Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2007 Summary Report
October 8, 2008
EDUCAUSE Core Data Service Fiscal Year 2007 Summary Report summarizes much of the data collected through the 2007 EDUCAUSE core data survey about campus information technology (IT) en…
- A Report on the EDUCAUSE Information Technology Governance Summit
November 14, 2007
In a continuation of the EDUCAUSE initiative to host forums for discussion of issues of importance to higher education, the Information Technology Governance (ITG) Summit was held September 10–…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service: Fiscal Year 2005 Summary Report
January 1, 2006
EDUCAUSE Core Data Service Fiscal Year 2005 Summary Report summarizes much of the data collected through the 2005 EDUCAUSE core data survey about campus information technology (IT) en…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service: Fiscal Year 2004 Summary Report
January 1, 2005
EDUCAUSE Core Data Service Fiscal Year 2004 Summary Report summarizes much of the data collected through the 2004 EDUCAUSE core data survey about campus information technology (IT) en…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2003 Summary Report
January 1, 2004
EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2003 Summary Report summarizes much of the data collected through the 2003 EDUCAUSE core data survey about campus information technology (IT) environments a…