Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Agreements or Contracts (9)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (379)
- Blogs and Wikis (5)
- Books and Monographs (2)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (4)
- Effective Practices (14)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (11)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (60)
- Policies and Procedures (33)
- Presentations and Seminars (27)
- Programs and Projects (4)
- RFPs (6)
- Surveys (12)
- Tools (14)
- Vendors (1)
- Videos (2)
- Web Sites (8)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- 2015 Strategic Information Security Issues Infographic
April 24, 2015
Featuring data from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research and the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, this infographic highlights the 2015 Top Information Security Strategic Issues selected by th…
- 2015 ACUTA/NACUBO State of Resnet Report
April 20, 2015
The 2015 report is a comprehensive survey designed to measure the broad variation in practice and policy within higher education and lay the groundwork for long-term trend analysis and benchmarki…
- IT Governance Process and Structure
April 3, 2015
These are IT Governance and IT Organizational Structure resources for the University of Minnesota, including a description of the IT governance process. …
- Personalized Learning at Scale: Case Studies of Leading Cities
November 26, 2014
Education Cities To accelerate the pace of innovation at scale, ten medium to large public school systems received funding to develop a system-wide personalized learning strategy. To reach thi…
- Looking Forward to High School and College: Middle Grade Indicators of Readiness in Chicago Public Schools
November 1, 2014
Elaine Allensworth, Julia Gwynne, Paul Moore, and Marisa de la Torre The University of Chicago Consortium on Chicago School Research Grades and attendance—not test scores—are the middle …
- Blended Learning Report
May 1, 2014
Robert Murphy, Eric Snow, Jessica Mislevy, Larry Gallagher, Andrew Krumm, Xin Wei, Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, May 2014. Research findings from a one-year study of five blended learn…
- Student Mathematics Performance in the First Two Years of Teach to One: Math
December 4, 2014
Douglas Ready, Columbia University, December 2014 Executive Summary: This report examined test-score outcomes associated with the first two years of implementation of Teach to One: Math…
- The New Forgotten Half and Research Directions to Support Them
January 1, 2015
Amid expanded college access over the past several decades, as many as 86 percent of on-time high school graduates now continue their education. But the era of “college for all” has yielded a…
- So You Think You Want to Innovate? Emerging Lessons and a New Tool for State and District Leaders Working to Build a Culture of Innovation
October 14, 2014
This publication from 2Revolutions and The Learning Accelerator leverages primary and secondary research, along with TLA and 2Rev’s industry experience, to provide an analysis of what innovatio…
- Replicating Peer-Led Team Learning in Cyberspace: Research, Opportunities, and Challenges
July 12, 2014
This quasi-experimental, mixed methods study examined the transfer of a well-established pedagogical strategy, Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL), to an online workshop environment (cPLTL) in a genera…