Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Podcast: Ganesan Ravishanker on the Democracy and Pitfalls of Data Analytics
July 12, 2012
Ganesan Ravishanker is Chief Information Officer at Wellesley College. In this conversation he shares his cautious insights into the challenges and benefits of analytics. …
- Podcast: It Takes a Team, or Does It?
June 14, 2011
The new reality for higher education IT is one of constant change and increased complexity on a base of shrinking resources . Such a context, however, provides a perfect opportunity …
- CNI Podcast: Creating a Comprehensive Technology Model for a Converged Library, Art Museum, and University Press
May 5, 2011
After three years of construction, the Taylor Family Digital Library (TFDL) is nearing completion. The 265,000 sq. ft building at the heart of the University of Calgary central campus is the …
- Session Podcast: A Condensed Strategic Planning Process
March 29, 2010
Strategic planning is frequently associated with glazed eyes and endless meetings. Can the process be condensed into a few short hours and still produce an effective, flexible document? This pres…
- E07 Podcast: The 2007 Campus Computing Survey
November 27, 2007
This 36-minute podcast recorded during the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference features Kenneth C. Green , Founding Director, The Campus Computing Project speaking on " The 2007 Campus Compu…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Multicampus Planning to Enhance Teaching
February 25, 2007
In this 44-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from David Gray, Robert Green, and Mark Schlesinger in a session entitled Multicampus Planning to Enhance T…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: The New Imperative in IT
February 23, 2007
In this 45-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Michael Zastrocky in a session entitled The New Imperative for IT: Strategy, Management, and Instituti…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Start With an Information Security Plan
February 16, 2007
In this 32-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Tammy Clark and William Monahan in a session entitled Start With a Great Information Security Plan! …