Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Web Portals Survey
November 21, 2013
The following attached file is the results of a survey conducted of the Web Portals Constituent Group that ran from mid-October 2013 to beginning of November. The survey includes questions about …
- Mobile ITâ€”2011 ECAR Survey Questionnaire
July 14, 2011
This is the July 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR study of information technology mobility in higher education. The study updates and expands our community’s understanding of how …
- ECAR 2011 Student Survey Crosswalk
October 14, 2011
In 2011, ECAR conducted two versions of its annual survey of undergraduates and information technology. This crosswalk compares questions in the two survey instruments: the February 2011 Stude…
- ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2011â€”Survey Questionnaire
October 14, 2011
This is the June 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2011 . The 2011 ECAR study was conducted in collaboration w…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education: 2011â€”Survey Questionnaire
February 28, 2011
This is the February 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. Citation for This Work : EDUCAUSE C…
- IT Workforce and Leadership in Higher Education, 2010 Survey Questionnaire
June 28, 2010
This June 2010 survey is a critical component of a new EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) study that will expand our community's understanding of the issues and concerns of cu…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education: 2010 Survey Questionnaire
February 22, 2010
This is the February 2010 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. Citation for This Work : EDUCAUSE Cen…
- IT Funding Crisis Management Survey Questionnaire
November 10, 2009
This November 2009 survey is a critical component of the EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) study on key issues related to the impact of the economic crisis on information technology fund…
- Printing Survey
July 22, 2009
These are results of an informal survey from the EDUCAUSE CIO listserv on student's printing limits. The questions asked are as follows; How many pages is a student allowed to print per …
- IHE Email Creation and Removal Policies
July 14, 2009
On June 30th, 2009 SUNY Delhi requested information from both the State University of New York and EDUCUASE CIO lists for information on the creation and removal of student email accounts. The fo…