Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Optimizing Computing Infrastructure: Weighing Factors and Identifying Solutions
March 1, 2013
So, you've identified the problem and maybe even a set of possible solutions for your IT project. How do you decide which solution will best meet the needs of your campus or IT organization?…
- ACTI-CCM Working Group Status Report (1/10/12)
January 10, 2012
Presentation from the ACTI Communication, Collaboration, and Mobility (ACTI-CCM) Working Group at the ACTI 2012 Member Meeting on January 10, 2012. This presents on the group's main focus…
- The Importance of Doing Enterprise (and Infrastructure)
October 17, 2012
...as Oscar Wilde well might have titled an essay about campus-wide IT, had there been such a thing back then. Enterprise IT it accounts for the lion's share of campus IT staffing, expenditu…
- What's Next for Campus Cyberinfrastructure? ACTI Responds to the NSF ACCI Reports
July 16, 2012
In February 2009, a joint workshop of the EDUCAUSE Advanced Core Technologies Initiative Campus Cyberinfrastructure Working Group (ACTI-CCI) and the Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation …
- ACTI-OCI Working Group Status Report (1/10/12)
January 10, 2012
Presentation from the ACTI Optimizing Computing Infrastructure (ACTI-OCI) Working Group at the ACTI 2012 Member Meeting on January 10, 2012. This presents on the group's 2012 goals, includin…