, a courtesy inquiry to Phillipe over whether he sees this as prudent list of the group is probably in order. Say, Phillipe- do you see this as prudent use of the list? Thanks, Lee Lee H. Badman Wireless/Network Engineer, ITS Adjunct Instructor, iSchool Syracuse University 315.443.3003 ________________________________________
Message from me@mpking.com

Mike

This has worked at least once before on Apple…..

According to the petition over 250,000 signed on to the appeal for change

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike King
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 6:47 AM

Mike

I think it's a good idea to reach out to Apple, even if ignored, for two reasons, so they know it's comming, and so they know it's important and not just a group of loud mouth limes.

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] on behalf of Mike King [me@MPKING.COM]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Mike

I agree although I expect nothing will come of it.  Their stock price is far too high for them to be bothered with concern.  I wish I could be more of an optimist sometimes.

Brian

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Bruce Boardman
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: Apple Petition (Was Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] You knew it was coming...Airplay/Apple TV support for instructors.)

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Mike

Lets do both, petition that points to the FB page, that way it will be easier for Apple to circulate our concerns within apple., amaybe we get some enterprise particpation. |Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University - 315 889-1667 ________________________________________ From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] on behalf of Hanset, Philippe C [phanset@UTK.EDU] Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 10:00 AM To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Apple Petition (Was Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] You knew it was coming...Airplay/Apple TV support for instructors.) Thank you Lee. I definitely believe that it is a great use of the list...A request made by Academia and for Academia Let me add: Even as an Apple shareholder, (no conflict of interest, more of a vested interest in the matter ;-), I believe that it is way past our time to voice our opinion strongly. We cannot continue to create ugly hacks to support those enterprise non-friendly protocols. I love my Apple TV and can imagine that students and faculty feel the same. I would like to support these cool devices on campus, but how? (and without destroying my Wi-Fi!) The local Student Apple representative on our campus asked me if he could bring up an Apple Airport Extreme on campus to show the features of Airplay to students... (I almost lost it ;-). In a cense, we don't need to be too detailed in our request it could be: "Apple! help use support AirPlay on our campus networks" Just to start a dialog (and add a few specifics) Should we start with a petition, as you all suggested, and if we get no response, we try the FaceBook approach (create a group). Or immediately go the FB way? I agree with the "maturity" process of a week. Philippe Univ. of TN

Apple either does not care or they have not gotten the message.  There is no way to know for sure which is the case.  There is not a lot we can do about the former, however we can keep trying about regarding the latter.  I think the petition is a positive and creative way for us to try and reach them from another angle and collectively.  I am fairly excited about how this is coming together.  I will forward this thread to our Apple Engineer as a heads up.

John Kaftan

IT Infrastructure Manager

Utica College.

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Kellogg, Brian D.
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Message from neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

I've added a section on solution criteria:

Whereas, we the undersigned academic and research institutions are receiving numerous requests from our faculty, staff, and students for the ability to utilize Airplay technology in classrooms, conference rooms, and other locations, hereby solemnly request that Apple provide support for Airplay technology in enterprise networks.

Specifically, we request the following (in order of priority):

• That Apple establish a way for the Apple TV (and other Airplay enabled devices) to be discoverable across multiple IPv4 and IPv6 subnets, or lacking that:
  • It must scale to 100's-1000's of Airplay enabled devices.
  • It must  not significantly negatively impact network traffic (wired and wireless).

E-Mail: neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan@UTICA.EDU>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:11 AM

John Kaftan

IT Infrastructure Manager

Utica College.

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Message from neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

I tried to create a Facebook group, but it's requesting I add members to it before it is created. Any suggestions ?

-Neil

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Message from iam@st-andrews.ac.uk

It must run on a standard size rack-mountable server class piece of hardware!

I’m not big on “discovery”, I’d much rather some central registration & arbiter system through which the traffic flowed, and probably a separate “Airplay Enterprise” software implementation.

We don’t want to have to allow inter-client communications on either our wireless or wired networks.

In general though, I’d like to see it looking like it’s a deployable and manageable solution, not something that might work (if you’re lucky) in your house.

My 0.02 J

ian

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Johnson, Neil M
Sent: 06 July 2012 15:26

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Message from neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

How about:

Specifically, we request the following (in order of priority):

• That Apple establish a way for the Apple TV (and other Airplay enabled devices) to be easily accessible across multiple IPv4 and IPv6 subnets.
  • That Apple establish a way for the Apple TV (and other Airplay enabled devices) to be easily statically configured to be accessible across multiple IPv4 and IPv6 subnets.

• It must scale to 100's-1000's of Airplay enabled devices.
  • It must work with wired and wireless networks from different vendors.
  • It must not significantly negatively impact network traffic (wired and wireless).
  • It must be easily manageable at scale.
  • If it requires a separate hardware solution, the solution's hardware must be enterprise grade (rack mountable, dual power supplies, etc.)

E-Mail: neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

From: Ian McDonald <iam@ST-ANDREWS.AC.UK>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:32 AM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

It must run on a standard size rack-mountable server class piece of hardware!

My 0.02 J

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Message from neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

Okay,

I've created a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/enterpriseairplay

I've set it so members have to be approved by the admins, and only group members can post (to prevent SPAM).

I've posted the draft of the petition out there.

-Neil

E-Mail: neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

From: <Johnson>, Neil Johnson <neil-johnson@uiowa.edu>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:55 AM

How about:

• It must scale to 100's-1000's of Airplay enabled devices.
  • It must work with wired and wireless networks from different vendors.

From: Ian McDonald <iam@ST-ANDREWS.AC.UK>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:32 AM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

It must run on a standard size rack-mountable server class piece of hardware!

My 0.02 J

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Mike

For me, the key point is "enterprise networks".  When Bonjour first came to my attention, it was officially described as "An experimental protocol for small networks without DNS servers."
  Apparently, Apple's thinking is that if you use their products, your network MUST qualify.  I believe THAT is the attitude that needs to be changed.

David Gillett

From: Johnson, Neil M [neil-johnson@UIOWA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:55 AM

How about:

• It must scale to 100's-1000's of Airplay enabled devices.
  • It must work with wired and wireless networks from different vendors.

E-Mail: neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

From: Ian McDonald <iam@ST-ANDREWS.AC.UK>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:32 AM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

It must run on a standard size rack-mountable server class piece of hardware!

My 0.02 J

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Mike

Any ideas on how to get the press / media involved in a positive fashion?

Bruce Osborne

IT Network Services

(434) 592-4229

LIBERTY UNIVERSITY

Training Champions for Christ since 1971

From: Johnson, Neil M [mailto:neil-johnson@UIOWA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:10 AM

Okay,

I've created a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/enterpriseairplay

I've posted the draft of the petition out there.

-Neil

From: <Johnson>, Neil Johnson <neil-johnson@uiowa.edu>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:55 AM

How about:

• It must scale to 100's-1000's of Airplay enabled devices.
  • It must work with wired and wireless networks from different vendors.

From: Ian McDonald <iam@ST-ANDREWS.AC.UK>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:32 AM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

It must run on a standard size rack-mountable server class piece of hardware!

My 0.02 J

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Message from jcoehoorn@york.edu

That is worth mentioning: I'll be disappointed if this petition is limited to AirPlay. The real target here is Bonjour. It's required for an iOS device to use wifi to sync to iTunes. Time Capsule uses it. It is rapidly becoming the cornerstone of Apple's networking story.

In fairness, if we give Apple the benefit of the doubt on the "experimental" part of the mDNS description, then "small networks without DNS servers" perfectly describes the typical Apple deployment environment. Move beyond that, though, and the experiment has failed. Spectacularly.

Just be careful what you ask for. Apple's likely response is to release a new line of AirPort access points for enterprise that work with Bonjour and make Cisco's pricing look like D-Link.

Joel Coehoorn
IT Director
York College, Nebraska
402.363.5603
jcoehoorn@york.edu

I agree that the distinction between Airplay and the broader context of Bonjour is very important.

Brian

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Coehoorn, Joel
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:23 AM

Joel Coehoorn
IT Director
York College, Nebraska
402.363.5603
jcoehoorn@york.edu

Message from iam@st-andrews.ac.uk

Quite agree.

ian

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of David Gillett
Sent: 06 July 2012 16:09

David Gillett

From: Johnson, Neil M [neil-johnson@UIOWA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:55 AM

How about:

• It must scale to 100's-1000's of Airplay enabled devices.
  • It must work with wired and wireless networks from different vendors.

From: Ian McDonald <iam@ST-ANDREWS.AC.UK>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:32 AM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

It must run on a standard size rack-mountable server class piece of hardware!

My 0.02 J

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@listserv.educause.edu

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:25 AM

|Bruce Boardman, Network Engineer, Syracuse University -  315 889-1667

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:47 AM

Message from neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

While I understand that Bonjour is the underlying technology that is responsible for most of the limitations.  I think most "non-tech" people see Airplay as the feature that they want most supported.

-Neil

E-Mail: neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

From: <Kellogg>, "Brian D." <bkellogg@SBU.EDU>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 10:24 AM

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:23 AM

Joel Coehoorn
IT Director
York College, Nebraska
402.363.5603
jcoehoorn@york.edu

You mean Apple might actually release _enterprise_ access points? If not, another consumer access point is useful for enterprises.

Bruce Osborne

IT Network Services

(434) 592-4229

LIBERTY UNIVERSITY

Training Champions for Christ since 1971

From: Coehoorn, Joel [mailto:jcoehoorn@YORK.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:23 AM

Joel Coehoorn
IT Director
York College, Nebraska
402.363.5603
jcoehoorn@york.edu

I know we have moved on to just talking about the petition but here is a response from an Apple engineer regarding the original issue.

John,

Please don't post my name directly to the list, but any AppleCare case numbers and RADAR feature request numbers would be helpful.

As I am sure many are aware, to allow an iPad to talk to an Apple TV for AirPlay it must communicate directly,  we would use AirPlay, which uses Bonjour.  If anyone was looking for more management control over Bonjour traffic and services they absolutely could look at offerings from Aruba, Aerohive, Xirrus and even Cisco.

Looking at the currently available options (like this one), I would be happy to facilitate feature requests going forward!

John Kaftan

IT Infrastructure Manager

Utica College

315.792.3102

This makes one wonder if Apple has much enterprise experience to pull from in their ranks.  We’re well aware of the other ways of supporting this, but it is usually at added cost to the institution.  I’m grateful for other vendors who pick up Apple’s slack and can make some money doing it, but it is my hope that Apple will start to seriously address the Enterprise at some point.  Other solutions are after the fact and always catching up it seems.  I would argue a more holistic and integrated offering to the Enterprise would serve Apple far better than the current perceived patchwork third party approach.  Perhaps this is where they need to take some notes from MS and get third parties that better cater to the Enterprise intimately involved from the start.

Brian

Agreed, and the wording of the petition should also reflect that what we are seeking from Apple is a win for everyone (except perhaps Aerohive) in that network design doesn’t have to be rethought just for the Apple TV, life gets better for clients who don’t like being told their devices are best suited for the living room, and Apple can claim enterprise-friendliness which will help get them even closer to the world domination that they seek.

Message from neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

I changed the last two paragraphs to read:

Providing support for Boujour and Airplay Technologies on enterprise networks would benefit both our institutions and Apple by allowing Apple device owners the ability to use their devices as teaching and research aids, increasing the utility of and desirability of those devices.

We would be happy to collaborate with Apple in the development of enterprise support for these devices.

Comments welcome.
-Neil

E-Mail: neil-johnson@uiowa.edu

To be fair though, we do need to factor in the limited resources Apple has at its disposal.

I mean it’s not like they have a pile of money laying around that they can use to just hire some enterprise skills:

We should just be grateful for the privilege of using their products, and be willing to chip in and help compensate for whatever shortcomings in enterprise functionality they may have by purchasing third party products, and investing in as many person hours that it takes in help desk, network engineering and project management skills.

Pete M.

Message from bjohnson5@partners.org

Thanks Curtis, missed the earlier amendment. Thanks, Bruce T. Johnson | Network Engineer | Partners Healthcare 617.726.9662 | Pager: 31633 | bjohnson5@partners.org 149 13th Street, 10th Floor, Mailstop 10055B, Charlestown, Ma 02129