Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2007 Summary Report
October 8, 2008
EDUCAUSE Core Data Service Fiscal Year 2007 Summary Report summarizes much of the data collected through the 2007 EDUCAUSE core data survey about campus information technology (IT) en…
- Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service
February 13, 2008
Research in Brief Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service Â© 2008 Brian L. Hawkins and Julia A. Rudy. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons A…
- Five Quick Tips for Integrated ID Management
July 9, 2007
The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. …
- CHEMA Looks at the Future of Higher Education, 2006
January 30, 2006
This survey instrument is part of a project sponsored by CHEMA to look at the future of higher education from the perspective of its members. The project will examine how the executives who lead …
- Current IT Issues: 2004
January 1, 2004
© 2004 Donald Z. Spicer and Peter B. DeBlois EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 39, no. 3 (May/June 2004): 12–26. Donald Z. Spicer is Chair of the 2004 EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee and CIO f…
- E07 Podcast: The 2007 Campus Computing Survey
November 27, 2007
This 36-minute podcast recorded during the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference features Kenneth C. Green , Founding Director, The Campus Computing Project speaking on " The 2007 Campus Compu…
- Writing an Information Security and Privacy Program
October 31, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference
Developing and writing an institution's philosophies, values, and approach to safeguarding information and information technology can be a daunting task. This session will describe the approac…
- Incident Handling: Event Correlation, Response, Reporting, and Planning
April 12, 2006
A session at the Security 2006
This session will describe the centralized system for event correlation and automated incident response (CECR) used by York University. There will also be a section on the use of incident reporting…