Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Books and Monographs [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Case Study 21: Shaping the Path to Digital: The Indiana University eTexts Initiative
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Brad Wheeler and Nik Osborne This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License Introduction The risi…
- Case Study 9: The Open University of Hong Kong: The i-Counseling System
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Chun Ming Leung and Eva Tsang This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License Need/Rati…
- Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge
September 16, 2008
Given the abundance of open education initiatives that aim to make educational assets freely available online, the time seems ripe to explore the potential of open education to transform the econ…
- Net Generation Students and Libraries
January 1, 2005
In this chapter from "Educating the Net Generation", Joan Lippincott of the Coalition of Networked Information challenges us to realign library programs, services, and spaces with the Net…
- The Internet and the University: 2003 Forum
January 1, 2004
The Internet and the University: Forum 2003 includes the papers presented and discussed at the Forum on the Internet and the University, held during the Forum's 2003 Aspen Symposium. The Int…
- Technology Everywhere: A Campus Agenda for Educating and Managing Workers in the Digital Age
January 1, 2002
Technology Everywhere addresses the dual role played by colleges and universities that must recruit, hire, and train knowledge worker professionals and educate IT learners to manage the ever …
- Information Alchemy: The Art and Science of Knowledge Management
January 1, 2000
Written for university presidents, college deans, program directors, and other leaders in higher education, this volume presents a foundational introduction to knowledge management and its growin…
- The Mirage of Continuity: Reconfiguring Academic Information Resources for the 21st Century
January 1, 1998
This book of essays, which CLIR is publishing in partnership with the Association of American Universities, comes to grips with the profound, and indeed transforming, changes technology will effe…