Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- IT Infrastructure Projects: A Framework for Analysis
July 15, 2014
Just as maintaining a healthy infrastructure of water delivery and roads is essential to the functioning of cities and towns, maintaining a healthy infrastructure of information technology is ess…
- Podcast: Ganesan Ravishanker on the Democracy and Pitfalls of Data Analytics
July 12, 2012
Ganesan Ravishanker is Chief Information Officer at Wellesley College. In this conversation he shares his cautious insights into the challenges and benefits of analytics. …
- ASU Decision Theater
March 26, 2009
By Angelo Fernando and Ricardo Leon The Decision Theater makes the classroom and learning experience portable by providing an immersive, collaborative, and interactive decision lab. …
- Building a Shared Database of Products Used at the ACI Schools of Illinois
March 19, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
We all face similar issues and challenges at our schools, and they don't have to be technology-based. From admissions to catalogs, we all apply the same practices and procedures. Wouldn't…
- Green Planning on a Grand Scale
March 4, 2008
Los Angeles Community College District, in the midst of a construction boom, makes a push for renewable energy. Los Angeles Community College D…
- Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service
February 13, 2008
Research in Brief Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service Â© 2008 Brian L. Hawkins and Julia A. Rudy. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons A…
- A Model of American Higher Education in the Middle East
July 30, 2007
Good Ideas A Model of American Higher Education in the Middle East The American University of Kuwait relies on its technology infrastructure to support and deliver the American model of hig…
- IT and the Changing Face of Research in Higher Education
January 31, 2006
This research bulletin provides policymakers with an introduction to the evolving national cyberinfrastructure, discusses the role that new networking and enabling technologies play in integratin…
- Information Technology and Campus Facility Planning
May 10, 2005
Based on principles relating to the impact of technology on building design and construction, this research bulletin describes how the University System of Georgia developed and implemented state…
- Web Portal Development With uPortal Or .Net: Platforms and Processes for Limited Budgets
January 1, 2003
Illinois State University's iCampus and Capella University's iGuide offer two different solutions to building a Web-based campus portal for student support. Attendees will leave this sess…