Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- 7 Things You Should Know About CBE Tools
July 10, 2014
As competency-based education (CBE) programs become more prevalent, tools have emerged to support them , ranging from software utilities that enable a single type of student project to com…
- Better Understanding through Data: Completion, Motivation, and Learning in Minnesota MOOCs
June 19, 2014
In the summer of 2013, faculty members at the University of Minnesota collaborated with staff from the university’s Office of Information Technology and provost’s office to deliver five massi…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Cloud Storage and Collaboration
May 5, 2014
Higher education has seen a move from consumer-level adoption of cloud services to enterprise deployment of full-scale cloud storage and collaboration platforms. Enterprise services can now o…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Competency-Based Education
February 11, 2014
Competency-based education (CBE) awards academic credit based on mastery of clearly defined competencies . CBE replaces the conventional model in which time is fixed and learning is variab…
- How Online Innovations Are Transforming Learning: A Report on the ELI Focus Session
December 20, 2013
On November 5–7, 2013, the teaching and learning community gathered for the 2013 ELI Fall Focus Session, an online event that sought to understand the ways in which innovations in online innova…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Makerspaces
October 25, 2013
Makerspaces are physical location s where people gather to share resources and knowledge , work on projects, network, and build. The "7 Things You Should Read About..." series fro…
- Keys to Developing Higher Education Breakthrough Models
September 18, 2013
Much has been written about the transformation taking place in higher education and the need for models that support an educational experience that is more accessible while also being mor…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Multimedia Assessments
September 9, 2013
Multimedia assignments are becoming widespread across all disciplines and the resources below explore various examples, methods, tools, and pedagogical approaches to develop and assess th…
- 7 Ways to Use 7 Things
September 12, 2013
The EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative is proud to celebrate the 100th edition of the 7 Things You Should Know series . The first issue was published in May 2005, addressing the topic of social …
- ELI Podcast: 7 Things Anniversary
September 16, 2013
In this podcast, ELI Director Malcolm Brown celebrates the one hundredth issue of the 7 Things You Should Know About publication. His guests include EDUCAUSE President and CEO Diana Obl…