Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- IT Infrastructure Projects: A Framework for Analysis
July 15, 2014
Just as maintaining a healthy infrastructure of water delivery and roads is essential to the functioning of cities and towns, maintaining a healthy infrastructure of information technology is ess…
- Five Questions for CIOs
January 27, 2014
Eric Denna is the CIO for the University of Utah and the Utah System of Higher Education. With this issue of EDUCAUSE Review, he begins a one-year term as Editor of the Viewpoints dep…
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution
June 30, 2013
The director of IT risk management at the University of Oxford and the associate CIO at Princeton University used the EDUCAUSE Top Ten IT Issues as a guide to inform risk management practices …
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 46, Number 3, May/June 2011
May 31, 2011
EDUCAUSE Review Volume 46, Number 3 May/June 2011 Why IT Matters to Higher Education document.write(" "); …
- Making IT Governance Work
October 5, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin details the strategic approach to IT governance currently in practice at Nottingham Trent University in the UK. With applicability to higher education institutions gl…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Analytics
April 7, 2010
Analytics tools provide statistical evaluation of rich data sources to discern patterns that can help individuals at companies, educational institutions, or governments make more informed decisio…
- Formalizing Enterprise IT Project Management
March 9, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin discusses how formal enterprise IT project management can be applied to IT projects when the scope, cost, and external controls put them into a different league from …
- Learning Spaces as a Strategic Priority
March 26, 2009
By Gene George, Tom Erwin, and Briony Barnes A focused learning spaces design team can establish guidelines and implementation plans for learning spaces that promote student success. …
- ASU Decision Theater
March 26, 2009
By Angelo Fernando and Ricardo Leon The Decision Theater makes the classroom and learning experience portable by providing an immersive, collaborative, and interactive decision lab. …
March 20, 2009
Â© 2009 Malcolm Brown EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 44, no. 2 (March/April 2009): 16-25 Inversions Malcolm Brown Malcolm Brown is Director of Academic Computing at Dartmouth College.…