Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Getting Started in Privacy: Recommendations from the Higher Education Chief Privacy Officers (HE-CPO)
April 1, 2013
Whether you are a Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) at your institution, have responsibility for privacy on your campus, or just want to learn more about becoming a privacy professional in higher educa…
- Digital Curation Resource Guide
August 13, 2012
Charles W. Bailey Jr , of Digital Scholarship, has put together this resource guide of over 200 selected English-language websites and documents that are useful in understanding and conducting di…
- Analytics Resources Bibliography
February 1, 2012
This annotated bibliography aggregates a wide range of resources related to analytics in higher education, from basic introductory material to more complex treatments of sub-topics. It also cont…
- Cyberinfrastructure Resources
January 21, 2009
This bibliography is a list of publications collected to specifically provide a higher education perspective on cyberinfrastructure, e-research, and e-scholarship. …
- Classroom Response System Bibliography
February 21, 2008
This resource is a bibliography of articles on classroom response systems (CRSs). Most of the articles present some form of research on the effectiveness or impact of CRSs on student learning. …
- Recommended Readings on the Top-Ten IT Issues
October 18, 2007
Recommended Readings on the Top-Ten IT Issues The following list provides recommended readings for each of the top-ten information technology issues identified by the 2007 EDUCAUSE Current Iss…
- ILRT Z39.50 Resources Directory
January 1, 2005
This resource page includes general information on Z39.50, along with search, software, international scope, implementation, other standards, technology and services, and events concerning Z39.50. …
- Course Models and Materials: National Science Foundation (NSF) Exemplary Projects
January 1, 2005
A bibliography of interactive learning resources created for the NLII 2005 Summer Focus Session. A bibliography of interactive learning resources creat…
- ELI 2005 Fall Focus Session, The Design of Informal Spaces Informal Space Design References and Resources
January 1, 2005
ELI's 2005 Fall Focus Session explored how appropriately designed informal spaces can contribute to successful learning. The session planning committee developed the following set of articles,…
- Recommended Readings on Information Technology Issues
January 1, 2001
EDUCAUSE offers a list of readings on each of the top-ten information technology issues indentified by the 2001 Current Issues Survey. EDUCAUSE off…