Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (56)
- Blogs (16)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (295)
- Books and Monographs (3)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (4)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (3)
- Presentations and Seminars (306)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (8)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (1)
- Web Sites (1)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Horizon Report: 2014 Library Edition
August 14, 2014
The NMC Horizon Report > 2014 Library Edition identifies “Increasing Focus on Research Data Management for Publications” and “Prioritization of Mobile Content and Delivery” as fast…
- Questions of Data Ownership on Campus
August 25, 2014
Valid arguments exist for students to control data about themselves, and similarly plausible arguments suggest that the institution can claim ownership. This article explores both perspectives…
- IT Security Questionnaire/IT Standards and Requirements Questionnaire
July 14, 2014
The University of Missouri IT Standards and Requirements Questionnaire (ITSRQ), currently in draft form, is predominantly focused on SaaS solutions although it can be readily adapted for other pu…
- Why You Should Champion Your Service Desk
August 11, 2014
UCISA, in association with Cherwell Software and the Service Desk Institute, surveyed U.K. higher education IT service desks to better understand their issues and challenges and showcase their…
- Research Data Storage: A Framework for Success
July 15, 2014
The ECAR Data Management Working Group (ECAR-DM) has created a framework for research data storage as an aid for higher education institutions establishing and evaluating their institution’s …
- IT Infrastructure Projects: A Framework for Analysis
July 15, 2014
Just as maintaining a healthy infrastructure of water delivery and roads is essential to the functioning of cities and towns, maintaining a healthy infrastructure of information technology is ess…
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies
August 18, 2014
EDUCAUSE Technology Research in the Academic Community This research can catalyze conversations among IT professionals about how to better serve their constituents; among institutional leaders…
- What will be the next wave of classroom technology?
July 14, 2014
By Jonathan Blake Huer, Director of Emerging Technologies, Ball State University At orientation this past week, I was talking with an incoming freshman and her family about an app we’r…
- HawkLearn: A Small College Reaches for the Clouds
July 28, 2014
Key Takeaways Tasked with developing a learning management system road map to satisfy Generation Y's teamwork and collaboration characteristics, Saint Anselm College's …
- Advancing Without New Resources
July 14, 2014
The expectations for IT services in higher education will not lessen, and the rate of change will not decelerate. How can the IT organization address these demands without new resources? By ma…