Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- New Year, New Challenges: Preparing Your Campus for Data Privacy and Security Issues in the Year Ahead
December 19, 2013
As technology continues to evolve, so do the data privacy and security risks facing colleges and universities. New products and programs have made it easier to teach, gather, and share informat…
- Advancing Without New Resources
August 12, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Live! - Advancing without New Resources
As we look to the future of IT services in higher education, five things are almost certain: (1) demand for IT services and infrastructure will continue to grow; (2) off-premise (cloud) services …
- Fostering a Place for Invention and Creation: Two Approaches to Makerspaces on Campus
October 28, 2013
Learn how two institutions provide space for fabrication and collaboration with access to advanced tools such as 3D printers and laser cutters. Case Western Reserve University's thin…
- Researchers and the Petabyte Go Global: Preparing the Next Generation of Innovators
May 13, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Researchers and the Petabyte Go Global
New technologies and new cloud infrastructures are changing the landscape of research for all researchers, not just those working in computer science and informatics. Fundamental changes in scale…
- The EDUCAUSE 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues: Be the Change You See
April 16, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The EDUCAUSE 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues
This year marks a turning point for higher education IT organizations, when the new ideas, solutions, and models that have been accumulating in higher education and technology will hit them-and t…
- Mobile Essentials for Faculty
April 2, 2014
A session at the Online Spring Focus Session - Faculty Engagement and Development
This session will introduce you to UCFs mobile learning professional development course. The course was derived from the results of the 2012 Mobile/E-Textbook Survey, which indicated that while t…
- A Cloud Total Cost of Ownership Model for IT Decision Making
June 12, 2014
A session at the Administrative IT Summit
Higher education lacks a consistent methodology to compare the costs of cloud- and campus-based IT services when considering alternatives. Hidden subsidies, apples-to-oranges costs, and qualitati…
- Untethering Faculty with Mobile Innovation
May 1, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Baltimore
To spark interest in mobile technology, it takes a suite of activities and outreach efforts, including technology showcases and monthly gatherings with demonstrations by and for faculty. In this …
- Developing Mobile Apps to Meet the Needs of Faculty in Teaching and Research
March 17, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Chicago
Bring your experience and questions to contribute to a "think tank" discussion on meeting the mobile app needs of faculty in both their teaching and in their research. OUTCOMES:…
- Mobile Support Solutions for a Distributed, Regionally Diverse Organization
March 18, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Chicago
We're a small area of a larger research institution charged with supporting regional locations and online education. Come learn about the tools we use to provide on-demand support to nine re…