A question has been raised as to whether we should continue this group (and have it be a separate group) or whether this group should be folded into the larger online learning group? My colleague, Stephen D. Franklin, and I have been asked to co-facilitate this group if there is an interest in continuing it. So, please let us know your thoughts. If we were to co-facilitate this group, we would see us having topical discussions and share information amongst the group, but we'd like your input on this as well. That is, what would you like to see this group do? What do you want to get out of this group? Thanks, Caitlin Caitlin A. Frano Director of Distance Education Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies 210 South Clark Street, 16th Floor Chicago, Illinois Phone: 312-503-2839 c-frano@northwestern.edu Twitter: @CaitlinFrano Fax: 312-503-3843 teleconference 1-866-502-8312 . participant code: 117219 ********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Comments

That's a great question Caitlin, I think there are a couple tracks this group could go. One is the online learning direction that you mentioned... another is an open education direction that would involve not only open courses but also open educational resources. Which 'o' should it be? :) Thoughts everyone? Cheers, Tom Thomas A Evans Senior Instructional Designer, Open Courses Coordinator The Ohio State University Office of Distance Education and eLearning Digital Scholarship 614.688.1135 | evans.1517@osu.edu | @taevans Learn more about our Impact Grants: go.osu.edu/grants Get involved in a MOOC today: go.osu.edu/MOOC ________________________________________
Great thoughts. My concern with folding into the open education would be that the term "open" when it comes to MOOCs has not been so narrowly defined as it has been with open educational resources. We could also stay a separate group as well. Thoughts?
I prefer this as a separate topic for now.  I thinks there are unique challenges and concerns with MOOCs.  I recommend we keep this listserv alive.  If certain posts are appropriate for another listserv then cross-post to that listserv.

- Mac -
Sent from my mobile device

Caitlin Frano <c-frano@NORTHWESTERN.EDU> wrote:

My colleague, Stephen D. Franklin, and I have been asked to co-facilitate this group if there is an interest in continuing it.  So, please let us know your thoughts.  If we were to co-facilitate this group, we would see us having topical discussions and share information amongst the group, but we'd like your input on this as well.  That is, what would you like to see this group do?  What do you want to get out of this group?

Caitlin

Caitlin A. Frano
Director of Distance Education
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies
210 South Clark Street, 16th Floor Chicago, Illinois

Phone: 312-503-2839
c-frano@northwestern.edu
Twitter: @CaitlinFrano
Fax: 312-503-3843
teleconference 1-866-502-8312 . participant code: 117219

**********

Keith,

Thank you for the input.  What types of information or conversations would you like to see in this group?

Caitlin

I don't regularly contribute but I do follow the discussion, all of which is helpful.
s
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan Gedutis Lindsay
Associate Director, Instructional Design
Berklee College of Music
slindsay@berklee.edu
617-747-8293

I’m not sure how many people are in the group but it might be helpful to hold occasional virtual meetings where we invite a “guest” speaker and have a live discussion centered around a specific topic. This would allow us to share and discuss our experiences and learn from each other.

Patrice

Patrice Torcivia Prusko, MBA, PhD

Instructional Designer

Educational Technology Consultant

Cornell University

215 Computing and Communications Center

Ithaca, NY  14853

Pat68@cornell.edu

From: The EDUCAUSE Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:MOOCS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Susan Lindsay
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:45 AM

s

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan Gedutis Lindsay
Associate Director, Instructional Design

Berklee College of Music
slindsay@berklee.edu
617-747-8293

Message from jdp53@case.edu

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

Me too!  And, it is easy enough to do!

From: The EDUCAUSE Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:MOOCS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jim Petras
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

I have not contributed much either, but I read everything that comes through. I read about two dozen educational technology focused blogs/listserv/feeds a day, and MOOCs are discussed ad infinitum. Though I can’t put my finger on it exactly, there’s something different (pleasing) about the MOOC “conversation” here that I would hate to see go away.  I like that this group feels small and doesn’t feel rushed or fraught with to-MOOC or not-to-MOOC angst.

I like Patrice’s idea about live guest speakers. I like it because it’s unexpected and personal. One thing I find missing from the larger MOOC conversations is the notion of “work-shopping” an idea. There’s an abundance of commentary about MOOCs, but you see very little people  “using intensive group discussion and improvisation in order to explore aspects of the production before formal staging” (New Oxford American Dictionary 2012). I come from a performance background, so “work shopping” not only artistic, but academic/instructional ideas, has always appealed to me. Perhaps we can find a way to incorporate the activity in this group. Maybe we can help someone breathe new life into a MOOC project they’re fiddling with.

Just a thought.

Corey Davis

Director of Online Learning

Our Lady of the Lake University

411 S.W. 24th St.

San Antonio, TX 78207

t (210) 431-3915

f (210) 431-3945

www.ollusa.edu

www.onlineprograms.ollusa.edu

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

I completely ditto the thoughts of Corey and Patrice!

Laureen P. Cantwell, MSLIS, MPHc

Instructional Services Librarian

119 Ned R. McWherter Library

University of Memphis

Memphis, TN 38152

(p) 901.678.8209

(e) lcntwell@memphis.edu

www.memphis.edu/libraries

(Follow the University Libraries on Twitter.)

(Connect with me on LinkedIn.)

From: The EDUCAUSE Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:MOOCS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Davis, Corey
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:01 AM

Just a thought.

Corey Davis

Director of Online Learning

Our Lady of the Lake University

411 S.W. 24th St.

San Antonio, TX 78207

t (210) 431-3915

f (210) 431-3945

www.ollusa.edu

www.onlineprograms.ollusa.edu

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

I've been a "read mostly" member of this group because I get a lot of MOOC news elsewhere. That said, I do like the conversations that happen here, and since MOOCs are experimental, I would say keep this group intact.  I think the discussion might get lost in the online learning group.

Just my 2c :)

Hi,

I’ve also been reading although not participating and support the ideas mentioned below.

Laura

Laura R. Winer, Ph.D.

Interim Director, Teaching & Learning Services, McGill University | Directrice par intérim, Service de soutien pédagogique, Université McGill

3415 McTavish St., MS-12, Montréal, Qc H3A 0C8

514-398-4232 | www.mcgill.ca/tls

From: The EDUCAUSE Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:MOOCS@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Laureen Cantwell (lcntwell)
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

I completely ditto the thoughts of Corey and Patrice!

Laureen P. Cantwell, MSLIS, MPHc

Instructional Services Librarian

119 Ned R. McWherter Library

University of Memphis

Memphis, TN 38152

(p) 901.678.8209

(e) lcntwell@memphis.edu

www.memphis.edu/libraries

(Follow the University Libraries on Twitter.)

(Connect with me on LinkedIn.)

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:01 AM

Just a thought.

Corey Davis

Director of Online Learning

Our Lady of the Lake University

411 S.W. 24th St.

San Antonio, TX 78207

t (210) 431-3915

f (210) 431-3945

www.ollusa.edu

www.onlineprograms.ollusa.edu

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

Susan Gedutis Lindsay
Associate Director, Instructional Design

Berklee College of Music
slindsay@berklee.edu
617-747-8293

Message from jdp53@case.edu

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

Me too!  And, it is easy enough to do!

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

Just a thought.

Corey Davis

Director of Online Learning

Our Lady of the Lake University

411 S.W. 24th St.

San Antonio, TX 78207

t (210) 431-3915

f (210) 431-3945

www.ollusa.edu

www.onlineprograms.ollusa.edu

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

I completely ditto the thoughts of Corey and Patrice!

Laureen P. Cantwell, MSLIS, MPHc

Instructional Services Librarian

119 Ned R. McWherter Library

University of Memphis

Memphis, TN 38152

(p) 901.678.8209

(e) lcntwell@memphis.edu

www.memphis.edu/libraries

(Follow the University Libraries on Twitter.)

(Connect with me on LinkedIn.)

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:01 AM

Just a thought.

Corey Davis

Director of Online Learning

Our Lady of the Lake University

411 S.W. 24th St.

San Antonio, TX 78207

t (210) 431-3915

f (210) 431-3945

www.ollusa.edu

www.onlineprograms.ollusa.edu

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim

Just my 2c :)

Hi,

Laura

Laura R. Winer, Ph.D.

3415 McTavish St., MS-12, Montréal, Qc H3A 0C8

514-398-4232 | www.mcgill.ca/tls

Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

I completely ditto the thoughts of Corey and Patrice!

Laureen P. Cantwell, MSLIS, MPHc

Instructional Services Librarian

119 Ned R. McWherter Library

University of Memphis

Memphis, TN 38152

(p) 901.678.8209

(e) lcntwell@memphis.edu

www.memphis.edu/libraries

(Follow the University Libraries on Twitter.)

(Connect with me on LinkedIn.)

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:01 AM

Just a thought.

Corey Davis

Director of Online Learning

Our Lady of the Lake University

411 S.W. 24th St.

San Antonio, TX 78207

t (210) 431-3915

f (210) 431-3945

www.ollusa.edu

www.onlineprograms.ollusa.edu

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MOOCS] Continuing this Group?

Patrice, I love your idea of having guest speakers and live discussions!

Jim