Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- CIOs and Campus IT: Summer Technology Projects, by Theresa Rowe
August 6, 2014
Theresa Rowe is CIO at Oakland University. Summer is a busy and exciting time for advancement of new tech initiatives and tech renewal projects. Campus CIOs generally expect to handle …
- A "Plug-in" Approach to Information and Technology Services Strategy
June 1, 2011
The University Technology Council at Framingham State began developing new recommendations and proposed initiatives for updates to the University’s strategic plan in 2010. The resulting 5 …
- University of Victoria Strategic Plan and Governance Structure
January 25, 2011
This University of Victoria site includes information and access to the University Systems Strategic Plan and their systems governance structure. …
- Session Podcast: A Condensed Strategic Planning Process
March 29, 2010
Strategic planning is frequently associated with glazed eyes and endless meetings. Can the process be condensed into a few short hours and still produce an effective, flexible document? This pres…
- A Report on the EDUCAUSE Information Technology Governance Summit
November 14, 2007
In a continuation of the EDUCAUSE initiative to host forums for discussion of issues of importance to higher education, the Information Technology Governance (ITG) Summit was held September 10–…
- Higher Education TechQual
January 1, 2006
The Higher Education TechQual+ instrument is being developed by a group of higher education institutions to gather systematic feedback from its community of end users so as to provide objective dat…
- Miami University Information Technology Tactical Plan
March 29, 2009
This is the Information Technology Tactical Plan for Miami University. This project was Miami University's resulted in the approval of Miami's first IT strategic plan. The project invol…
- Strategic Planning: Whatâ€™s So Strategic About It?
January 1, 2005
Viewpoint Strategic Planning: What’s So Strategic About It? The strategic aspect of planning implies a structured process, creative thinking, teamwork, and flexibility—plus one very imp…
- When Shared Vision Meets Business Planning: Successful Strategic Planning Means Alignment, Opportunity, and Collaboration
January 1, 2003
The NLII is exploring how to align action, including policy, budget, project selection and assessment, with strategic plans. To achieve institutional goals, the phrase "transform teaching and …
- Transformation Through Collaboration
January 1, 2003
This presentation will describe strategic planning processes and the resulting transformational outcomes at the system and campus levels. In 1999 the University of North Carolina developed an infor…