Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Tools [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Web Accessibility Toolkit
May 16, 2014
This Association of Research Libraries (ARL) toolkit was created to promote the principles of accessibility, universal design, and digital inclusion. As well as help research libraries achieve di…
- RETHINK: Planning and Designing for K-12 Next Generation Learning
June 10, 2013
This toolkit from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) and the International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) is for K-12 district, charter, and school leaders to use in the ve…
- Exploring and Designing Breakthrough Models in Higher Education
April 23, 2013
The shifting forces challenging higher education, both within and outside the academy, have dominated countless newspaper headlines and led to a flurry of new books and research discussing trend…
- Timeline for Planning a Breakthrough Model School
May 23, 2013
This 15-month timeline from the International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) , Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) , and the Donnell-Kay Foundation attempts to…
- Information Security Program Assessment Tool
February 3, 2014
This self-assessment tool was created to evaluate the maturity of higher education information security programs using as a framework the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 2700…
- Top Information Security Concerns for Campus Executives & Data Stewards
September 22, 2010
This new Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) resource, Top Information Security Concerns for Campus Executives & Data Stewards, is the first in a series of awareness message…
- Electronic Records Management Toolkit
August 14, 2009
Members of the Higher Education Information Security Council crated this toolkit to provide a practical set of resources that will assist members of the higher education community in addressing r…
- Compliance Assessment Template
September 24, 2008
This sample Harvard University questionnaire is designed to assist people in understanding if the setup and operation of their systems are in compliance with the Harvard Enterprise Information …
- Disaster Preparedness and Recovery
August 21, 2007
This is ALA's Disaster Preparedness and Recovery" page, resources found on this page includes; Disaster Mitigation Planning Assistance Website, Flood Mitigation Assistance Program: FE…
- Business Continuity Planning Toolkit
May 29, 2008
The purpose of this toolkit is to provide resources for business continuity and disaster recovery planning, including guides, templates, examples and tips. The information provided herein is in…