Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- MOOCsâ€”Key Legal and Policy Issues for Colleges and Universities
July 25, 2013
The National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), ACE, and EDUCAUAUSE held a webinar on July 25th, 2013 on the key legal and policy issues regarding massive open online course…
- Assessing Your Fiscal Bandwidth: Current Practices for Measuring IT Costs in Higher Education
May 14, 2013
Accurately and consistently measuring the cost of IT in higher education is an essential part of strategic IT management, yet according to IT leaders, cost data have proven elusive. What if a…
- Big Research Support from a Small IT Organization: Montana State University Billings
February 1, 2013
For the typical, small central IT organization with limited funding, finding the adequate resources to provide requisite infrastructure, equipment, software, and technical support can be ch…
- 2012 CDS Executive Summary Report
January 24, 2013
This report summarizes results from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) survey. Using a matched set of 616 CDS 2011 and CDS 2012 participating institutions, this year’s report is a detaile…
- Generation Schools Network: West Generation Academy
November 28, 2012
Updated November 2013 This Denver public 6-12 school operated by Generation Schools Network, which opened in Fall 2012, redesigned the academic model to a rotational blended model for gr…
- Democratizing Higher Education
October 11, 2012
In this keynote session from The Sloan Consortium Conference , Sebastian Thrun discusses his venture into MOOCs. In 2011, Thrun took his Stanford graduate level class online, and 160,000 stude…
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility
April 3, 2013
“Next generation learning” is about engaging with today’s students through “next generation” teaching and learning designs. In this white paper, the authors present a distilled …
- Leading with Stories
September 5, 2012
Carol Katzman is Vice President for Information Technology, Barnard College at Columbia University. Higher education technology leadership is rewarding, dynamic, and challenging. Du…
- Technology and the Broken Higher Education Cost Model: Insights from the Delta Cost Project
September 5, 2012
Rita Kirshstein is the Director of the Delta Cost Project and a Managing Director at the American Institutes for Research. Jane Wellman is the Founding Director of the Delta Cost Project and t…
- Analytics for Enterprise Efficiency and Effectiveness
July 26, 2012
Analytics: A 3 Day Sprint - July 26th, 2012 How is analytics used in the enterprise area? What kinds of data governance, policies and infrastructure need to be in place to ensure effective…