Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Developing the Higher Ed IT Professional
February 17, 2015
In this conversation with Jennifer Sparrow, Furman Univeristy CIO Fred Miller talks about the specific skills needed in higher education IT, including mastery of the technical and an understandin…
- The Trifecta Effect
January 28, 2015
What happens when a well-developed strategic plan, a KISS governance model, and a formal project management methodology converge? The Trifecta Effect! Learn how to align your planning process fro…
- Administrative IT Strategy at the University of California, San Diego
August 18, 2014
This podcast features an interview with Chief Enterprise Technology Officer for the University of California, San Diego, Min Yao. In this conversation with Beth Warner, he lays out the current a…
- Steven Mintz: Three Radical Innovations by 2015
July 23, 2014
In this interview, Steven Mintz mentions three innovations that he believes will transform modern higher education. ero-mintz.mp3 …
- Interview: Yves Paul Epelboin, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie
April 16, 2014
Yves Paul Epelboin is special advisor to the President for MOOC at Universite Pierre et Marie Curie. In this interview he discusses their approach to MOOCs and higher education in France. …
- Interview: Matthew Burfeind, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
February 21, 2014
Matthew Burfeind is interim CIO for the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. In this interview he talks about the challenges of collaboration, enterprise computing, and his role as interim …
- Interview: Barron Koralesky, EDUCAUSE Award Winner
January 24, 2014
Jennifer Sparrow interviews fellow EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award winner, Barron Koralesky. Koralesky is associate director of information technology services at Macalester College. …
- CNI Podcast: Data Federation of University Research
January 2, 2014
This podcast features a conversation with Assistant Dean for Innovation and Strategy at the University of Kansas, Deborah Ludwig. In this interview, Ludwig updates us on the D4 project. D4 (Da…
- Podcast: Brown University Libraries Supporting Digital Scholarship
December 31, 2013
This podcast features a conversation with Joukowsky Family University Librarian at Brown University, Harriette Hemmasi. In this interview she discusses the Brown University Library Digital Schola…
- But Is It Quality?
November 21, 2013
This podcast features session audio from the EDUCAUSE 2013 Annual Conference. The speaker is Judith S. Eaton, president of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. It is both an excit…