Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (56)
- Blogs (18)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (307)
- Books and Monographs (3)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (4)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (3)
- Presentations and Seminars (309)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (8)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (1)
- Web Sites (1)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Cloud Strategy for Higher Education: Building a Common Solution
November 5, 2014
Higher education IT is in the midst of an exciting transformation. The economies of scale, resiliency, flexibility, and agility provided by cloud computing are rendering the construction and ma…
- 4 Steps to Help Make Informed Technology Decisions
November 19, 2014
By Jonathan Blake Huer, Director of Emerging Technologies and Media Development, Ball State Universit y Making technology decisions by yourself is incredibly difficult…especially to…
- Study of Students and Information Technology, 2014
October 30, 2014
For the 2014 student techology use study, ECAR also collaborated with 213 institutions to collect responses from 75,306 undergraduate students about their technology experiences. Key F…
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service
October 27, 2014
Key Takeaways Findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based ac…
- Resources for Presidents and Senior Executives: Administrative Systems and Services
September 15, 2014
These executive briefs are designed to help institutional leaders optimize the impact of IT in higher education. The Foundations offer a framework for considering higher education’s mo…
- Big Data in the Campus Landscape
September 12, 2014
This paper is a publication of the ECAR Campus Cyberinfrastructure (ECAR-CCI) Working Group. The topic of big data continues to receive a great deal of publicity because of its promise for openin…
- Adapting the Established SIS to Meet Higher Education’s Increasingly Dynamic Needs
September 17, 2014
This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service to better understand how higher education institutions approach student information systems (SISs) . Information provided for…
- New Year, New Challenges: Preparing Your Campus for Data Privacy and Security Issues in the Year Ahead
December 19, 2013
As technology continues to evolve, so do the data privacy and security risks facing colleges and universities. New products and programs have made it easier to teach, gather, and share informat…
- Researchers Go Global: Preparing the Next Generation of Innovators
October 27, 2014
Big data and cloud infrastructures are changing the research landscape across higher education, making collaborations among disciplines globally not only possible but highly desirable to facul…
- Creating a Fluid Learning Environment
October 13, 2014
Key Takeaways By 2025, mobile natives — students born after the Apple iPhone went to market — will be entering higher education , bringing with them an era of mobile l…