Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Instructional Technologies (492)
- E-Learning (473)
- Assessment and Evaluation (316)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) (291)
- Faculty Development (278)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (225)
- Instructional Design (222)
- Learning Space (191)
- Multimedia (174)
- Social Media (174)
- IT Integration (164)
- Support for Teaching and Learning (157)
- Online Learning (143)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (831)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (481)
- Libraries and Technology (307)
- Information Systems and Services (201)
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- U.S. Postsecondary Faculty in 2015: Attitudes, Pedagogy, and Change
August 10, 2015
A session at the ELI Webinar: U.S. Postsecondary Faculty in 2015
There is a clear demand for change in U.S. higher education, driven by concerns for access, cost, and student success. In response, much significant innovation is already taking place.However, peda…
- Instructor Engagement: Building Trust with Innovative Technology
April 21, 2014
Encouraging pedagogical innovation can be a challenge. This presentation will show tech tools to hook instructors on using technology , creating an environment for sustainable technological …
- Getting Started with AWS Educate:: Amazon's New Grants-Based Cloud Initiative for Education
August 3, 2015
A session at the ELI Webinar: Getting Started with AWS Educate
Join Malcolm Brown, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI associate director, as they moderate this webinar with Ken Eisner. With the increasing demand for individuals enter…
- Elephants, Technology, and You: Making Learning Personal
July 6, 2015
A session at the ELI Webinar: Elephants, Technology, and You
As the higher education student body becomes more diverse (age, ethnicity, life circumstances, etc.), meeting the needs of each individual learner will be not just important but an imperative for i…
- Directions for the Digital Learning Environment: the CIO's Perspective
June 16, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Directions for the Digital Learning Environment
Change in higher education is most visible and palpable in the domain of teaching and learning. On the technology side, it is characterized most strongly by the emergence of the digital learning en…
- What's Up, Doc? Leading Technology-Based Innovations in Medical Education
May 8 - June 8, 2015
Postsecondary education is a rich tapestry comprising undergraduate, graduate, and adult learners. In each of these dimensions, technology is rapidly and continually changing the game. What is sh…
- Measuring the Effectiveness of Online/Blended Programs
April 8, 2015
Join Malcolm Brown, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI associate director, as they moderate this special two-hour webinar hosted by the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative and…
- Understanding the Evolution of E-Portfolio Practice: Where Do We Go from Here?
January 13, 2014
Join Malcolm Brown and Veronica Diaz as they moderate this webinar with Gary Brown and Helen Chen. According to ECAR's annual study of undergraduate students and IT, seven times as many st…
- Developments in Higher Education Educational Technology: The Horizon Report in Action
March 24, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Developments in Higher Education Educational Technology
Wondering what the new developments in educational technology are for higher education? Or what the most important teaching and learning focus areas are for the community? Join Malcolm Brown and …
- Teaching, Learning, Assessment, & Analytics: Librarians as Value-Added Partners
March 9, 2015
A session at the ELI Webinar: Teaching, Learning, Assessment, and Analytics
Academic librarians are actively engaged in the dialogue about higher education effectiveness and quality and adding to this work by creating approaches, strategies, and practices that document t…