Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
ELI Short Course: Supporting Faculty in Developing Online Course Proficiencies
June 5, June 11, and June 17, 2014
1:00–2:30 p.m. ET on each date
Supporting Faculty in Developing Online Course Proficiencies
Online courses are now an integral part of most institutions' options for students to complete academic requirements. In this short course, we examined four areas directly aligned with online teaching proficiency: readiness for teaching online, online course competencies, stages of adoption, and models of supporting faculty development. Participants shared institutional challenges and strategies that have been used to overcome these issues.
NOTE: Participants were asked to complete assignments in between the course segments that support the learning objectives stated below and received feedback and constructive critique from the course facilitator on how to improve and shape their work.
During this ELI Short Course, participants:
- Analyzed and selected online teaching competencies that most closely meet institutional needs.
- Comprehended the complexity of identifying online teaching readiness.
- Determined needs among faculty at different levels of competence.
- Articulated a plan for supporting faculty as they acquire competencies.
- Selected a model to support development of faculty skills.