Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (56)
- Blogs (20)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (313)
- Books and Monographs (3)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (4)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (3)
- Presentations and Seminars (320)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (8)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (1)
- Web Sites (1)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2014 Almanacs
February 18, 2015
These two-page, easy-to-scan summaries distill CDS data in a variety of categories that include IT Financing, IT Staffing, Support Services, and many other service areas. All Non-Speciali…
- 2015 Horizon Report
February 11, 2015
Produced by ELI and NMC each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to…
- Best Practices for IT Disaster Recovery: Reducing Risks On-Site and in the Cloud
January 27, 2015
Technology advancements are transforming IT DR and ITSCM practices. Leveraging people, processes and technology best practices is critical to success, whether recovering on-premises or in a cloud…
- Technology-Driven Service Learning: The Instructor's Role and the Student's Experience
February 9, 2015
Key Takeaways To enhance student interactions with community organizations in a service-learning course, Ohio State University's Sociology Department introduced mobile t…
- Technology & Change: Perspectives on the Role of Faculty
January 27, 2015
By: Holly Morris I just got new glasses. It’s amazing what I can see now that I couldn’t see before. I begin here because I am going to advocate that all of higher ed get some…
- Top 10 IT Issues, 2015: Inflection Point
January 12, 2015
EDUCAUSE presents the top 10 IT issues facing higher education institutions this year. What is new about 2015? Nothing has changed. And everything has changed. Information technology has reach…
- Postsecondary Trending Now: Integrated Planning and Advising Services
December 16, 2014
Everyone in an institution of higher education—senior administrators, faculty members, staff in student services and in information technology—is a stakeholder in the success that its student…
- Cloud Strategy for Higher Education: Building a Common Solution
November 5, 2014
Higher education IT is in the midst of an exciting transformation. The economies of scale, resiliency, flexibility, and agility provided by cloud computing are rendering the construction and ma…
- Study of Students and Information Technology, 2014
October 30, 2014
For the 2014 student techology use study, ECAR also collaborated with 213 institutions to collect responses from 75,306 undergraduate students about their technology experiences. Key F…
- 4 Steps to Help Make Informed Technology Decisions
November 19, 2014
By Jonathan Blake Huer, Director of Emerging Technologies and Media Development, Ball State Universit y Making technology decisions by yourself is incredibly difficult…especially to…