Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Government Documents, Laws, Letters or Testimonies [x]
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- EDUCAUSE Comments: U.S. Dept. of Education Rule-Making on Open Licensing
December 17, 2015
The American Council on Education (ACE) and EDUCAUSE submitted a letter to the U.S. Department of Education (ED) about its notice of proposed rule-making (NPRM) on open licensing. In the NPRM, ED…
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Perkins Loans Extension, Second Request
November 20, 2015
EDUCAUSE joined numerous higher education associations and institutions in a letter asking the relevant leadership in the U.S. House and Senate to give further consideration to extending the Perk…
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Support for Lingua Editors, Open Access
January 15, 2016
EDUCAUSE joined with the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the American Council on Education (ACE), and related organizations to release a letter of support for the former editors of Lin…
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Fisher v. University of Texas Amicus Brief
October 28, 2015
EDUCAUSE joined with numerous higher education associations and institutions to submit a legal brief in support of the University of Texas in the 2015 reconsideration of Fisher v. University of…
- Technology, Equality and Accessibility in College and Higher Education Act (TEACH Act) Legal Analysis
September 16, 2014
The proposed Technology, Equality and Accessibility in College and Higher Education Act (“TEACH Act”) would authorize development of accessibility guidelines for digital instructional materia…
- President Obamaâ€™s Blueprint for Keeping College Affordable and Within Reach for All Americans
January 27, 2012
This White House fact sheet from the Obama administration highlights six new reforms to promote shared responsibility to address the college affordability challenge. …
- Many States Collect Graduatesâ€™ Employment Information, but Clearer Guidance on Student Privacy Requirements Is Needed
September 27, 2010
Postsecondary education plays an important role in producing a skilled workforce able to compete in the global economy. Some stakeholders have suggested that collecting information on graduates…
- Information Technology Sector Baseline Risk Assessment
August 28, 2009
The IT Sector Baseline Risk Assessment evaluates risk to the IT Sector and focuses on critical IT Sector functions. The assessment methodology is not intended to be guidance for individual entiti…
- A National Action Plan for Addressing the Critical Needs of the U.S. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education System
October 30, 2007
The United States possesses the most innovative, technologically capable economy in the world, and yet its science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education system is failing to …
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy; Final Rule
December 10, 2008
The Education Department wanting to assure colleges about the student information they can release, recently announced new FERPA rules. The Edu…