Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Understanding the Evolution of E-Portfolio Practice: Where Do We Go from Here?
January 13, 2014
Join Malcolm Brown and Veronica Diaz as they moderate this webinar with Gary Brown and Helen Chen. According to ECAR's annual study of undergraduate students and IT, seven times as many st…
- The Value Proposition for Badging in Higher Education Professional Development
August 20, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Live! - The Value Proposition for Badging in Higher Education Professional Development
What's all the buzz about badging? Badging has rapidly become a viable method to document accomplishments gained throughout your career, whether before, during, or after completing a degree.…
- Advancing Without New Resources
August 12, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Live! - Advancing without New Resources
As we look to the future of IT services in higher education, five things are almost certain: (1) demand for IT services and infrastructure will continue to grow; (2) off-premise (cloud) services …
- Quality Matters for MOOCs: Results and Implications of the First QM MOOC Reviews
December 2, 2013
In this webinar we’ll present the results of the first set of Quality Matters reviews of MOOCs developed for general and remedial education students. The strengths and weaknesses, relat…
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cybersecurity Engagement for Colleges and Universities
July 24, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cybersecurity Engagement for Colleges and Universities
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is increasing its efforts to enhance cybersecurity awareness and network protection at colleges and universities in response to the recent wave of c…
- Fostering a Place for Invention and Creation: Two Approaches to Makerspaces on Campus
October 28, 2013
Learn how two institutions provide space for fabrication and collaboration with access to advanced tools such as 3D printers and laser cutters. Case Western Reserve University's thin…
- Assessment of E-Book Strategies
June 25, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Assessment of E-Book Strategies
What do we know about the use and acceptance of e-books by students and faculty? At the December CNI Executive Roundtable, "E-book Strategies," several institutions reported on data col…
- Ithaka S+R US Library Survey 2013
July 10, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Ithaka S+R US Library Survey 2013
In fall 2013, Ithaka S+R surveyed academic library deans and directors across the US on their organizational vision and strategy, resource planning, and decision making. With a response rate of m…
- Who Moved My Office? The Evolving Role of the CISO
June 19, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Who Moved My Office? The Evolving Role of the CISO
In a fast-paced world of innovation, mobility, outsourcing, and social technology, today's chief information security officers must possess a blend of warrior-like technical skills combined …
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization
May 28, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization
With a rapidly changing environment, ever-increasing demands for resources, and the need for greater agility and transparency, IT organizations must have the right structures in place to ensure s…