Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- 2015 Strategic Information Security Issues Infographic
April 24, 2015
Featuring data from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research and the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, this infographic highlights the 2015 Top Information Security Strategic Issues selected by th…
- EDUCAUSE Research Snapshot: Benchmarking to Inform Planning
April 27, 2015
An EDUCAUSE Research Snapshot infographic delving into benchmarking to inform planning April 27, 2015 …
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Student Success
September 9, 2014
This infographic shares 7 lessons learned on scaling technology-enabled innovations designed to improve college student success in developmental and introductory gateway courses. It draws upon fi…
- Administrative and Enterprise IT Systems
July 14, 2014
Click here to download PDF July 14, 2014 ERM1444 …
- ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2013 - Infographic
September 18, 2013
ECAR has surveyed undergraduate students annually since 2004 about technology in higher education. In 2013, ECAR collaborated with more than 250 higher education institutions to collect responses…
- The Enterprise Application Landscape in Higher Education
August 12, 2013
* In 2012, nearly 600 institutions completed this module of CDS. Respondents entered vendor and product information in open text boxes. We recoded the data to normalize the many variations in pro…
- Measuring User Satisfaction: Why It's Important and How to Do It - Infographic
August 16, 2012
As institutions look to reduce or contain costs, CIOs, institutional leaders, and service managers are challenged to optimize service delivery based on costs, features, and quality. Evaluating se…
- ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2012 Infographic
September 17, 2012
ECAR has surveyed undergraduate students annually since 2004 about technology in higher education. In 2012, ECAR collaborated with 195 institutions to collect responses from more than 100,000 stu…
- Interactive Graphic: Top-Ten IT Issues Over Time
June 6, 2012
Interactive graphic of longitudinal rankings of the top ten IT issues since 2000. June 6, 2012 …
- ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2011 Infographic
October 13, 2011
Click the image to see a larger version Back to Research Report Hub Beginning in 2004, ECAR has conducted an annual study of und…