Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- 7 Things You Should Know About CBE Tools
July 10, 2014
As competency-based education (CBE) programs become more prevalent, tools have emerged to support them, ranging from software utilities that enable a single type of student project to complex, cu…
- Future Slant: Analytics
June 11, 2014
Diana Oblinger and Joanne Dehoney This is the second in a blog series describing five “metatrends,” drawn from a review of articles in industry IT press, that affect CIOs in all …
- Web Portals Survey
November 21, 2013
The following attached file is the results of a survey conducted of the Web Portals Constituent Group that ran from mid-October 2013 to beginning of November. The survey includes questions about …
- Issues in Open Access to Research
June 30, 2014
Key Takeaways Governments are pushing for systematic management and sharing of research data because of the clear benefits for the research community and the general public…
- The Learning Management System Evolution
May 20, 2014
This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs) . Information provid…
- Competency-Based Education Programs versus Traditional Data Management
May 19, 2014
Key Takeaways Competency-based education programs challenge traditional data management approaches across the academic institution because they defy conventional notions of time …
- Open Source in Higher Education: Building a Life Raft for the Perfect Storm
May 19, 2014
Ian Dolphin is Executive Director of the Apereo Foundation. We are approaching a decade and a half of experience in one strand of the higher education open agenda: the development an…
- How to Excel at Research Computing in Times of Diminishing Resources, Growing Demand, and Expanding Possibilities
April 30, 2014
For three days in January 2014, more than a hundred thought leaders met in Tempe, Arizona, to discuss the present and future challenges and opportunities for IT’s support of research . Recom…
- What Leaders Need to Know About Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems
April 17, 2014
Student success has come into sharp focus for higher education. Outcome-based funding at the state level and a completion agenda at the national level are driving innovation throughout higher…
June 2, 2014
If you’re a CIO or other senior level IT leader and you’re not actively looking to get out of the IT business, chances are you’re not doing your job right. Economic challenges are …