Both ScreenFlow (Mac-only) and Camtasia (Mac/Win) support subtitling.  Both are excellent screencast applications but I prefer ScreenFlow because it creates MPEG-4 files whereas Camtasia requires Flash for subtitles and that pretty much rules out mobile.

If these screencastsare made with some other, less expensive apps, I suggest using free, open source apps.  There are many but I prefer Jubler for creating subtitles and Subler for installing them in MPEG-4 files. These are Mac apps.

I've recently come across CapScribe which is free to education and plan to look it over carefully.  It looks very promising: http://www.inclusivemedia.ca/services/capscribe.shtml This is also Mac-only.

Comments

Youtube supports captioning as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Frank Lowney" <frank.lowney@GCSU.EDU>
Sent: 5/10/2013 2:42 PM
To: "BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [BLEND-ONLINE] Subtitling Screencasts

… Yes – provided you own the content. I which case, you need to use Amara: http://www.amara.org/en/

But check that your LMS allows Amara's form of embed code before you commit to it. We are on Moodle 2.3 and it appears that Moodle rejects the code as malware. We're still working on it. It works in WordPress, so at least we have some level of confirmation that the system works.

- Steve

Steve Covello
Rich Media Specialist/Online Instructor
Granite State College
603-513-1346
Skype: steve.granitestate

From: "mitch.weisburgh@academicbiz.com" <mitch.weisburgh@academicbiz.com>
Organization: ABA
Reply-To: "mitch.weisburgh@academicbiz.com" <mitch.weisburgh@academicbiz.com>
Date: Friday, May 10, 2013 2:46 PM
To: "BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [BLEND-ONLINE] Subtitling Screencasts

Youtube supports captioning as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Frank Lowney" <frank.lowney@GCSU.EDU>
Sent: 5/10/2013 2:42 PM
To: "BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [BLEND-ONLINE] Subtitling Screencasts

Camtasia captioning is burn-in, as far as I know (at least in Mac 2). So I don't think Flash is an aspect of it unless that is the format you are exporting it as.

- Steve

Steve Covello
Rich Media Specialist/Online Instructor
Granite State College
603-513-1346
Skype: steve.granitestate

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney@GCSU.EDU>
Reply-To: The EDUCAUSE Blended and Online Learning Constituent Group Listserv <BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Friday, May 10, 2013 2:42 PM
To: "BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [BLEND-ONLINE] Subtitling Screencasts

Are we talking Camtasia Studio or Relay?

Relay no longer publishes to Flash – it was replaced with MP4 and a “Smart Player” - and the subtitling is stored in an XML file that is dynamically read by the Smart Player.

I can confirm that Studio burns the captions into an MP4, as Steve points out.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Anderson

Instructional Technologist

203.582.3792 | jjanderson@quinnipiac.edu

From: The EDUCAUSE Blended and Online Learning Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:BLEND-ONLINE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Covello, Steve
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 2:52 PM