Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Seminar 04F - Project Management Conference within a Conference (separate registration required)
October 15, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Project management is not a new topic in the public sectors but may be new to many in higher education. This daylong seminar will focus on different aspects of project management and how the discip…
- What to Do While Your Building or Renovation Project Is On Hold
June 29, 2009
Many campuses will be postponing or curtailing new building projects and renovations due to the current economic climate, but the pressing need for newly configured, technology-enabled spaces has…
- "This Place is Awesome!": Program, Service, and Staff Planning for the Center for Science and Social Science Information
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
This session will address how new services, staffing models, and a renovated space were created to support today's interdisciplinary and technology-dependent scholarship. The Yale Science Libr…
- Building a Shared Database of Products Used at the ACI Schools of Illinois
March 19, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
We all face similar issues and challenges at our schools, and they don't have to be technology-based. From admissions to catalogs, we all apply the same practices and procedures. Wouldn't…
- Aligning IT with Institutional Strategy: Learning to Think in a New Language
March 19, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
Aligning technology with institutional strategy is about technologists learning to think and act in the language of the institution's success. That means they need to understand how to measure…
- Using an ERP Upgrade to Advance IT Best Practices
February 13, 2013
A session at the West/Southwest Regional Conference
Problem #1: You need to upgrade a major system. We'll present ideas on how you can reap additional benefits from this effort and can gain more than just the upgraded system. Problem #2: You …
- Knowledge Sharing: Some Myths and Ideas, and a Little IT
April 11, 2008
Today in many circles the mention of knowledge management conjures up fears of complex IT systems (often equated with failure) or a new initiative (often associated with vague requirements). How …
- Leading the IT Workforce
December 6, 2007
Presentation at the Sixth Annual ECAR Symposium, December 5-7, 2007, in Boca Raton, Florida. What are the essential skills for an IT leader? How do rising IT leaders perceive the CIO role, and ar…
- Transforming Learning for the 21st Century: An Economic Imperative
January 1, 2006
To succeed in a "flat," global, knowledge-based economy, graduates of higher education institutions must have literacy in science and mathematics, creativity, fluency in information and…
- Bridging the GAP: Unified Approaches to Governance, Architecture, and Procurement
December 8, 2005
Presentation at the December 2005 ECAR Symposium in Carefree, Arizona. This presentation identifies a set of principles covering information technology governance, architecture, and procurement (…