Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office [x]
Filter by Presentations
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- What We're Learning from eTexts
December 10, 2012
Presentation given at the CNI fall 2012 membership meeting. Faculty, students, authors, and publishers all have a stake in the evolution of textbooks. As texts and business models are transfor…
- HEOA Peer-to-Peer Forum Presentations
May 18, 2012
These are MPAA and UNC presentations from the HEOA Peer-to-Peer Forum jointly sponsored by EDUCAUSE and NBCUniversal on April 7, 2012. Attendees included Troy Dow, Disney Trac…
- Partly Cloudy? What a CBO Should Know about Cloud Computing
June 29, 2009
Cloud computingÂ presents an opportunity for outsourcing what have long been core internal IT functions and systems on campus. In the coming months and years, many institutions will be explorin…
- Insights on the Legal Landscape for Data Privacy in Higher Education
February 29, 2008
This opening address was presented at the University System of Maryland's Workshop on Data Privacy for Maryland Higher Education. This open…
- Data Classification and Privacy: A Foundation for Compliance
February 29, 2008
These slides were presented at the University System of Maryland's Workshop on Data Privacy for Maryland Higher Education. These slides were…
- 2007 EDUCAUSE Cyberinfrastructure (CI) Summit Proceedings
August 22, 2007
This is an overview of the entire summit. This page includes the final report, presentations and Recommended Readings. This is an overview of th…
- Connecting the Academic Experience to the Operational Security Needs of Higher Education
January 1, 2007
One of the criteria for becoming a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education is for "the academic program to demonstrate how the university encourages the pract…
- Special Webcast on CALEA
January 1, 2006
On Tuesday, Aug. 1 2006, EDUCAUSE presented a free 90-minute Webcast on CALEA, covering our current understanding of how compliance requirements will be applied to higher education. To access th…
- CALEA Panel Discussion
January 1, 2004
Webcast of CALEA Panel Discussion at the Internet2 Fall 2004 membership meeting. CALEA is the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, initially passed in 1994. Under CALEA, providers of…
- Statement on Behalf of Higher Education on Release of the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace
January 1, 2002
Comments of Mark Luker, Vice President of EDUCAUSE, at Event to Announce National Strategy, September 18, 2002 Comments of Mark Luker, Vice President o…