Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (57)
- Blogs (24)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (330)
- Books and Monographs (3)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (4)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (3)
- Presentations and Seminars (328)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (8)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (1)
- Web Sites (1)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Research Computing in the Cloud: Functional Considerations for Research
July 14, 2015
Transitioning to use of cloud services is becoming commonplace in higher education, but this trend has not been fully tested for research computing . Research computing involves unique needs a…
- DISCOVERe Hub: A Model for a High-Tech Tablet Support Desk
July 6, 2015
Key Takeaways This case study provides an inside look at how Fresno State designed, built, and managed a student support desk for tablet-based learning during its pilot year. …
- Educational Technology and Faculty Development in Higher Education
June 15, 2015
Assisting faculty with the instructional integration of information technology and the optimization of technology in teaching and learning are enduring themes in the top 10 IT issues in highe…
- Students' Mobile Learning Practices in Higher Education: A Multi-Year Study
June 22, 2015
Key Takeaways Two university-wide surveys about students' mobile technology ownership and learning practices show that mobile device ownership is high and continues …
- Six Trajectories for Digital Technology in Higher Education
June 22, 2015
Six individual trajectories of digital technology are enabling the ambitious goal of a responsive, personalized digital learning environment for higher education. Malcolm Brown is…
- IT Service Delivery in Higher Education
May 11, 2015
Related Resources IT Service Catalog Resources The Higher Education IT Service Catalog: A Working Model for Comparison and Collaboration , ECAR Working Group publication, April…
- Expectations for the Next Generation Digital Learning Environment
June 24, 2015
A Response to Bloggers' Comments In early May, EDUCAUSE published a white paper that summarized its research on the successor to the learning management system (LMS). We …
- Preparing the IT Organization for the Cloud
May 7, 2015
Cloud-based IT services are becoming a norm for higher education, providing researchers, faculty, students, and administrators alike with the tools that they need in order to do their work. But t…
- 2015 ACUTA/NACUBO State of Resnet Report
April 20, 2015
The 2015 report is a comprehensive survey designed to measure the broad variation in practice and policy within higher education and lay the groundwork for long-term trend analysis and benchmarki…
- TCO for Cloud Services: A Framework
April 24, 2015
One of the common justifications for moving to cloud services is cost savings , but the data are often insufficient to support such claims due to the inherent challenges in effec…