Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Policies, Guidelines, Plans, Procedures and Tools [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Brandeis University 2015 Disaster Recovery Tabletop Exercise Plan (ExPlan)
September 3, 2015
All organizations experience unexpected and unwanted disruptions to their day-to-day operations. Too often organizations view an IT emergency as something solely handled by their IT unit. However…
- IT Accessibility Risk Statements and Evidence
July 31, 2015
This document was created by the EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group to help identify accessibility risks that IT leaders should consider in their risk management process. …
- IT Governance Process and Structure
April 3, 2015
These are IT Governance and IT Organizational Structure resources for the University of Minnesota, including a description of the IT governance process. …
- BMI Business Model Template
February 25, 2015
rpkGROUP created these pro forma templates to support the NGLC Breakthrough Models Incubator grantees in their iterative development of business models that would support their current programs…
- Web Accessibility Toolkit
May 16, 2014
This Association of Research Libraries (ARL) toolkit was created to promote the principles of accessibility, universal design, and digital inclusion. As well as help research libraries achieve di…
- University of Northern Colorado Information Management and Technology: Standards, Policies & Procedures
March 21, 2014
The University of Northern Colorado provides information technology resources to a large and varied group, including faculty, staff, students and guests. All members of this community are respo…
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model
October 10, 2013
Boston University Information Services & Technology utilizes a governance structure to guide technology planning, project prioritization, and service level management. This site includes a …
- Timeline for Planning a Breakthrough Model School
May 23, 2013
This 15-month timeline from the International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) , Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) , and the Donnell-Kay Foundation attempts to…
- Information Security Program Assessment Tool
November 20, 2015
This self-assessment tool was created to evaluate the maturity of higher education information security programs using as a framework the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 2700…
- University of Wisconsin Millwaukee 2012-13 Information Technology Strategic Plan
January 31, 2012
The University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee 2012-‐13 Information Technology Strategic Plan states its' goals for the year 2012-2012. T…